SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-06-08, 08:45 PM   #1
scottjames

Default curvey crash bobbins.

i know its been asked before but got lost in all the banter. which bobbins do you guys rate for the faired curvey?

herd R and G bend quite easy, some one also mentioned them cheap ones on ebay arent too bad for the price.

also the fixing point got to me, its best to get the one which replace the whole engine bolt right?

cheers scott.

ps any pic would be good..
Old 12-06-08, 10:04 PM   #2
Grinch

Default Re: curvey crash bobbins.

I have old Style R&G's which work well but replacements are hard to find as R&G no longer do them. The last ones I used before the insurance replaced them where GSG Moto nice and strong and I have a set now on my 'quarter' faired SV, so I like them. The other ones that I hear mentioned are MotoSliders from the states, that are rated rather highly, never used them myself.
Old 13-06-08, 09:53 AM   #3
Dangerous Dave

Default Re: curvey crash bobbins.

JHS racing made the best but unfortunately they nolonger make them, they next best is Motosliders.

Personally I wouldn't opt for the R&G's, there are a few flaws with the design that even some people at R&G would admit that. The only way to rectify this is for R&G to redesign the whole thing, but that would mean giving in and listening to what everybody has been complaining about for the past few years!

I am not saying they are terrible but if you think how much they cost (more than Motosliders) and how much protection they really offer (less than Motosliders) is it really sensible to get them? I have tested R&G's personally and on several track bikes, this involved standard and modified and to be honest they were no match for JHS or Motosliders.

R&G do make good crash bungs, just not for the SV650!

Avoid any cheap bungs which mount on either the front or rear cylinder mount (DHM for example), as these bolts are not strong enough to take the force.

The main thing to remember is having crash bungs doesn't mean your bike will not get damaged if you crash, they are there to possibly help reduce the damage!