SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-11-07, 10:24 AM   #1
gettin2dizzy

Exclamation Fortress Britain

The Labour 'Regime' has announced plans for 'Fortress Britain', a policy aimed on tightening security throughout Britain. This may be of particular interest to anyone who chooses not to watch 'I'm a celebrity...'...

The plans unveiled are to introduce scanning machines at 250 railways stations to scan bags for bombs; it does seem like a somewhat absurd measure as anyone planning a bombing could choose to board at any of the other 2000+ stations in Britain. I know these extremeists are lunatics but they are pretty effective at blowing things up I have to admit and I don't doubt it would take them long to figure out this loophole. I'll be happy for a 'check in time' to be included in my rail travel, and to pay for the whole process yes; the train network have been too quick and cheap for many years already, cheeky devils.

Gordon doesn't stop his deluded castle plans here, he also plans on tightening air travel to the point that he may aswell insist on travellers carry a 'Assport': a passport firmly shoved up your rectum -his proposals are so invasive:
Quote:
travellers may also have to provide up to 53 separate pieces of information, including their e-mail, billing address, and contact numbers, to the Home Office under the electronic borders scheme.
53 pieces of information?! I filled in less paperwork to clear for arms manufacture! But if this increases our saftey on Britain I suppose it's priceless.... well almost, there's a small £1.3 billion initial cost. Gordon hasn't stated whether he'll be contributing to this yet. If only he read this forum so he could answer? but we all know that motorbikes are as welcome in London as Brazilians so I doubt it.

So with Britain safe Gordons now turned his hand to preventing terrorism from it's birth. He's kindly spending £400 million overseas educating students about Islam and even setting up a European Centre for Excellence for Islamic Studies. You have to wonder which rich Muslim helped Gordon with this desicion, after all for him to be stood intimately close to Gordons backside surely is a sin punishible by stoning to death under Shariah law.

Is this a serious proposal? We're being told to sacrifice our freedom and even at our financial expense? As long as we accept fundamentalists beliefs we will have terrorism, end of.
Old 15-11-07, 10:52 AM   #2
Bear

Default Re: Fortress Britain

Okay, I see what you're saying here in the first bit, but the racist claptrap at the end undermines your argument. Islam is not a fundamentalist religion. It is a religion that has fundamentalists in it, in the same way as Christianity or any of the other religions. In my opinion the best way to stop terrorism is not to demonise and therefore radicalise a whole generation of one of the largest religions on the planet, but to try to work with them to try to come to some form of compromise.
Old 15-11-07, 11:58 AM   #3
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Okay, I see what you're saying here in the first bit, but the racist claptrap at the end undermines your argument. Islam is not a fundamentalist religion. It is a religion that has fundamentalists in it, in the same way as Christianity or any of the other religions. In my opinion the best way to stop terrorism is not to demonise and therefore radicalise a whole generation of one of the largest religions on the planet, but to try to work with them to try to come to some form of compromise.
It's the extremeists that are doing this. Britain has been more than accomodating towards their beliefs.

Islam is a fundamentalist religion entirely. You can not be of Muslim belief and live a non-muslim lifestlye, try that in the Middle East and you won't live another day.
Old 15-11-07, 12:03 PM   #4
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
It's the extremeists that are doing this. Britain has been more than accomodating towards their beliefs.
That's not why extremists are erm, extreme. It's more because of what happens in other countries, ie, our foreign policy. Some people say extremeists are brainwashed, but that's debatable really (who has proven that to be the case?).

Back to the point of the thread:

About the train station's, they have to start somewhere, surely? The scanning machines are expensive, so you can't expect a roll-out to every station immediately. I wouldn't expect a perfect solution straight away, but one to build on is better than nothing at all.

As for the costs at train stations, I haven't used a train in years, so I couldn't care.

About the electronic borders scheme, that's simple. There is talk of implementing a bio-metric style passport, so the information could easily be contained within there. Until that's implemented, a USB Flash drive doesn't take up much space in your luggage, and that could be handed to customs "Here you go, everything you need to know is on this, just plug it in & away you go."

Sorry, but where's the problem with all of this? The only problem I can see is that as a tax payer, it will be us that pay for it all.

But then, if it will help (not gurantee) secure safety for my kids, the price is always going to be negotiable.
Old 15-11-07, 12:06 PM   #5
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
About the train station's, they have to start somewhere, surely? The scanning machines are expensive, so you can't expect a roll-out to every station immediately. I wouldn't expect a perfect solution straight away, but one to build on is better than nothing at all.

As for the costs at train stations, I haven't used a train in years, so I couldn't care.

About the electronic borders scheme, that's simple. There is talk of implementing a bio-metric style passport, so the information could easily be contained within there. Until that's implemented, a USB Flash drive doesn't take up much space in your luggage, and that could be handed to customs "Here you go, everything you need to know is on this, just plug it in & away you go."

Sorry, but where's the problem with all of this? The only problem I can see is that as a tax payer, it will be us that pay for it all.

But then, if it will help (not gurantee) secure safety for my kids, the price is always going to be negotiable.
Passports already have RFID in them! They were quiet about that one

The amount of information required is the type of information they'd look for if they were checking you out, reading you emails, checking your phone records. It's big brother gone mad for no obvious benefit. £2 billion could be spent so wisely in our country, or perhaps take the burden off the low earners.

Last edited by gettin2dizzy; 15-11-07 at 12:09 PM.
Old 15-11-07, 12:08 PM   #6
Baph

Quote:
Passports already have RFID in them! They were quiet about that one
RFID is not enough to store the required information, and I for one, would complain under the Data Protection Act if all the information required was to be held in one central place, with the RFID tag being a key to search the DB on.

I can also gurantee that my passport doesn't have RFID, it's a couple of years old, and I used to work with RFID scanners quite a lot, if there was anything there, it'd of shown up & I'd of thought it odd to say the least.
Old 15-11-07, 12:11 PM   #7
gettin2dizzy

They're not hidden at all, there's a whole page with one one under clear plastic. They've even been cracked
http://www.bzangygroink.co.uk/wordpr...chips-cracked/

Last edited by gettin2dizzy; 15-11-07 at 12:14 PM.
Old 15-11-07, 12:13 PM   #8
Baph

Quote:
They're not hidden at all, there's a whole page with one one under clear plastic. They're definately in use - I'll take a photo of it at some point
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it's not in use (I know it is). I said my passport doesn't have any RFID chips. Like I said, it's old (due for renewal next year probably).

That doesn't change the fact that RFID chips could not contain all the information, there's simply not enough storage space. Add a couple more pages, and perhaps. A better way to do it would be a SIM like chip, which can hold far more information, but requires electronic contact. Maybe this combined with RFID.
Old 15-11-07, 12:22 PM   #9
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I dont believe all this high tech surveillance will help prevent terrorism at all.It might help to discover who did it after the event,but suicide bombers wont care about that.What is needed is good old fashioned intelligence work,meticulous analysis and infiltration of the enemy,just like the methods used to undermine the IRA.
General surveillance technology is just an excuse to dominate the wider population,the vast majority of whom are no more likely to be terrorists than Sir Ian Blair.
Old 15-11-07, 12:58 PM   #10
licoricepizza

Why is it that the British poulation requires all the identification when in so many cases the terrorism invoves foreign nationals? Are we going to insist that every Tom, **** and Mohammed produces 53 seperate pieces of information? They have ID cards in Spain, it didn't stop the Madrid bombing.

Edit: The **** got rid of a name, how funny.