SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-04-18, 09:27 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Cruisers

Has anyone here ridden or owned a cruiser? I've never ridden one but, to me, they've always looked uncomfortable.

This is a two person test of the HD 114 Fat Bob, the lady is 5'5, I'm 5'6'. She says the bike was comfortable but in each picture she doesn't look comfortable. I tired to duplicate the position at home with my legs forward and splayed out (!!) and me leaning forward, I suspect that I'd be needing a chiropractor after 20 minutes of riding in that position.

https://rideapart.com/articles/2018-...14-first-rides

I remember speaking to a guy last year who had just bought a Victory after his Bonneville had been written off. He said it was comfortable but went onto say he was on his third aftermarket seat, hmm.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-18, 11:00 AM   #2
Talking Heads

Default Re: Cruisers

How comfortable does it have to be to ride to and from the nearest layby/beachfront/greasy spoon on a few sunny Sunday afternoons?
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-18, 12:23 PM   #3
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I sat on the new Triumph Speedmaster at the Bike Show in November and did not like the feet-forward position. Guess I'm just used to having my feet under me and not out front as some of the others on the Trumpet forum I also post drivel to say it is great to ride. I'd probably need to get out on one to know but as I have no intention of changing my bike just yet I'll do so in a few years time.
Old 30-04-18, 12:50 PM   #4
Craig380
Mega Poster

Not a dig at anyone who owns or has owned one, but I'm not interested in the 'lazy' style of riding which cruisers seem to encourage, of getting into top gear as early as possible and just rolling on/off the throttle.

I agree, the riding positions always look really uncomfortable to me.

Although I remember the biking journo Neil Murray reporting on a Kawasaki launch at Spain's Jarama circuit. The main launch was the Kawa GPZ600, but they also launched the EN450 LTD 'custom.' Kawasaki had ex-World Champion Kork Ballington showing the journos (who were all on GPZs) around the circuit on an EN450, and no-one could keep up with him

Although I have sometimes fancied an original full power V-Max, just for fun
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-18, 01:12 PM   #5
Talking Heads

For me, the further forward the feet the less comfortable the ride.
Seat, handlebars and footpegs have to be placed carefully to allow optimum riding position and weight distribution.
The only bikes I can think of that might be an exception are the Quasar and Phasar with their huge supportive seats.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 08:50 AM   #6
ophic
Mega Poster

I commute on one daily. In London. Not by choice. It's kinda like karma cos I crashed my SV.

It's a reasonably "small" cruiser, being only a 750cc Honda, but the bars are too wide, it's too heavy, the steering is too slow, it's too long, and the foot pegs are too far from where you put your feet on the ground. And lets not mention the brakes.

The overall riding position is ok for medium distances but I preferred my "cramped" SV. It was a bit much on a 250 mile motorway trip when we moved down south.

I've looked into trading it in for a Grom but believe it or not, the insurance goes way up.
Old 01-05-18, 08:57 AM   #7
ophic
Mega Poster

If you're really curious, HDs are easy to get test rides on.

And the gentleman with the many aftermarket seats doesn't surprise me. There's no easy way to take the weight off your bum cos your feet are forward, so the seat really has to do its job.
Old 01-05-18, 09:36 AM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

The serious cruiser style is more about posing than riding but the same can be said for serious sports bikes too. Neither are really suitable for the road and neither are comfortable for any length of time.Tourers or sports tourers are the practical choice but each to their own-----
Old 01-05-18, 12:04 PM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

They're rubbish, they don't go, they don't stop, they don't handle.

The riding position is designed to a) send every road lump transmitted from the appalling suspension directly up your spine and b) make it so if you could actually achieve any reasonable speed that the force of the wind was directed to cause maximum discomfort.
Old 01-05-18, 01:05 PM   #10
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
They're rubbish, they don't go, they don't stop, they don't handle.

The riding position is designed to a) send every road lump transmitted from the appalling suspension directly up your spine and b) make it so if you could actually achieve any reasonable speed that the force of the wind was directed to cause maximum discomfort.
Basically true. Mine has a touring screen that improves things.
Hey I get to commute and have a workout at the same time. It saves me a gym membership