SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-06-06, 10:54 PM   #1
Diveboy

Default Numb wrists?

Recently I have been getting numb hands/wrists from long journeys on the SV. I was wondering if progressive springs might help solve the problem. On the standard springs i have them set quite hard for cornering.
Old 12-06-06, 08:45 AM   #2
SVeeedy Gonzales

Try rotating the clutch and front brake controls round (down) by 10-20 degrees first? In their normal position they're a bit high and aren't as easy on the wrists. Only takes and 8 and 10mm spanner and 5 mins to change them.
Old 12-06-06, 08:56 AM   #3
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVeeedy Gonzales
Try rotating the clutch and front brake controls round (down) by 10-20 degrees first? In their normal position they're a bit high and aren't as easy on the wrists. Only takes and 8 and 10mm spanner and 5 mins to change them.
Agreed. I used my girfriends SV last week and through traffic my wrists started aching. My SV has the lever rotated, as suggested, and all is cool again

Oh and be careful doing up the bolts, they strip rrrrrreallllly easy.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-06, 09:06 AM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Agreed, rotate your levers round that makes it alot more comfortable.

The other thing that I found helps on along trip was to relax and not grip the bars to tightly.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-06, 09:56 AM   #5
kciN

Hmmmm Rotate levers, why didn't I think of that!

My right wrist aches as I tend to ride with index finger on front brake and put's undue strain and hurts after quite a short period!
Left hand is fine!

I think I'll 'rotate' later!
Old 12-06-06, 10:07 AM   #6
K

Ooooh, now that sounds like something easy and simple enough I could try it and be successful!

I get a problem with a numb spot on my right hand, basically all of my little finger, down the edge of my hand and that side of my wrist. I get it even on short trips of about 70 miles or so - though part of the reason is a couple of badly healed broken bones to that area.
Old 12-06-06, 10:17 AM   #7
Marshall

why have i never thought of this, my right hand goes to sleep all the time, i hope this helps

Cheers
Marshall
Old 12-06-06, 02:12 PM   #8
ujoni08

Default wrists

On the subject, has anyone rotated the bars on the forks? I've moved the levers down, but want to rotate the bars forwards a bit, to relieve pressure on the ulnar nerve (outer part of the palm). If I put a T-square on each of the the grips, they meet at a point in the middle of my chest, which not where my arms attach to my body. I don't know why Suzuki fits the bars at such an angle. This means all my weight is on the outer part of my palms. Problem is, there's a small casting under the top yoke to prevent accidental rotation. I'd have to cut off the casting (a small blob of alloy) to do this. I think this would relieve a lot of the wrist ache. Anyone done this, or have any thoughts?
Jon.
Old 12-06-06, 03:56 PM   #9
fubber

I fitted gel padding into my gloves to alleviate pressure on the ulnar nerve - took the padding out of an old pair of cycling gloves I had lying around, small change, big difference...
Old 12-06-06, 04:56 PM   #10
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

Default Re: wrists

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujoni08
On the subject, has anyone rotated the bars on the forks? I've moved the levers down, but want to rotate the bars forwards a bit, to relieve pressure on the ulnar nerve (outer part of the palm). If I put a T-square on each of the the grips, they meet at a point in the middle of my chest, which not where my arms attach to my body. I don't know why Suzuki fits the bars at such an angle. This means all my weight is on the outer part of my palms. Problem is, there's a small casting under the top yoke to prevent accidental rotation. I'd have to cut off the casting (a small blob of alloy) to do this. I think this would relieve a lot of the wrist ache. Anyone done this, or have any thoughts?
Jon.
isnt hter a screw undernesth each clip on that means you haveto have them at that angle.?... I mean near the tank side.. not hte main bolt that tightens it up-

if you change the angle etc.. will it not affect your turning and possible snag on the tank?