SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-06-16, 07:12 PM   #861
aesmith

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
fitted these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1818709478...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT much much easier than the old type and plug directly into the OEM loom. one this is that you will still need to run a live from ignition live to keep them on while the main/flash is being used otherwise they will turn off, i think as i have not tried.
How do those deal with dipped/main beam?
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-16, 08:35 PM   #862
Bibio
Mega Poster

its a bit tricky but easy enough.

you need to remove the three fuses and pick out the main ignition busbar (tricky part) from the fuse box then open up one of the spare crimps then add a wire on to that with a female spade on the end then replace the 3 fuses again. next take the white dip beam wire from the fuse box (remove the fuse as it will no longer be needed) and cut it leaving enough wire both ends to be able to attach a spade connector. the 'loom' end gets a male spade and the fuse box end gets taped up for the moment or a female spade attached for future in case you want to put it back to normal again. the white wire with the male spade then connects to the wire you added earlier. this now makes the dip beam on with ignition and stays on while the ignition is on. all other wiring is left alone. ****do not and i repeat do not cut into the main ignition wire to make life easier or use a scotch lock, you are just asking for trouble later****.

before with the lights when you pressed the flash or main beam it would cut the power to the dip beam which is no good for HID. with the mod it makes the dip beam stay on even if you press the flash or main. there is an electromechanical switch in the HID that pulls the filament which gives you main beam when you press flash or main beam.

you also have to remove the 'ribbing' from the rubber weather protection on the headlight or you wont get the lamp back in. you also need to separate the ballast/lamp from the 3 prong holder to be able to fit. its ok they are meant to come apart and all it takes is a twist and pull.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-16, 06:30 AM   #863
Fen Tiger

Fitted an SW Motech Evo system to take over luggage duty from my trusty MotoFizz seat bag. Went on OK. The holes for the rear number plate bracket had to be moved slightly. Also changed the 4 spark plugs and air filter for the first time (6k but a long trip planned). Not as tricky as I was anticipating thankfully.
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-16, 08:14 AM   #864
Swin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swin View Post
rear indicator stopped indicating on the way in to work, spare bulb tried, no joy - damn!
Closer inspection showed a crack in the plastic near where the screw holds the lens cover in place, which had allowed water in - quick clean up and a small washer glued to the indicator has provided a temporary fix until I can order a new indicator cover, although with my track record, the "temp" fix will probably still be there when I get rid of the bike
Swin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-16, 03:20 PM   #865
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Rear brake light switch replaced on the viffer. Giving the heat shield a de-rust and paint while it's in bits.
Old 23-06-16, 12:19 PM   #866
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Just fitted some risers to the VFR. Not had a chance to ride the bike yet but the extra 20mm should help my back.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Old 26-06-16, 07:57 PM   #867
Swin

tinkering around with my son's CBF125 today, been tidying it up for him but needed it to get into London for nights tonight - seeing as I picked up another puncture last night and the repair guy had taken Sunday off, the bounder
Swin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-16, 05:49 PM   #868
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

My pedals (on the push bike). They have survived 18 years of use but the oe pedals have seen better days. One was getting pretty loose on its spindle and the other makes scrunching noises at random suggesting a bearing or two are unhappy.

Explained my meagre riding habits and simple Raleigh hybrid commuter steed to the chap in the only remaining independant cycle shop in town as well as my (possibly mad) thoughts about trying toe cages and he suggested some simple looking Oxford jobbies that came all bolted together. It only took a bit of swearing and a hammer to get the old ones off and the new ones were on in time for a trial run to the pub. The straps will take a bit of getting used to but so far so good.
Old 04-07-16, 07:56 AM   #869
atassiedevil

VF1100C.
2 new tyres, fixed the screen bracket, fitted 2 high intensity LEDs to the side boxes as brake lights, and a general fettling.
Handles a LOT better now.
Old 24-07-16, 01:06 PM   #870
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Looks like I'll be replacing the left hand fork seal again. Damage caused by a tiny chip in the fork tube which I missed on the lady strip. Filled the pit with some Araldite for the time being.

Last edited by admin; 24-07-16 at 01:07 PM.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote