SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-06-17, 08:41 AM   #1
SV650sKent

Default SV650S K3 smaller battery

Hi all,
Had a new rear subframe made, I now need to get a new battery.

Any advice welcome but it's not as easy as it sounds,
New battery must be physically smaller than the 150x130x85 normal, particularly the 85 width.
Battery will not be vertical

I'm thinking Lithium ion but don't know much about them??
Pic of bike. IMG_3080.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-17, 08:46 AM   #2
SheepShagger

Default Re: SV650S K3 smaller battery

I used one of these on my build, not cheap by any stretch (although the price has gone up since I bought mine) but the smallest I could find for the cranking amps, and it's been faultless so far.

http://www.antigravitybatteries-uk.c...ery-ag801.html

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 08:58 AM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

Lithium ion batteries are smaller/lighter for their power but don't like cold weather (freezing temps). They must not be allowed to go totally discharged (it shortens their life dramatically). You may need a special battery tender not all optimate models are compatible. They used to be more expensive but I'm guessing their prices have dropped by now - I was wrong - I just looked for a 12ah lithium and they are still expensive.

This one is smaller in width but twice the price of a Yuasa
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skyrich-Mot.../dp/B00F95Q62C
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 09:59 AM   #4
SV650sKent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepShagger View Post
I used one of these on my build, not cheap by any stretch (although the price has gone up since I bought mine) but the smallest I could find for the cranking amps, and it's been faultless so far.

http://www.antigravitybatteries-uk.c...ery-ag801.html

Looks good certainly small enough but £200!
I assume a 2nd gen charging circuit is ok for this?

Old 12-06-17, 10:01 AM   #5
SV650sKent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Lithium ion batteries are smaller/lighter for their power but don't like cold weather (freezing temps). They must not be allowed to go totally discharged (it shortens their life dramatically). You may need a special battery tender not all optimate models are compatible. They used to be more expensive but I'm guessing their prices have dropped by now - I was wrong - I just looked for a 12ah lithium and they are still expensive.

This one is smaller in width but twice the price of a Yuasa
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skyrich-Mot.../dp/B00F95Q62C

Cheers £90 odd I can live with that, will have to get the tape measure out and check if the 20mm saving is enough.

Old 12-06-17, 10:02 AM   #6
SV650sKent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650sKent View Post
Cheers £90 odd I can live with that, will have to get the tape measure out and check if the 20mm saving is enough.

Lithium or lithium Ion?? The big question

Old 12-06-17, 10:04 AM   #7
SheepShagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650sKent View Post
Looks good certainly small enough but £200!
I assume a 2nd gen charging circuit is ok for this?

I'd assume so, my first gen charges it fine, they've gone up about 40 quid since I ordered mine, they do come with a long warranty iirc.

SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 10:42 AM   #8
Seeker
Mega Poster

Lithium ion is what you'll need. We (I) lazily call all of them "lithium" when I mean lithium ion. You can't usually charge a lithium battery but you can a lithium ion battery.

Source:
http://www.greenbatteries.com/li-ion...0dif%20Lithium

Lithium ion batteries are sensitive to charging voltage (more sensitive than an AGM battery), if your charging circuit is functioning correctly you'll be ok. If it was me I'd probably buy some kind of charge monitoring device (sparkbright if you want to support UK economy, ebay for a cheaper version).
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 10:29 PM   #9
TightRS

I fitted a Varta YT-12B as it was the same price as the original (£34 posted last year), thinner with two more amps and extra CCA. I used a piece of wood to fill the gap.

https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-...gm/512-901-019

I replaced it due to the Yuasa being 11 years old and getting weak. I'd also fitted a GSX-R750 shock, but I moved the undertray back an inch+ so the hugger stopped hitting the unmodified toolbox. Luckily there's a fag-paper gap from the shock, though the battery cables were almost too short with moving the undertray.
Old 13-06-17, 07:28 PM   #10
SV650sKent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TightRS View Post
I fitted a Varta YT-12B as it was the same price as the original (£34 posted last year), thinner with two more amps and extra CCA. I used a piece of wood to fill the gap.

https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-...gm/512-901-019

I replaced it due to the Yuasa being 11 years old and getting weak. I'd also fitted a GSX-R750 shock, but I moved the undertray back an inch+ so the hugger stopped hitting the unmodified toolbox. Luckily there's a fag-paper gap from the shock, though the battery cables were almost too short with moving the undertray.

Thanks for link certainly worth looking at, might just fit