SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-10-10, 08:25 AM   #1
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Default Thin crust pizza - how to

Well, posted about pizza on facebook and Luckypants asked me to share, but it's easier to show than tell...so here you go.

Laugh as much as you want, I have been using skin thickening ointment for the last few days in preparation

There is a video that failed to upload last night, but it's not an important one so I've left it out. It was just showing me making the first pizza, how to use not too much base sauce and not too much topping or cheese. The way to get great pizza is to remember...less is best!

Before you start the dough, put a flat baking sheet, bakestone or other flat metal or heatproof stone surface into the oven and preheat to 210c / gas 7. If you don't have a flat baking sheet, use a normal baking tray upsidedown.

When the pizza base is rolled out, put it onto another flat surface, like another upturned baking tray that is floured so that you can easily slide it off that and onto the hot tray in the oven. Maybe that video clip was important after all...ooops!

Just a note, in the above video, I say to roll from the centre out and that it's important to do that with pastry and not to ever stretch pastry when you're rolling it. If you stretch pastry, it will receed in cooking and shrink. You'll notice that I am stretching this bread dough though as with bread dough, you need to stretch it out to the size you want. Also missing with the other vid is what the dough looks like when ready. You'll see above how thin the base is already at the end of the video. All you do from this point in start with your fingers or knuckles again to stretch the centre out a little thinner still, leave the edges. You want the edges to stay 1mm thicker than the centre and make the edge about 1/2 inch wide.

The pesto bechamel in this is easy. Make a white sauce, add some grated parmesan and stir in some pesto...makes a really nomalicious base!

So there you have it. A recap of the ingredients:-

500g strong white bread flour
300ml tepid water
7g dried yeast (14g if using fresh)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp caster sugar
1 tbsp olive oil

Last edited by gruntygiggles; 21-10-10 at 09:09 AM.
gruntygiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-10, 08:25 AM   #2
Swin

Default Re: Thin crust pizza - how to

didn't work for me
Swin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-10, 08:29 AM   #3
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-10, 08:53 AM   #4
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

What does 404 mean...I am the least it savvy person you'll ever meet.

I just logged out of photobucket and clicked a vid above and it worked fine ?

Last edited by gruntygiggles; 21-10-10 at 08:54 AM.
Old 21-10-10, 09:02 AM   #5
minimorecambe

Works for me Cheryl
Old 21-10-10, 09:04 AM   #6
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimorecambe View Post
Works for me Cheryl
Phew. Maybe it was just a loading thing with photobucket as I was looking at stuff on there myself. I shall stay away from photobucket...lol
Old 21-10-10, 09:07 AM   #7
anna
Mega Poster

They all worked fine for me! Great work GG.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-10, 09:47 AM   #8
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntygiggles View Post
Well, posted about pizza on facebook and Luckypants asked me to share, but it's easier to show than tell...so here you go.
Bingo! Do not prove pizza dough! Reckon this is why mine come out like biscuits. Ta chezza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntygiggles View Post
Before you start the dough, put a flat baking sheet, bakestone or other flat metal or heatproof stone surface into the oven and preheat to 210c / gas 7. If you don't have a flat baking sheet, use a normal baking tray upsidedown.

When the pizza base is rolled out, put it onto another flat surface, like another upturned baking tray that is floured so that you can easily slide it off that and onto the hot tray in the oven. Maybe that video clip was important after all...ooops!
Just like Rick Stein suggests, works for me.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-10, 09:57 AM   #9
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Has made me want to build a pizza oven in the garden...maybe a project for the spring

Yes Mike...the beauty of this is that a 500g batch of dough will give you 6-8 pizzas depending on how big you have them or...do as I do and use half for pizza and half gets rubbed with oil and proven for an hour, knocked back, proven for another hour in a loaf tin and cooked.

I put dried oregano in the bread I made from the leftover of the above dough, proved it in the oven (put in cold oven, set to 50c, 5 mins later turn off oven and leave for an hour) only I left it all night as I was busy trying to upload these vids.
Came down in the morning, knocked it back a little, kneaded a bit and proved again then baked.....was no different despite being left overnight and the oregano is lovely. Not so much that you could really taste it, but enought that it gave it a lovely aroma and earthiness.

Note: the only reason I used the oven to prove is because the rest of the house was freeeeeezing...lol

Last edited by gruntygiggles; 21-10-10 at 09:59 AM.
Old 21-10-10, 10:01 AM   #10
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

or buy them from Asda ! .. xxx