SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Should Scotland be an independent country?
Yes 24 34.78%
No 36 52.17%
Keithd 9 13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-09-14, 02:47 PM   #281
TamSV
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Org Scottish Referendum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
from the uneducated on the estate where I lived; open hostility. From the supposedly educated in the IT department at RBS, where I was contracting, a more subtle approach. They took the form of anti-English "jokes" that weren't funny. I once challenged my manager over one remark she made and told her that it was racist. Her response was that it couldn't be racist because it was against the English. My partner was told by a workmate in the IT department at Scottish Widows the we shouldn't be allowed to buy a property in Scotland because Scotland was for Scots and not the English. Just a couple of examples but similar remarks were almost a daily occurrence.
I agree that's all pretty poor but I had the same experience as a Scot working in England for several years - from jokes to physical violence. I don't hold that against "the English". There's intolerant, ignorant ****s all over but don't worry about it. If you tar everyone with the same brush you've basically become what you despise.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-14, 02:56 PM   #282
Heorot

Actually Tam, I think the virulence is a relatively recent phenomenon. The incidents referred to in my last post were in 2000 & 2001 in and around Edinburgh. However, I first visited and toured Scotland in 1969 and again in 1975. On both those visits I never encountered any hostility. Indeed the reverse. However, on both those visits I was mainly in the Highlands rather than the Central Belt.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-14, 02:59 PM   #283
The Basket

I have lived in Scotland for 7 years.
I haven't experienced anti English apart from witty banter.
Or maybe I have thick skin.

The problem with Scottish Independence is its pure nonsense. How anyone can vote yes is beyond me.

As they say, you can't eat a flag.
Old 15-09-14, 03:02 PM   #284
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
Actually Tam, I think the virulence is a relatively recent phenomenon. The incidents referred to in my last post were in 2000 & 2001 in and around Edinburgh. However, I first visited and toured Scotland in 1969 and again in 1975. On both those visits I never encountered any hostility. Indeed the reverse. However, on both those visits I was mainly in the Highlands rather than the Central Belt.
I think you might find that's just an example of Big city ******s.

I'll just leave that there to offend half the forum, but at least it's not specifically the Scottish half.
Old 15-09-14, 03:13 PM   #285
TamSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Basket View Post
The problem with Scottish Independence is its pure nonsense. How anyone can vote yes is beyond me.
It's just a discussion about how people choose to organise themselves to deliver public services. It's actually pretty hum drum.

It's some of the arguments used to justify it that are nonsense.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-14, 03:23 PM   #286
Spank86

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/a...-2014091590577
Old 15-09-14, 03:29 PM   #287
Fordward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
nothing about the BOE or Westminster in recent decades has shown me any reason the still be part of that union
Stability and security are what you have within the Union, Scotland is currently part of one of the richest countries in the world. Yes, it's not all flowers and roses, and sometimes for place like Northern England and Scotland it can seem a bit s#!t.

But is the grass greener on the other side of the fence? And do you want to risk breaking a leg jumping that fence to find out, when it might a pig sty full of s#!t on the other side.
Old 15-09-14, 03:32 PM   #288
pegasus
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post

Because nobody ever bothered changing the name, the bank of England is controlled by the governors and executive officers of the bank, the chief governor being a Canadian. and all the UK has the same control over it. don't get hung up on a name, up until 1946 it was a fully private institution.

What resources do you think we'd have if the BOE went bust? All those pretty notes are backed by that self same bank, the only way it could go bust is if we all quit our jobs and simultaneously withdrew all our money from the banking system. Or if the UK government decided it was a brilliant economic plan in some moment of madness.
Just curious but, do you actually believe this?

I understand that previously the Gold Standard would have been the basis for guaranteeing any transactions, but the gold is gone, I also understand that in recent years Bonds will have exchanged hands (with other national banks? eg Japan) to underwrite any future transactions. But the GBP is only worth what somebody will give you for it, nothing substantial backs it up other than trust!!.

Meanwhile the Rothschilds (yawn) are getting richer.

P

pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-14, 03:35 PM   #289
Fordward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i will now give my reason why i'm voting yes on the 18th.

Scotland as a nation has hard times ahead of it be it in the union or out the union when the oil finally runs out. being in the union when this happens is pretty much going to mean very hard times for the Scottish population as it will not be in control of its own finances and not have built up its own economy. being out the union means that Scotalnd with the right people behind the scenes can work towards a hopefully stable financial future where they will not need the revenue form the oil as long as they can build and sustain an economy, how Scotland would do this i dont know as i'm no expert on economics and i'm placing my trust on such people to do the right job as i already do at the moment.

either way it's not looking good for Scotland's future but i would rather stay in a country that is in charge of its own economic climate rather than beg for handouts that WILL be slashed. at the moment Scotland's finances are pretty much give and take of what we send down to Westminster and what we receive back so at the moment all is well, when the oil does run out then there will be a massive shortfall in what Scotland is contributing to the coffers and i'm not nieve enought to think that we will still be given the same revenue to look after our affairs.

this is why in one of my earlier posts i mentioned that i would prefer to see the UK disbanded and one single country created with one single currency as this would insure that everyone was treated fairly. this in time would stop the 'identity slagging' as we would all be 'insert nationality of new country'. but this is not happening so i'm voting for the next best thing that is in my interest to do so. only downside to this is the 'identity slagging' will continue and more than likely get even worse which is a shame.

my thought proses might be a bit strange or even wrong but thats how i feel about the future of Scotland.

the BOE could collapse tomorrow which would leave ALL of us up the shizz creek and owing to England having the highest population of all of the UK then this is where most of the available revenue would be spent in sustaining this population.
That's fair do's. Your the first person in 8 pages (you would be the first person in 41 pages on another forum I'm on) who's actually given their own reasoning's for voting yes, that actually make sense, rather than just regurgitating SNP propaganda.
Old 15-09-14, 03:44 PM   #290
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
Just curious but, do you actually believe this?

I understand that previously the Gold Standard would have been the basis for guaranteeing any transactions, but the gold is gone, I also understand that in recent years Bonds will have exchanged hands (with other national banks? eg Japan) to underwrite any future transactions. But the GBP is only worth what somebody will give you for it, nothing substantial backs it up other than trust!!.

Meanwhile the Rothschilds (yawn) are getting richer.

P
Believe what? that all the UK has the same control as each other over it? that Scotland England, wales and Northern Ireland all have the same control in the ability of the UK parliament to pass laws and to regulate the bank (which the government also owns)?

Or that the Governor of the bank Mark Carney was born in Canada?

Or that the bank was nationalised in 1946?

All that's a matter of public record.

The gold standard still brings us back to trust, after all what gives gold value? Buying gold in case there's an apocalypse makes less sense than buying canned food. Instead of the gold standard which is just an arbitrary precious metal and puts us in a situation where there's not enough capital available due to the scarcity of gold we simply back the currency with everything. land, property, pork bellies... everything gives the currency value, gold is just another commodity as part of that.

Last edited by Spank86; 15-09-14 at 03:45 PM.