SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-10-18, 07:33 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default New maths?

I have just received an email from my energy supplier, Bulb energy, who inform me that I'm using more energy than predicted and, unless I change my direct debit I will be in arrears by £26 next year. They want me to increase my monthly debit by £16. £16 x 12 = £192. I think I'll leave it.

It has left me questioning my power usage though. Since the last statement I've used the gas fire 3 times and the central heating once. I have LED lights throughout which are switched off when not in the room, I rarely use the cooker, just the microwave. My fridge is old (and inefficient) but I have a meter fitted to it which informs me it's using about £95/year, like it did last year. (a new fridge of the same size would use £45-£60/yr).

I also have a power meter that measures the electricity consumption of the entire house, it's default power reading is 113W (with all major items off) and I have never figured out what is using that. I have disconnected the various transformers for small items but the only time the meter went to zero was when the breaker tripped.

Edit: I forgot that I ran a dehumidifier for 3 weeks, 24hrs/day (duh!)

Last edited by Seeker; 11-10-18 at 07:53 AM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-18, 09:09 AM   #2
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: New maths?

You need a hobby
Old 11-10-18, 09:58 AM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The whole idea of a DD is that energy cost is spread out over the whole year, suppliers are always messing about with DD amount, I have changed suppliers 3 times over DD. If you get through winter to the end of March and and still have more than 1 or 2 DD payments as credit with supplier you are probably paying too much, but that is how your supplier likes it, money in their account not yours. It is probably why they started selling petrol in litres instead of gallons, if price goes up a few pence a litre it will be 4.6x that per gallon, but they hope people will not notice a few pence on a litre. If they charge every month instead of 6 monthly or annually they hope people will not notice, it was only new legislation that came in that made them inform you of price rises and increases in DD, otherwise they never used to bother.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-18, 10:14 AM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

When I saw 'new maths' I though you meant this.... (courtesy of Puny Express)

1. Teaching Maths In 1950...

A logger sells a truckload of timber for £100.
His cost of production is 4/5 of the price.
What is his profit?
£____

2. Teaching Maths In 1970...

His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or £80.
What is his profit?
£___

3. Teaching Maths In 1990...

His cost of production is £80.
Did he make a profit?
__Yes or __No

4. Teaching Maths In 2000...

His cost of production is £80 and his profit is £20.
Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Maths In 2015...

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands.
He does this so he can make a profit of £20.

What do you think of this way of making a living?

Topic for class participation after answering the question:
How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes?

There are no wrong answers, feel free to express your feelings e.g, anger, anxiety, inadequacy, helplessness etc.
Should you require debriefing at conclusion of exam there are counsellors available to assist you adjust back into the real world.

6. Teaching Maths In 2025...

مسجل تبيع شاحنة محملة بالأخشاب مقابل 100 دولار.
أن تكلفة الإنتاج هو 4/5 السعر.
ما هو الربح له؟

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-18, 10:29 AM   #5
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I have one; I crash radio control model aircraft into sugar beet fields (I thought they were turnips).
How inconsiderate. Sugar beet farmers face enough issues in this country without vandals like you polluting the air and crashing into their fields for nothing but your own amusement
Old 11-10-18, 10:56 AM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

i deliberately over pay every month on my gas/leccy DD. its like a little piggy bank that i cant get my hands on and get a refund every 6 months. this goes towards my holiday in the summer and xmas gifts. if it was in my bank i would spend it on rubbish each month.

i would rather they owe me that have to find the money if i owed them.

its like all the running around and hassle changing suppliers just to save pennies. i'll stick with Scottish hydro who have always been superb unlike the shower of UPOS British gas/leccy, that company really does take the pizzzz.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-18, 11:03 AM   #7
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
No sugar beets were injured at the scene of this disaster, although some mud was removed from the site.
And I hope you didn't scare any birds or squirrels. Or give any bunnies a headache.
Old 11-10-18, 11:04 AM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

new maths... i thought it was going to be about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachtenberg_system

i had the book when it was banned in the UK. it turns what we are taught at school on its head and to this day i dont understand why they dont teach it in schools... if you struggle with maths then i would highly recommend you buy the book as it makes maths super simple.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-18, 11:06 AM   #9
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i deliberately over pay every month on my gas/leccy DD. its like a little piggy bank that i cant get my hands on and get a refund every 6 months. this goes towards my holiday in the summer and xmas gifts. if it was in my bank i would spend it on rubbish each month.

i would rather they owe me that have to find the money if i owed them.
Yeah I tend to do this - it's the way the companies set it up, so it's kinda hard not to. But I forget and don't get regular refunds.

So I get a nice little bonus every time I switch suppliers.
Old 11-10-18, 11:40 AM   #10
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Bulb are, from reading reviews, notorious for this sort of price hike, as at a lot of other low-price pseudo-suppliers. But the look good on uSwitch, don't they?
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote