SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 22-05-13, 10:22 AM   #1
mase_tw

Default Where to do first trackday?

Hi,

Recently bought a SV650S K4 after having a year off from bikes and doing my full bike licence.

Was wondering where would anyone suggest i do my first track day?

Used to race mini bikes and that when i was younger so always loved speed, used to practice with Scott Redding & Martin Glossop when i was 12/13 (thats my claim to fame) lol

I live in east london area so obviously no tracks are local nearest one would be brands but what is that like on a SV?

Also have a R6 trackbike waiting to be prepped for the track E.G remove lights, mirrors etc etc.

Mason
Old 22-05-13, 10:44 AM   #2
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Where to do first trackday?

Brands Indy circuit is good for an SV, as is Lydden Hill down near Dover. Snetterton with it's 300 layout would be an option now as well, as is Mallory Park which isn't exactly that far away either. Probably the only one I would avoid with an SV is Silverstone GP, but an SV isn't exactly slow you know.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-13, 09:35 PM   #3
ogden
Mega Poster

Brands Indy is your closest, so on that basis alone it's probably your best bet. There are no real straights so you won't get destroyed on a small bike either. Well, not much.

Other than that, Cadwell is worth a visit, and an SV will go perfectly well at Silverstone - you'll be passed on both sides but it's a massively wide circuit so there's plenty of room.

Just have a browse, pick a circuit you can get to on a date you can do and take it from there.
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-13, 10:47 PM   #4
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Go to Anglesey for a weekend of camping and do Trac Mon.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-13, 07:16 AM   #5
Popy Fresco

I'm going to Lydden Hill on sat for my first track day ever
Popy Fresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-13, 09:44 AM   #6
mase_tw

Yes brands indy was going to be my first option. But think im going to do Brands Hatch GP with my old man on the 24th of june but dont know weather im going to try get the R6 up and running before that only needs putting back together now and replacing fuel cap.
Old 23-05-13, 10:42 AM   #7
jambo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mase_tw View Post
Yes brands indy was going to be my first option. But think im going to do Brands Hatch GP with my old man on the 24th of june but dont know weather im going to try get the R6 up and running before that only needs putting back together now and replacing fuel cap.
Brands GP will be fine on an SV, at least, it was great fun last year when I did it. But so was Silverstone GP.

Do the track you want to do with the people you want to be with. Don't worry about being passed, enjoy the day.

Jambo
Old 23-05-13, 10:49 AM   #8
mase_tw

I thought the GP track might be a bit long for first trackday but obvi im not a complete amateur so should be fine... anyone fancy joining so i got someone to try to keep with? haha
Old 23-05-13, 11:25 AM   #9
Red Herring
Mega Poster

The reason I suggested Silverstone GP isn't a particularly good place to do your first trackday isn't just because you might not appreciate being passed down the straight by bikes doing 50mph+ more than you (slightly un-nerving, especially when they **** it up in the braking area as novice groups tend to), but because large relatively featureless circuits are harder to learn and you will find yourself getting "lost" fairly easily. You will become confident much more rapidly on a shorter lap, Mallory, Brands Indy and Lydden are ideal in that respect.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-13, 01:51 PM   #10
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I'd vote for Rockingham National circuit. It's fairly twisty and you'll most likely not go over 100 all day, but it's grippy and wide so plenty of opportunity for getting your hand in. I don't like the International configuration, you get to go fast on part of the oval, but that's about all you can say for it, the transitions on and off the infield are horrible.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote