SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-06-07, 10:31 AM   #1
New Leaf

Default Roll Bags - anybody used them?

I currently use a huge 45l top box on my old sv, and its great for work. I need to carry a suit, shirt, tie and smart shoes once a week on a 250 mile round trip to work. The top box works great for this, as i can fit everything in without creasing my suit, and look nice and smart when i get to work.

I am looking to replace my bike soon with a sprint st or a ducatti st3, and i don't really want to spoil the lines of either of these bikes with a nasty rack and top box.

So i have been looking at roll bags? I am thinking i could put my suit and stuff in a suit carrier, and then roll it up loosely and put in in the roll bag and strap it to the pillion seat.

I found this one on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ORTLIEB-X-PLOR...QQcmdZViewItem

and HG also do one - but as its only £4.99 its probably pants.

So has anyone ever used one of these before? Is it really a suitable alternative to an ugly top box? How would i safely attach it to the bike? Basically just looking for re-assurance it would be okay - i've never strapped anything to my bike before - always just used my huge givi box.
Old 29-06-07, 10:57 AM   #2
muffles

Default Re: Roll Bags - anybody used them?

If you are going to strap it to the pillion seat rather than wear it on your back (which is how it looks like it should be used?) why don't you get proper soft luggage stuff you can strap to the bike? Alternatively maybe a tank bag, they look a lot better than top boxes imo?
Old 29-06-07, 12:47 PM   #3
clanger

Don't buy the HG one...its pants...it broke the first day I used it, and it only had a sleeping bag & blanket in it...the HG catalogue do a better one for £16.99, my mate has had one for ages and said its superb.
Old 29-06-07, 05:57 PM   #4
Paws

weve had a recall on the 4.99 roll bags as a batch went out that quite strong enough, the 16.99 are better
Old 29-06-07, 08:40 PM   #5
monkey

I wouldn't load that ebay one up with stuff and put it on my back! (Unless I was only going to fill it up with bubble wrap) When I go away for the weekend I use a normal holdall. In this pic I have quite a big holdall and a rucksack. Strapped together very nicely. Used the rucksak straps under the undertray and the strap from the bag. Rode 120 odd miles with no problems. Maybe go for a normal bag that you could use off the bike too. If you get a pointy you get free bungee hooks!

Shot at 2007-06-29

Last edited by monkey; 29-06-07 at 08:41 PM. Reason: deliberate mistake
Old 29-06-07, 10:46 PM   #6
Ceri JC

As is usually the case when you can buy non-biking versions of something (waterproofs, thermals, etc.), get the non-biking one! I'd get a decent one from a canoeing/camping and outdoor store. Camping kit is generally a lot more robust for day to day use than things geared for use on bikes. Likewise, a canoeing dry bag will actually stay dry, whereas we all know what 'waterproof' usually means in relation to biking kit.

Seriously though, a decent roll bag, securely bungied to the pillion seat should be fine.
Old 30-06-07, 02:12 PM   #7
gazman

I can vouch that the Ortlieb drybags are decent. I've used it as a liner in my rucksack while doing several river crossings using my rucksack as a float & never had a leak, i also use smaller ones in my tankbag/tailpack.

Cheers, Gaz.
Old 30-06-07, 02:30 PM   #8
chazzyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazman View Post
I can vouch that the Ortlieb drybags are decent.
I've had all my gear - tent, sleeping bag, airbed, clothes, etc., in a big Ortlieb dry bag on my bike this week-end. I was under canvas last night with some mates down in Kent with an evening in the pub on the lash! Loadsa beer! Mine's marketed as a version for motorcycle use.
Old 30-06-07, 05:30 PM   #9
TEC

Another thumbs up for the Ortlieb bag

There is a down side though, with the topbox you are laying stuff in it and closing the lid, assuming its not over packed nothing gets crushed The bag on the other hand isn't rigid so when you put stuff in it there's more chance of the stuff getting crushed, nice creased suit on the day

As someone esle said, if you're doing this on a regular basis it may be worth getting some throw-over type bags
Old 01-07-07, 11:57 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

Ortlieb stuff's absolutely ace, it'll last forever too unless abused... But I'm not sure it's ideal for what you're trying to do here. I always wear my work clothes under my textiles, but 250 miles would probably leave you a crumpled heap. Any chance of just leaving stuff up there?

If the bike you choose has a seperate pillion seat, you could attach the bottom plate off the topbox onto a spare seat, and avoid the need for the racks... Or I suppose this would work just as well with a banana seat really. It can make it a bit awkward to get on and off though.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote