SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-09-07, 06:51 PM   #1
blankslate

Default SV650s good starter bike?

Hey guys, i know this is probably something you've heard more times then you want to hear but.. Is the sv650s a good starter bike?
I was orginally looking at the ninja 500r and the gs500f, but this bike caught my eye and has a good chance of lasting me more then one season.
I'm 6'0 185 lbs, NEVER rode a bike in my life. I will be done with my MSF classes at the end of october and will hopfully buy a bike the week after. I just wanted to see if i am getting in over my head, or if i'm right where i should be.
In the end no one can make this descion for me except for myself, but it's never a bad idea to get some advice from people who've been in a similar situation.
Thanks for your time.
Old 30-09-07, 06:56 PM   #2
davepugh1981

Default Re: SV650s good starter bike?

An sv was my first bike after learning on a 500cc.

Everyone has a different idea on this, an sv is a powerful bike compared to bikes from 20 years ago, so having one straight away could be dangerous.

For me I treated it with respect for a good 6 months, and even know I know I am still learning. I think I'm the type of person that could rise an R1 sensibly as I dont have the type of personality that would trash it from day 1.

Only you know what you are like, a 125 ridden like a **** is arguably more dangerous than a sv with a newbie on.

Good luck with your decision
Dave
Old 30-09-07, 07:06 PM   #3
Keith1983

YES, YES, YES. I am now on my second sv after having a Honda xr125 and a yellow curvy sv. If you ride sensibly and take your time getting to know the bike I owuld consider it an excellent first "big" bike. It is gentle enough when ridden sensibly and it will have enough ability to keep you learning for a coupl eof years at least. I would be the first to admit that my sv has currently more ability than I do! All I would say is that the blue pointy ones are fastest though!
Old 30-09-07, 07:09 PM   #4
sinbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepugh1981 View Post
An sv was my first bike after learning on a 500cc.

Everyone has a different idea on this, an sv is a powerful bike compared to bikes from 20 years ago, so having one straight away could be dangerous.

For me I treated it with respect for a good 6 months, and even know I know I am still learning. I think I'm the type of person that could rise an R1 sensibly as I dont have the type of personality that would trash it from day 1.

Only you know what you are like, a 125 ridden like a **** is arguably more dangerous than a sv with a newbie on.

Good luck with your decision
Dave
Good post, I'm much the same as you. Been riding my 650s since November, and I knew that despite being labelled a "girl's bike" it is still more than enough to get you into big trouble in no time so I respected its potential and my limitations. I'm now glad I went for something "more" than the obvious safe choices of ER500, GS500, CB500 etc, but the good point you make is that cc's and bhp aren't all that relevant if your attitude is appropriate.

@ the op:
The SV is a fine starter bike, you'll fit it well and unless you're a Hopkins or Hayden future rival (assuming that you're American) it will keep you entertained for a long time and be much more capable at most things than you are as a rider.
Old 30-09-07, 07:10 PM   #5
Blue_SV650S

Personally I think the power traits of the SV (V-Twin) make it harder to ride than an GPz (ninja?) Or GS500 (Parallel Twins). I don't think the SV 650 is the easiest to pull away on for instance. I also think that with the greater engine breaking, a wrong gear change has potential to be more dramatic.

Although I obviously love the SV, I wouldn't personally recommend one for a first bike over a GPZ or a GS as I think it is harder for a noob to ride!!

Sure there are tons of people that have had one as a first bike and got on OK, but the fact remains the parallel twins ARE easier to ride

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 30-09-07 at 07:32 PM.
Old 30-09-07, 07:10 PM   #6
thefallenangel

i've bought an SV after a CG and KR1s.

The CG really gives you an idea on how powerful a bike can be compared to a car

The KR was an experience. I'm not saying any more nut riding experience wise it taught me something different.

My SV is teaching me lots. If your big and can handle the weight then it's be kind but make sure you buy R+Gs. They save when silly mistakes happen otherwise go for it.

and i'm 6"3 and 210lbs (fat git i know) but the sv is great for me.
Old 30-09-07, 07:19 PM   #7
Brian

Yes a very good starter bike!!!

I jumped on the SV right after passing my test.
It's a very forgiving bike, I mean, it will forgive many minor riding mistakes you may make.

Also it's not so powerful that you'll hurt yourself unlike some of the faster 600cc sports bikes, you'd have to be trying pretty hard to cause yourself grief on one.

Like has been said, it is still a big bike, just take your time with it, you won't regret buying an SV!!!

I could go on really, there's so many good things to mention about the SV...
Old 30-09-07, 07:29 PM   #8
SV Muppet

Thumbs up Re: SV650s good starter bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Personally I think the power traits of the SV (V-Twin) make it harder to ride than an GPz (ninja?) Or GS500 (Parallel Twins). I don't think the SV 650 is the easiest to pull away on for instance. I also think that with the greater engine breaking, a wrong gear change has potential to be more dramatic.
I agree with the above. I used to ride a 350 YPVS and with almost no engine braking it was incredibly easy to ride smoothly. The SV, on the other hand, is the total opposite with it's significant engine braking which does demand that you are smooth with your right wrist, if you'll excuse the expression.
I still think it's a good bike for beginners but I'd suggest the naked version so you don't have so much weight forward and will find the throttle easier to operate.
Old 30-09-07, 07:37 PM   #9
sinbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Also it's not so powerful that you'll hurt yourself unlike some of the faster 600cc sports bikes, you'd have to be trying pretty hard to cause yourself grief on one.

Like has been said, it is still a big bike, just take your time with it, you won't regret buying an SV!!!
I disagree on the first point, but totally agree with the second of course . Supersport 600s are of course faster, but arguably only significantly so (particularly to a newbie) if you work them hard and rev them high. What counts is how fast the next corner can creep up on you, and the SV is more than capable enough of charging down a short straight in any gear, as long as there's a few revs on the counter, and arriving at the next one very soon and very quickly, it does the quarter mile in 12-13 seconds remember. That's how (I believe) a fast bike can get you into trouble, and it was something I became immediately very aware of.

Blue's spot on about the engine character too, it's a bike that demands real concentration and respect, despite its relatively low power output.
Old 30-09-07, 10:13 PM   #10
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
I disagree on the first point, but totally agree with the second of course .
True, true.....
Even a 50cc bike can get you into trouble if you're a novice etc.
I guess I was taking my own riding style/experience too much into account in the first statement, slightly thoughtless of me.

Blue does make some very points about the SV/v-twin engine character which I overlooked, having forgotten about them due to experience etc..

Looking back to when I first rode the SV, I did find the engine very snatchy, engine-braking did catch me out a few times.

But, having myself made the obvious rider errors mentioned above such as engine braking etc, I did find the SV to be very forgiving.
But again, that may of just been down to experience/luck, knowing not to change gear mid-bend or just before entry etc etc...
And yes you do have to think alot more when riding a v-twin than a parallel-twin or inline 4 etc.

I still think it's a great first big bike though!

Can I go now?