SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-04-08, 08:40 PM   #1
ocr_sv

Default New purchase.

First of all, Hello

Bought myself a 2000 sv650s as my first big bike, after lots of research, was looking at a naked bandit, but after 3 different people suggested the sv and stumbling across this site, i'm made my decision. i had every intention of getting a naked bike, but having stumbled across this 's' - seemed like a good deal to pass on,

anyway enough rambling, just wanted to ask, what servicing would you recommend i give the bike, considering i dont know whats been done to it at all, its got 20k on the clock.

and also, i use the bike daily to get to work as its my main form of transport, other than my legs, and the gf's mx5, how often would you change things like oil, brake fluid, grease chain, and any other maintainence that should be carried out on a regular basis, any help would be greatly appreciated,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sv1.jpg (116.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 30-04-08, 09:19 PM   #2
shifter

Default Re: New purchase..

I would start with an oil change. Then plugs, air filter and change the coolant. I'd probably change the brake fluid and check the pads etc as well.
I find it best to do everything in one go. By the time you take one bit off to get to another, you may as well do it all.
Valve clearances should have been check at 15000 miles. If all seems well they probably have.
Also when doing a service I like to clean everything and lube cables etc as I go.
Hope that helps!
When you've done all that you should be up to scratch. As far as intervals go, I tend to do bits as and when I feel they are needed. Keep the chain well lubed though.

Last edited by shifter; 30-04-08 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-05-08, 07:12 AM   #3
petevtwin650

Proper underseat exhaust. You'll have to put more pics of the bike.

Oil and filter change most definately unless it was recently done. And watch the oil level like a hawk until you get used to the oil consumption.
Old 01-05-08, 09:12 AM   #4
sv_rider1990

saw that on ebay i think its a CBR600RR underseat if im correct or it might be a totally other bike lol! Nice!
Old 01-05-08, 10:58 AM   #5
flymo
Mega Poster

Hi there
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 11:09 AM   #6
Dangerous Dave

Yeap thats a CBR600RR tailpipe fitted, the routing/breathing isn't very good from what I have seen!

Welcome to the site 'ocr sv'.
Old 01-05-08, 10:59 PM   #7
ocr_sv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Yeap thats a CBR600RR tailpipe fitted, the routing/breathing isn't very good from what I have seen!
It is, i was a bit unsure about the exhaust, but do tell me...... what have you seen?

not somthing thats gonna cause a problem i hope

Last edited by ocr_sv; 01-05-08 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-05-08, 02:55 PM   #8
Dangerous Dave

No won't cause a problem, no need to worry! Its just the routing for the pipes isn't great for breathing, would only be a problem if you start to do serious tuning on the engine in which case you would need a full system anyway.

Looks good!
Old 02-05-08, 03:09 PM   #9
simonthepost

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifter View Post
I would start with an oil change. Then plugs, air filter and change the coolant. I'd probably change the brake fluid and check the pads etc as well.
I find it best to do everything in one go. By the time you take one bit off to get to another, you may as well do it all.
Valve clearances should have been check at 15000 miles. If all seems well they probably have.
Also when doing a service I like to clean everything and lube cables etc as I go.
Hope that helps!
When you've done all that you should be up to scratch. As far as intervals go, I tend to do bits as and when I feel they are needed. Keep the chain well lubed though.
+1 and buy a manual
Old 02-05-08, 04:06 PM   #10
ocr_sv

yeah, not plannin on doing anything on the tuning side of things, fast enough for me...for now.

Picked up a haynes manual yesterday, looks pretty useful.

Somthing i have noticed with the exhaust, is that when i've got a pillion, the tyre might be scuffing on it when going over dips in the road etc, and thats with the pre load on the highest but one setting, any ideas? i was thinking a jack up kit might be in need, dont wanna wear out the tyre anymore than needed.

Are the effects a jack up kit has on handling a bit of an on going debate, as in some like/some dont??