SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-09-14, 04:29 PM   #471
Nutsinatin

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

The owner of the car parked in the road on the inside of a blind bend. With the amount of scrapes and number of new wing mirrors I'm wondering if they are ever going to realise this is a bad place to park, especially as you can't see anything when you pass the car and just have to hope the oncoming lane is clear!
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-14, 04:49 PM   #472
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

So today I was asked why if I have asked for £7000 in the budget to replace my camera kit with work paid for gear we still need to book photographers to cover some days.

It shows how little understanding they have of photography.

That £7k will only replace some of my kit, the basic body, 2 lenses, flash, tripod. They've had use of my kit for 12 years at no cost to them, about time they replaced it.

But if they want sports action done I can add another £10k to that at least for gear and then on match days they can forget me running about doing the role of photography manager as I'd have to be sat pitch side for 8 hours, oh and be in 2 places at once as we have a photographer at each end, then I'd need 2 days to edit those photos so that takes me out of my managerial role for 2 more days.

And then they asked if me taking the photos is actually cost effective then?

Well I guess every day when I take a picture, and I take a few each day at least, be it a burger and a pint for a promotion you've just decided to run on the website, a member of staff for a trade mag, a VIP visitor, a new floor being laid in the Academy, a priceless book you've just restored or some new shirts you've started selling in the shop you could book the pro to come in instead. Of course they wouldn't be available at 5 minutes notice like I am. Then if you are happy to have limited usage and not own the copyright that'll be £200, or if you want the copyright as well, £750, and even though it's only a couple of hours they will charge you for the whole day.

I do despair sometimes. And on top of all this, I am organising a huge Literary festival, because the person who did it last year left and they never replaced them, so I've taken it on because I'm good at event organising even though it's not even slightly in my role.

Which is all very well, but they've asked if I can now produce a report about it, by tomorrow, and that's a day's work in itself.

Aaaagggghhhhhhh. I'm going to retrain as a pole dancer.
Old 25-09-14, 05:19 PM   #473
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

What is your job role then LPH? I'd re-iterate to them exactly what you are hired to do and then highlight all the savings they've had for all the additional things you do that should really need another person. Once all that is said and done suggest they either increase your pay or let you get on with things...

To be fair though £7000 is a lot so wanting a report on the whys etc is kinda fair enough, just not for tomorrow...

I have no job gripes...last day tomorrow then I'm unemployed until I find something else...well, employed by my company on low salary but not contracted out anywhere for now...

Triumph and Suzuki owner

Last edited by kaivalagi; 25-09-14 at 05:20 PM.
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-14, 05:22 PM   #474
Spank86

I think your being unreasonable LPH. Just use an iPhone and a bunch of Instagram filters.

Nobody will know the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post

Aaaagggghhhhhhh. I'm going to retrain as a pole dancer.
Actually I believe we have a solution, I've had a whip round and various anonymous members of the forum are prepared to front you the £7000 if you promise not to.

Last edited by Spank86; 25-09-14 at 05:24 PM.
Old 25-09-14, 05:33 PM   #475
maviczap
Mega Poster

Always the same with accountants or budget holders, they seem to think its their own money.

I wanted £320 for replacement spares for equipment that we use everyday. I asked for the bare minimum. I was told the budget holders may wish to source it elsewhere, although there is only one source of supply for this equipment, there hold the rights to the product.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-14, 05:43 PM   #476
Grant66

This sort of thing happening on a daily basis.

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

http://youtu.be/_cWedBC1uhE
Although the flashing yellow light was a bit of a give away...

Last edited by Grant66; 25-09-14 at 05:48 PM.
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-14, 05:50 PM   #477
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant66 View Post
This sort of thing happening on a daily basis.

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

http://youtu.be/_cWedBC1uhE
Although the flashing yellow light was a bit of a give away...
That'll be the forcefield is on sign
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-14, 05:57 PM   #478
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I've already done a full report on why I need the gear and shown that if they used a pro to do all the photos I do they'd be paying in excess of £40,000 a year to own the photos. A bit less if they could use them but not be able to supply them to anyone else to promote Lord's.

So if you have a press release but no picture to go with it it's less likely to get coverage.

As well as doing photography my role encompasses taking care of the Broadcasters and photographers on match days, managing the picture library, dealing with requests from third parties to film and photograph at Lord's, and negotiating the fees, it isn't all cricket related. I also manage the relationship with sponsors, ECB and ICC in regards to media and PR events, press conferences etc. And using my contacts with current and former players I obtain items for the museum and interviews for our digital media team.

So it's not a full time photography job, one of the management team of MCC.

Adam you want to ebank or PayPal me the money?
Old 25-09-14, 05:58 PM   #479
Spank86

I'd rather embezzle it.
Old 25-09-14, 06:12 PM   #480
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Don't you mean vajazzle it?