SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-03-24, 07:42 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Euro 5+ article

The article explains what Euro 5+ is and its ramifications.
https://www.visordown.com/features/g...avourite-bikes
Old 30-03-24, 08:06 AM   #2
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Euro 5+ article

Interesting article.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-24, 01:45 PM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Most of us probably accept the need for regulating emissions from motor vehicles but I cant help feeling we have had all the low hanging fruit and got rid of the smoky diesels (two strokes) and big particle emitters of yesteryear. Now we seem to be regulating for its own sake and getting ever diminishing returns for our efforts. Time for a rethink about who and what really causes pollution problems these days and I'm certain it is not the Yamaha R1 or anything remotely similar.
Old 01-04-24, 08:29 AM   #4
redtrummy

Yes you do reach a point where you have to put in a lot to get little out.I was talking to a double glazing fitter who was telling me how they keep tightening the u rating and how difficult it is becoming to reach the tigter regs without resorting to triple glazing
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-24, 10:27 AM   #5
glang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Most of us probably accept the need for regulating emissions from motor vehicles but I cant help feeling we have had all the low hanging fruit and got rid of the smoky diesels (two strokes) and big particle emitters of yesteryear. Now we seem to be regulating for its own sake and getting ever diminishing returns for our efforts. Time for a rethink about who and what really causes pollution problems these days and I'm certain it is not the Yamaha R1 or anything remotely similar.
I think theres an element of 'weve all got to do our bit' so regardless of how much each transport sector contributes to the problem its hit with the same rules. Must admit I can imagine the outcry if it wasnt that way....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-24, 07:56 PM   #6
redtrummy

It creates jobs as well
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-24, 08:24 PM   #7
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
I think theres an element of 'weve all got to do our bit' so regardless of how much each transport sector contributes to the problem its hit with the same rules. Must admit I can imagine the outcry if it wasnt that way....
Except it seems we don't all have to do our bit: The article itself states that Yamaha will continue to sell the R1 in other countries where (by logical implication) the rules must be less stringent. So those places are clearly 'doing less than their bit' if this is about addressing a shared global problem by appying the same rules to everyone.

Now I'm not in a financial position to consider new machines (cars or bikes) but the irony for me is that this will further encourage and make me determined to invest what little I do manage to get together in restoring, refurbishing and upgrading old machines to be enjoyed for longer.

I don't endorse a 'to hell with it, because others are already far worse' attitude. But I can imagine that, in practical effect, this legislative approach could keep more older 'polluting' engines on the roads for longer, and cause other providers to withdraw product offerings from the market, limiting consumer choice and restricting economic growth potential. I suspect that's not the policy outcome they wanted!
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote