SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-09-18, 08:46 AM   #6321
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

The joys of homeownership. This is going to sound ungrateful; I have inherited my Dad's house which is great, I bought my first house when I was 22 and was a homeowner until I lost my job in the US in 2009. So, it feels good to be back owning a home until I move a cabinet and find damp which is one of those (many) things that I don't feel qualified to tackle. It looks like it's rising, the damp course appears to be intact but it roughly lines up with a porch and the seal around that door needs attention, but I'm guessing.

Now, where's the insurance policy I only received two weeks ago...

Did I mention if I switch off the outside security light which is, inexplicably , plugged into a 13A socket upstairs, it blows the circuit breaker for the rest of the outlets. Dad knew about that, got an electrician who said: "I know your ring main is wrong but I can't figure out why!" (that was 15 years ago). As a testament to the original owner, he proudly demonstrated a cooker hood he'd fitted - only he hadn't connected it to the flue, it just vented straight back into the kitchen.

So, thanks Dad, I think.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-18, 09:28 AM   #6322
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Most cooker hoods are designed to be either vented externally or will blow back into same room ( can move a baffle inside hood ), they have a normal grease filter and a carbon one ( carbon one needed for internal venting), not ideal to blow back into room but some people do it because they either can't or don't want to knock a hole in the wall, or don't want to blow hot air outside.

A light that blows a circuit breaker when it is turned off ( is it earth leakage type or just overcurrent ? ) is a worry, don't know what electrician meant about ring main not being right, they are pretty simple and should be checked for earth and neutral crossed.

As for damp, buy a dehumidifier, it is a good thing to have in any house as a dry house has a lot less problems than a damp one, the humidity sensing type ( ebac are made in UK ) switch off when humidity reaches a certain level, cost about a pound a week to run, and they give more heat back to the house than they use in power ( when water is condensed it give up the energy it took to evaporate it, which is how reverse cycle air conditioning returns over 2KW in heat for every 1KW of energy used to power it) and dry walls and ceilings are better insulators than damp ones.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-18, 10:22 AM   #6323
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Most cooker hoods are designed to be either vented externally or will blow back into same room
I know. There was a flue partially installed, the hood was set to vent outside but there was 4 inches of flue missing.

The "house" is a dormer bungalow (late 70s vintage, I think) and I think things went awry when the dormer was installed. Although there is a strange bump in the floor too - like they had carpeted over a hamster. It's one of the coldest places I have ever lived in - maybe it was built over a cemetary?

The seller was proud of the garage (prefab concrete!) but when closed the door from the inside you could see sky. Dad admitted later (after Mum had passed) it was a mistake buying it - you can guess whose idea it was.

I have a dehumidifier but won't use it until I've had someone take a look at the damp patch.

The house electrics have been added to the "to do" list. Dad lived here for 18 years, it can wait a few more months. I'll stop showering with the toaster for now.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-18, 10:06 AM   #6324
Red ones
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I'll check the swirl flaps actuator arm later today, thanks for that piece of info Red ones.

Broke out the credit card and bought a new EGR on ebay, along with oil and filter. Should be here Tuesday/Wednesday. Once that's fitted and the oil and filter are changed I'll get out onto the motorway and have one more go at and active regen cycle. If that doesn't work then it's either one of these or a visit to these people

Be careful with EGR & DPF removal. As the website says, "Our DPF Removal service is sold for off-road use only. Removal of a DPF will almost invariably make your vehicle illegal for use on a public road. This is not legal advice and if you are unsure if this applies to your vehicle, please seek further advice."

It makes the car not only illegal (which is a problem of you get caught) but also an MOT failure. If the MOT centre is vigilant then it will get spotted.
Those eBay prices are refreshing.

On the job front - you never know. I once took a job as a stop gap and 23 years later (and several new jobs) I can say that first one introduced me to something I enjoy. I also one took a shizz job. I was warned by colleagues about it but I ignored them as I wanted the pay rise. God it was awful and the company were shifters who cut every corner possible. I left in months but now I know every trick contractors try in the industry. Occasionally the boss wonders why I don't spend weeks banging on about contractor performance, because I only need all one question most of the time.

My point is, something's the carp job is the one where you learn most even if you leave and go somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-18, 11:39 AM   #6325
Red ones
Mega Poster

My gripe is a boiler health check. It was fine before but now isn't working.

The engineer can't get back until tomorrow's so that's another day off. I can guess what's wrong and I'll bet they'll try claiming the excess for the repair. I'm arguing it's maintenance induced failure. Let's see how far that goes.

Old 18-09-18, 07:56 AM   #6326
timwilky
Mega Poster

Dentist this morning.

I am never a fan of them and my last one dumped me for not attending appointments. Never received an appointment. yes we sent you 3 on phone 07...., err that was my old work phone and the phone/number was replaced so never received.

So 3 years later, I know I need to get things sorted, a couple of broken teeth, 2 fillings dropped out so plucked up the courage. Now to warn the bank manager! So much for the NHS being free at the point of delivery.
Old 18-09-18, 08:18 AM   #6327
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Good luck Tim. Things are a lot better these days and my dentist treats me like a customer instead of a patient, although that is probably an attempt to delve further into my wallet...
Old 18-09-18, 11:54 AM   #6328
timwilky
Mega Poster

Well 3 root stumps to be extracted and two minor fillings.

As there is nothing on top of the roots, crowns gave way years ago and former dentist just left them they might as well go. There is evidence of infection under one. Probably the reason I felt the need to see a dentist. No pain, just a bit uncomfortable.

And not a big hole in the bank balance so a win
Old 18-09-18, 02:21 PM   #6329
Red ones
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
So much for the NHS being free at the point of delivery.

Conservative government in 1989. It's a Thatcher legacy. I believe the phrase of the day was "The NHS is safe in our hands"

Old 18-09-18, 02:43 PM   #6330
Bibio
Mega Poster

dentists are not part of the NHS.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote