SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-04-15, 05:20 PM   #11
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: O ring vs. X ring drive chains Explained - yet again.

holy thread resurrection.

it dont. the grease is supposed to be sealed for life. in reality though its not as it gets squashed/washed out.

just buy any chain of good quality and dont worry about the technology. keep it clean and well lubed (scottoilers are fantastic at this) is the secret to long chain life. also too tight a chain will wear quicker and will also wear your output shaft seal/bearing at an alarming rate.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-15, 06:40 AM   #12
Longway

are the JT X ring chain & sprocket set OK for summer use? thought about a scottoiler but you could get a new chain & sprocket set for same price up to now I've used a good quality dry non flick type lube

Last edited by Longway; 26-04-15 at 06:41 AM.
Old 29-04-15, 11:36 AM   #13
Longway

Received new chain and as I've been riding shaftys for a while, the chain is taking longer to change than expected. But I'm nearly there an just have to rivet new link and adjust.
My version is the naked Sv650 but the chain set ordered is the sport version with fairing and I now realise had a 44t rear sprocket as opposed to 45t on my naked, I can't imagine 1 tooth will make much differenc, but open to comments if it will. Also the special white grease they supply for chain link is very sticky stuff stuff and I assume is made to stay in place a long timetime, any ideas where I can buy some. Cheers
Old 29-04-15, 12:09 PM   #14
nutzboutbikes

I have tried adding a tooth on the back of my s, it does make the bike pick up a little better but lowers the top speed slightly.

For chain lube you could try using wax, Putoline Tech is good and would be Ideal if the bike is for summer use, its what I use as I don't like having sticky black lube all over the back of the bike and im not a fan of scottoilers.
Old 30-04-15, 06:57 AM   #15
Longway

Cheers, will have to try some of that Putoline, sounds good stuff. I'm not keen on a scottoiler either, as apart from from costing as much a new chain & sprocket set they make a mess over back wheel from flick off

Last edited by Longway; 30-04-15 at 06:42 PM.
Old 30-04-15, 07:05 PM   #16
nutzboutbikes

If you give the wax a go let us know what think.

I don't go over board with it I just wipe the old wax off with a clean cloth and then re wax which I do about every 1000 miles.
Old 30-04-15, 07:20 PM   #17
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longway View Post
they make a mess over back wheel from flick off
thats a myth. chain wax/grease does this as well, not to mention creating a big gungy mess in your sprocket housing that acts like grinding paste, chain wax/grease also attracts dirt and makes it stick to your chain making the cleaning more of a necessity. the only thing that does not make a mess are dry lube type sprays. scottoil oil only takes a wipe to get it off the wheel where wax/grease sprays stick like fek.

of course you could also believe the other myth that modern chains dont need lubed as they are sealed for life.

the cost thing is relative, fitting a scotty will make a chain last 30+k with the only maintenance is a chain clean once maybe twice a year and filling the rez with oil. chain lubes on the other hand require you to spray them on before or after each ride. personally i prefer to just jump on the bike and go, this is why i have also fitted a high capacity rez so i only need to fill it once a year as i only do around 6-7k a year.

its bad fitting and lack of understanding about scottoilers that gives them a bad name.

its a bike its going to get dirty
Old 30-04-15, 07:50 PM   #18
nutzboutbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
thats a myth. chain wax/grease does this as well, not to mention creating a big gungy mess in your sprocket housing that acts like grinding paste, chain wax/grease also attracts dirt and makes it stick to your chain making the cleaning more of a necessity. the only thing that does not make a mess are dry lube type sprays. scottoil oil only takes a wipe to get it off the wheel where wax/grease sprays stick like fek.

of course you could also believe the other myth that modern chains dont need lubed as they are sealed for life.

the cost thing is relative, fitting a scotty will make a chain last 30+k with the only maintenance is a chain clean once maybe twice a year and filling the rez with oil. chain lubes on the other hand require you to spray them on before or after each ride. personally i prefer to just jump on the bike and go, this is why i have also fitted a high capacity rez so i only need to fill it once a year as i only do around 6-7k a year.

its bad fitting and lack of understanding about scottoilers that gives them a bad name.

its a bike its going to get dirty

Yes I agree wax does fling off but it is no where near as bad to clean off the bike as the sticky lubes, also I find it attracts dirt far less than the sticky lubes.

The gung under the front sprocket cover is not that bad to clean out and depends on the amount you apply, if you put loads on then loads comes off!, just don't go mental with it. The oil from scottoilers seems to just run off, Iv seen it dripping off chains on to rear tyres before but as you say it could be its badly adjusted/setup.

Lubing the chain after or before each ride seems a bit over the top!, like I say I lube mine every 1000ish miles so twice a year its not a big issue.
Old 30-04-15, 07:59 PM   #19
Bibio
Mega Poster

one more thing i will say in favour of scottoilers. in the 26+k i have on the bike (original chain with new front sprocket to 16t) i have adjusted the chain 2 marks on the swingarm. the only time i adjust my chain is when i get a new rear tyre.
Old 30-04-15, 08:15 PM   #20
nutzboutbikes

Could go old school an use engine oil!