SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-03-08, 10:48 PM   #1
monkey

Default Odd question maybe but can Muc-off be used to clean tyre walls and how long can it stay on?

Can it be used ok to clean chain fling off tyres side walls? Once used a de-greaser to do the wheel and the run off turned the tyre brown.

Also what sort of amount of time can it be left on? It says 1 or 2 minutes but If I'm cleaning my bike I don't want to do it in sections. I want to spray it, rub it in a bit and scrub some bits and rinse it.

Finally what a stupid bottle to sell it in. I've put mine in an old flash bottle so it sprays as opposed to shoots out. Can see why though.
Old 04-03-08, 07:34 AM   #2
RingDing

Default Re: Odd question maybe but can Muc-off be used to clean tyre walls and how long can it stay on?

It gets on my tyre walls when I'm cleaning my wheels. Hasn't caused any problems as far as I can see. I go round the whole bike with the Muc-off and then return to where I started to wash it off. Only a problem in summer as by the time I get back to the start it has dried.
No problems with the dispenser on my bottle. Has it got the little black nozzle? If so then try rotating it in half turn steps and see what effect it has on the spray. The closer you get to turned off the more of a mist you should get, the closer to completely undone the more of a jet.
HTH

3x Honda C110 - phut-phut-phut
KTM Duke 690 - brum-braaaaaaa!!!!!
BSA C25 - brum-braa-braa
RD350LC Ring-ding-phut-clatter-££££££

Last edited by RingDing; 04-03-08 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Shocking spelling, too early for brain to be working...
RingDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-08, 02:46 PM   #3
high_tower

Default Re: Odd question maybe but can Muc-off be used to clean tyre walls and how long can it stay on?

I know I'll be condemned for saying it but WD40!

I use it to get chain fling off wheels, tyres, number plates and hands. It works a treat to get it off then I just use some hot water and fairy liquid to get the wd40 off.

As for Muc-Off the only problems I've had were that it was very harsh to paintwork and anodised parts, left on to long or not removed properly damaged the finish slightly. However, according to the website its changed and I've used it since on absolutely everything on my bike. work well at getting acf50 out of the nooks and crannies.
Old 04-03-08, 10:46 PM   #4
monkey

Harsh? Suppose it's not that hard to do it in sections then. I'd be more worried about it freexing on the bike than drying at the moment.

Thanks.
Old 04-03-08, 10:50 PM   #5
metalmonkey

I just use paffin to to get any muck of my bike, it seems to work and removes most things.
Old 04-03-08, 10:51 PM   #6
monkey

Me too thunder but on tyres?
Old 04-03-08, 11:26 PM   #7
metalmonkey

Yup on tyres, as the chain wax I use goes everywhere we spraying it on...I'm getting a scott oiler so hopefully that one problem I won't have
Old 05-03-08, 12:06 AM   #8
ASM-Forever

I use Muc Off all over the bike with no issues. Did the tyres today as i spilt redex all over them/the ground.

Muc Off is decent, but i think the Castrol equivalent is better, seems to clean better. I have to get the sponge out with Muc Off, if the bike is really dirty, but the Castrol equivalent just needed to be hosed off.
Old 05-03-08, 12:09 AM   #9
ASM-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluethunder View Post
Yup on tyres, as the chain wax I use goes everywhere we spraying it on...I'm getting a scott oiler so hopefully that one problem I won't have
I like to tend the chain myself, hence no scott-oiler and highly recommend the castrol chain wax/lube that comes with the extended nozzle. Pin point accuracy and no mess at all.

No i don't work for Castrol, i just think they make high quality stuff.