SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-01-05, 02:55 PM   #1
BaggaZee

Default Chain & Sprockets

I've seen an OE chain & sprocket kit available for an SV650-K2 but what will this do to my gearing on the SVS-K2?

Am I right in thinking that it's just one less tooth on the rear so better acceleration but lower top speed?

Anything else I should worry about, like insurance?!

Cheers all.
Old 10-01-05, 03:10 PM   #2
BURNER

One tooth MORE on the rear for nekkid model. Means you won't be topping out at 130mph anymore.
I can't see insurance being an issue, surely?
Old 10-01-05, 03:13 PM   #3
BaggaZee

Ahem,

More, yes.
Old 10-01-05, 04:44 PM   #4
Anton

I fitted the chain kit from a sv on my svs. it actually raised the top speed, since now it can pull all the way to the rew. limit in top gear!!
Old 10-01-05, 04:54 PM   #5
BaggaZee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
I fitted the chain kit from a sv on my svs. it actually raised the top speed, since now it can pull all the way to the rew. limit in top gear!!
You couldn't before?! I've topped mine out (on an airfield, obviously).
Old 10-01-05, 05:02 PM   #6
Grinch

I got up to 140... and ran out of tarmac, just off the limiter.
Old 10-01-05, 05:08 PM   #7
BURNER

My sprockets and chain are still OK, but soon as they need done I'll be doing the nekkid spec chain & sprocket kit. Might convert to 520 pitch also, heard it frees up another pony or 2
Old 10-01-05, 05:10 PM   #8
BaggaZee

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner
My sprockets and chain are still OK, but soon as they need done I'll be doing the nekkid spec chain & sprocket kit. Might convert to 520 pitch also, heard it frees up another pony or 2
Really?! How does the pitch make a difference?
Old 10-01-05, 05:23 PM   #9
BURNER

You lose power due to your drive chain, so a lighter chain will will negate those losses, or so I've been told by one of 'em minitwins bods.
Old 10-01-05, 05:32 PM   #10
jonboy

It's not as strong though and will wear faster - and if you can tell the difference in power then I'll eat my lid.

Anton makes a very good point: if you want the best acceleration then go for a 46 tooth rear sprocket, which will not make any difference to the top end and might possibly see you on the rev limiter in top which you won't do with the standard S gearing. The insurance won't be affected as it's not increasing the power in any way.

The downside is that your fuel consumption will increase slightly and possibly a little more engine wear (always running at slightly higher revs).