SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Rideouts & Meetings Arrange get togethers and rideouts

Old 19-06-08, 09:18 PM   #1
TheStudent

Default The Stormy Petrel - 19th June 2008. Very sad day.

The Stormy Petrel (Pub in the North West)

This is one of the highlights of my week, hundreds of bikes gathered together, exhaust noises all evening, burger and a bru, chat and a giggle, good ride there and back, see the occasional stunt riders.

Was there less than five minutes tonight when I heard a smash from a distance, and looking round above the crowds saw only pieces of a GSXR flying through the air, parts of a bike left 20m from its rider, upside down at the side of the road leaning on a fence.

There was a rumour the rider had mis-landed a wheelie for whatever reason, and collided with an oncoming car. I saw the rider afterwards lying very still on the floor receiving CPR from EMS, and was shortly after pronounced dead.

The gentlemen in the car looked very shaken but was ok, poor bloke. I have the upmost respect for the skill and courage of stunt riders, but for those that do it on public roads, right now, they needed to see what I saw tonight. This is the most horrible thing I have ever seen, a very cold, un-nerving, and upsetting sight.

Just thought i would share it with the 'org, maybe someone will learn from the story.

RIP fella....
Old 19-06-08, 09:22 PM   #2
plowsie

Default Re: The Stormy Petrel - 19th June 2008. Very sad day.

Not nice to see an accident mate, let alone the guy dying.

RIP dude.
Old 19-06-08, 09:29 PM   #3
kwak zzr

OMG is this the end of the stormy petel meet? RIP buddy.

Last edited by kwak zzr; 19-06-08 at 09:36 PM.
Old 19-06-08, 09:30 PM   #4
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

OMG RIP that man !

TheStudent - you OK mate, I would not have liked to have been there tonight, bad day
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

RIP PC David Rathband sad day 29/2/2012
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-08, 09:47 PM   #5
TheStudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
OMG is this the end of the stormy petel meet? RIP buddy.

I doubt it very much, unfortunately I imagine things will go on as normal. I used to love watching the wheelies, endo's, burnouts etc up there but after tonight, I'm glad to say there will probably be an increased police presence to put an end to it, not forever, but at least for now I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellywoozle View Post
OMG RIP that man !

TheStudent - you OK mate, I would not have liked to have been there tonight, bad day

I'm fine thanks. It's that thought that lurks at the back of every bikers head, we know how vulnerable we are but just hope it doesn't happen to us. After seeing it happen to someone else tonight, and with that ending, somewhat upset earlier during the ride home, now just very sad. He looked of similar age to my Dad, strong possibilty he has a family, full time job etc. My heart goes out to all that knew him.

Such a shame, and without loss or respect for the poor bloke, atleast he was enjoying himself tonight, and it was fairly sudden.
Old 19-06-08, 09:50 PM   #6
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStudent View Post
I doubt it very much, unfortunately I imagine things will go on as normal. I used to love watching the wheelies, endo's, burnouts etc up there but after tonight, I'm glad to say there will probably be an increased police presence to put an end to it, not forever, but at least for now I'm sure.
Sorry to hear you've witnessed this. Not nice for anyone to see.

I think you're right about the meet continuing though. When a woman spectator was killed at Bassets Pole a few years back when a guy lost it doing a wheelie, everyone thought that would end. It hasn't.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-08, 09:57 PM   #7
kwak zzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
Sorry to hear you've witnessed this. Not nice for anyone to see.

I think you're right about the meet continuing though. When a woman spectator was killed at Bassets Pole a few years back when a guy lost it doing a wheelie, everyone thought that would end. It hasn't.
no but police presence increased alot.
Old 19-06-08, 10:00 PM   #8
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
no but police presence increased alot.
Yes, it did.

I like seeing stunts as much as anyone, but I really don't think the public roads are the place for them.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-08, 10:02 PM   #9
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

I think you're right Lissa. The Police wouldn't have the power to stop such an event and I don't think bikers would stop going, whether it be in honour of the unfortunate one that has passed away.

I think things would simply be toned down for a while, maybe as a mark of respect and also cause people are shook up and because the Police would obvioulsy will be looming.

But in repsect to my fellow Coppers, we don't loom to spoil the fun. No copper likes seeing stuff like this in the job and we have to tell the families and investigate and that side of it is horrid, the force has a repsonsibility to show a presence and if that saves one more persons life then it is all good. (Sorry jobsworth Shell there but I hate passing this kinda message on and I understand why the job makes us go and hang around such events).

Still RIP and hope everyone else stays safe x
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

RIP PC David Rathband sad day 29/2/2012
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-08, 10:08 PM   #10
plowsie

All understanble and good points.