SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-09-06, 11:24 AM   #1
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Been invited to a wedding reception...

All a bit complicated this My ex, who if I'm honest I'd prefer wasn't my ex, but that's a logn story is getting married in a fortnight, and I've been invited to the reception. For various reasons, I've accepted the invite... But what to wear?

I've been to a few before, but not for friends my own age, and usually I've been at the wedding too so I've been kilted up. But I hate the bonnie prince charlie getup, it's so cheesy- don't mind the kilt in general but the whole shortbread tin nonsense annoys me, and I can't be bothered with it for the evening do- especially since we're going out after. But, I kind of want to cut a dash

I don't know the rules though. She wants things pretty formal... I could just wear a suit. Need to get a new one, my old one's rotten. But I was wondering... Think I can get away with the kilt (a dark tartan, mind) and sporran, smart boots, heavy white or black shirt? I think it's pretty sharp, and I can carry it off pretty well (I have good physio'd knees ), but I'm not sure it'd be considered formal enough and I don't want to **** anyone off

No good at this sort of thing... Give me jeans and a t-shirt. Or leathers
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 11:29 AM   #2
anna
Mega Poster

where did that "this thread is useless without pics" sign go?????????

I should imagine suit would be fine but you may be a bit out of place if everyone else is going to be kilted up!
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 11:30 AM   #3
chazzyb

Default Re: Been invited to a wedding reception...

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
smart boots
All sounds fine to me, an asset at any wedding. But get a high polish on your DM's. And new laces. If you get a mirror finish on your boots, people will be able to see up your kilt :P . Mind you, I suppose it works both ways...
Old 05-09-06, 11:32 AM   #4
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Go on you bike,then you have the perfect excuse to wear leathers.Anything to save having to buy a new suit and spend hard earned dosh on something you don't want.
For the same reason,if that is just not on,wear the kilt which is already in your wardrobe.Who could possibly object to a kilt in Scotland?
Old 05-09-06, 11:39 AM   #5
Kinvig

Quote:
All a bit complicated this My ex, who if I'm honest I'd prefer wasn't my ex, but that's a logn story
Don't go!!!!

If you wish she wan't your ex. i.e. still your ball n'chain, then seeing her get married is not going to be the best thing to do. You'll just end up getting drunk, making an ar&e of yourself, then you'll find yourself walknig round hte hotel at 3am with just your pants on because you've slept walked. You may then spend time in a cupboard or next to a hand dryer for warmth until a) You remember your room number & b) the concierge gets back from his extemded cigarette break.

Trust me on this
Old 05-09-06, 11:40 AM   #6
wyrdness

I usually wear a black kilt for this kind of thing. It looks smart and has a devastating effect on the ladies. Depending on the formality of the function I'll wear a fairly formal shirt (purple or black) or a more relaxed goth shirt, with shoes or boots as appropriate.

My kilt was made to measure by a kiltmaker on the Royal Mile, but you can get cheap ones off ebay that look almost as good.
Old 05-09-06, 11:41 AM   #7
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna
Here it is

Old 05-09-06, 11:42 AM   #8
anna
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna
Here it is

Thanks Jabba...

so come on all this talk of kilts...... we want to see pics of them
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 12:05 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinvig
Quote:
All a bit complicated this My ex, who if I'm honest I'd prefer wasn't my ex, but that's a logn story
Don't go!!!!
Nah, it'll be alright. Ancient history... For one thing, I'm mainly going so I can hit on one of the bridesmaids It'll be entirely a happy coincidence if her mum and dad think "That Andrew's looking fine, nice lad, wish she was marrying him not that half man/half pig..."

Thought about a black kilt, I was more or less settled on a really, really dark one but it's still in the running... We're all off to a metal club after, I can rock the Jonathon Davis look
Old 05-09-06, 12:05 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

Pics? There will be no pics.