SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-03-09, 04:47 PM   #1
Berlin

Default DVLA Debt Collectors.

We got a letter through today fro a debt collection company claiming we could settle out of court for a DVLA SORN infringment, for a car that we sold 3 Years ago!

Unless we pay this amount it will go to court.

I phoned them thinking it was a scam and it turns out we haven't got a leg to stand on.

The Moron who bought the car (we know him) blew it up after a month of ownership and didn't bother SORNing it... or sending the log book off.

As we moved house at the same time the SORN reminders went to the old address and so the first we know about it is the debt collection agency sending the letter./ The car was scrapped lasy July after standing in a farmers filed for two years.

Turns out that its out fault for not getting an aknowledgement that the registration transfer had completed (how would we? we moved house). We sent off our part but the DVLC "Didn't receive it". Handy.

So now we've got to shell out or receive a court summons.

****ards.

Carl
Old 23-03-09, 04:50 PM   #2
gettin2dizzy

Default Re: DVLA Debt Collectors.

Sounds iffy to me. I'd check this out properly before handing any money over.
Old 23-03-09, 05:00 PM   #3
G
Mega Poster

So they can send stuff to you that never comes and thats ok.........but if you send off the slip when you sell you car and it does not get to them.....bam big fine what a joke
Old 23-03-09, 05:16 PM   #4
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Don't take their word for it. Get yourself some legal advice. As they are the ones that are chasing money, it is up to them to prove that you are responsible for the debt. If you have any friends or family or anyone in a profession that can give a reference on your behalf that the vehicle was sold, you will stand a good chance of sorting it out. I'm pretty sure you have registered your new address against othet cars/bikes in the last three years, so why have they not written to you before now?

My guess is, they got your letter, have tried to find the new keeper details, come to a dead end and so are now chasing you. Letters like that are intended to intimidate, but at the same time, you should take it seriously.

For now, write a letter in reply stating that you are going to seek legal advice and include, if you remember, any of the details of the person you sold the car to.

Then.....get in touch with CAB and/or a solicitor and learn what your real position is before you part with any cash!

Good luck mate!
Old 23-03-09, 05:50 PM   #5
Berlin

All checked out. I immediately thought "Con" so phoned them up to have some fun. Listened to what they said then thoned the DVLA

In the DVLA's words "We've done so well we decided to let them [the debt collectors] go back as far as they could to recover every debt they can".

Turns out that it doesn't matter that the car has had TWO new owners before it was scrapped. At the time it was (wrongly) still registered to us.

There's a get out clause on the back of the V5 for absolving them of any blame in the case that they don't recieve or lose the new registration. Its up to US to get in contact if we do not receive confirmation of transfer within 4 weeks. We didn't because we moved house at the same time and didn't know the confirmation never arrived.

To me it smacks of racketeering in hard times. Punish those that actually have something to take.

****ards.

Needless to say, I'll be appealing it.

Carl
Old 23-03-09, 05:53 PM   #6
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
All checked out. I immediately thought "Con" so phoned them up to have some fun. Listened to what they said then thoned the DVLA

In the DVLA's words "We've done so well we decided to let them [the debt collectors] go back as far as they could to recover every debt they can".

Turns out that it doesn't matter that the car has had TWO new owners before it was scrapped. At the time it was (wrongly) still registered to us.

There's a get out clause on the back of the V5 for absolving them of any blame in the case that they don't recieve or lose the new registration. Its up to US to get in contact if we do not receive confirmation of transfer within 4 weeks. We didn't because we moved house at the same time and didn't know the confirmation never arrived.

To me it smacks of racketeering in hard times. Punish those that actually have something to take.

****ards.

Needless to say, I'll be appealing it.

Carl
Yeah, you should. Just keep on top of it so they don't slam a CCJ on you!
Old 23-03-09, 05:57 PM   #7
littleperson

Who's to say the paper work was sent off ent "they didnt receive it" your fault, the new owner, the post office or the DVLA!
Some could have received it at their end and lost it

It your word against theirs and they have to prove your the guilty party
Too mnay of's and but's after all this time take legal advice and see what they say about it all

Good luck us little folk have to stand up to the giants otherwise they walk all over us everytime
Old 23-03-09, 06:01 PM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quite the norm these days.Its difficult to catch and control real criminals and fraudsters so they make ordinary law abiding citizens into fraudsters and criminals because they are easy targets.Then they take you to the cleaners because they can.
Old 23-03-09, 07:21 PM   #9
Nostrils

The DVLA are the new Stasi. The same goes when you get your licence renewed for change of address. Far too many people have found that their previous entitlement to dirve certain vehicles has disappeared from their licence. You call DVLA and they basically say "Prove It" - I have kept copies of all my DAS, CBT certificates, copy of both sides of the pic licence and both sides of the paper slip.....paranoid, you bet where the DVLA is concerned.

In your case, I would certainly seek legal advice and many solicitors offer a free 30min consultation to lead you in the right direction, bearing in mind that the DVLA are not the ones chasing the money, the debt collector's are your problem!

Good Luck and hope you get the correct justice
Old 23-03-09, 07:33 PM   #10
Razor

Well that's worrying, I sold a gixer frame years ago and far as I know it's off the road but still in my name...