SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-01-09, 01:32 PM   #1
Ed

Default Your thoughts please - initial market research

You will remember that I've bought a caravan. I'm thinking about buying another to let out, which I think would be sited at Montford Bridge - in fact on the pub campsite by the River Severn, where AR06 was based. Here in Shropshire and mid Wales we have fantastic roads and beautiful scenery, I know I'm biased but we really are spoiled for choice. There's a fantastic ride whatever direction you go in.

So - I'd like your thoughts on whether you think that a long weekend/week in Shropshire in a 4 berth caravan with awning would appeal to bikers generally. The idea would be to provide enough stuff so that people don't need to carry loads of gear. Cost - haven't done the sums in detail but I guess it would be around £350/week, £130 for a weekend, all in.

Thoughts?
Old 28-01-09, 01:50 PM   #2
Miss Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Your thoughts please - initial market research

Sounds reasonable to me. Id happily stay in the caravan for that price.

Shropshire is a really nice place, got some family friends who live there on a farm.

Maria
Old 28-01-09, 02:01 PM   #3
Stig

Wouldn't appeal to me. I would rather rough it in my tent for far cheaper.
Old 28-01-09, 02:07 PM   #4
madness

How much is it to rent a cottage down that way? I rented a 2 person cottage in the Lakes last year for £330. Shropshire doesn't grab me as somewhere anyone would go for a full week, but would probably be good for a weekend.
Old 28-01-09, 02:18 PM   #5
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe View Post
Wouldn't appeal to me. I would rather rough it in my tent for far cheaper.
+1. Once your tent is set up and you have dumped your stuff, it's not like having carried it is any real hindrance. I'd like comparative luxury if paying anything like caravan prices (Sun Holiday rates excepted!). I'd rather pay an extra £20 per night and have a log cabin and make it really special. There's nowt like sitting on the porch drinking a beer out in the sticks while the bike's engine pings as it cools under the setting sun.
Old 28-01-09, 02:22 PM   #6
ogden
Mega Poster

I can think of few things less appealing than a week in a caravan.

Anthrax, maybe?
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-09, 02:24 PM   #7
Gazza77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
You will remember that I've bought a caravan. I'm thinking about buying another to let out, which I think would be sited at Montford Bridge - in fact on the pub campsite by the River Severn, where AR06 was based. Here in Shropshire and mid Wales we have fantastic roads and beautiful scenery, I know I'm biased but we really are spoiled for choice. There's a fantastic ride whatever direction you go in.

So - I'd like your thoughts on whether you think that a long weekend/week in Shropshire in a 4 berth caravan with awning would appeal to bikers generally. The idea would be to provide enough stuff so that people don't need to carry loads of gear. Cost - haven't done the sums in detail but I guess it would be around £350/week, £130 for a weekend, all in.

Thoughts?
Potentially a good idea, but seems rather pricey for me.

To compare, I've just booked a 3 night stay for two of us in a village pub: £100 for B&B. I'd imagine a 4 berth caravan would be a little cozy for 4 adults + all their kit, so you're probably competing against something similar, and I'd imagine most people would prefer the space of the B&B plus the breakfast for similar money.

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-09, 02:29 PM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Sounds pricey to me,and as above B&B is more competitive.When you consider that you can get a week in a Med resort for that sort of money it puts it in perspective for me.
Old 28-01-09, 02:33 PM   #9
Ed

Thanks for the feedback, all good stuff. As stated, I ain't done the £££ in detail.
Old 28-01-09, 02:34 PM   #10
stewie

Are there any site rules regarding renting out ? me and the mrs were looking to buy a caravan Kirkcudbright a while ago, but it was pointed out to us that 'noisy' motorcycles and 'motorcyclist,s' were not really encouraged whether they were potentially buying a caravan or renting it out to friends, just a thought.