SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

South & West Surfers Just for the guys and gals in the south and south west of the UK.

Old 17-09-06, 07:10 PM   #1
hovis

Default weekday rideouts??

i was just wondering about a weekday rideout b4 the dark nights come i spos most peeps work in the day so perhaps mid week wouuld be good alocal route for local people but dont ask me where as u get lost going to the shops
Old 17-09-06, 07:24 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Dude, I know you're keen and everything, but a piece of advice given to me by my old dad was.

"Don't ride in a group with your mates till you have some miles under your belt"

Tis good advice, IMHO best to get out there by yourself get used to the bike and how it behaves before you ride in a group.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-06, 07:28 PM   #3
valleyboy

I'll second Fizz' advice.. get some miles under your belt on your own before going out in a group.... learn what the bike can do, get use to how it accelerates, and brakes.... then, when you do go out in a group, you will be that little bit more ready when people start slowing down in a hurry !
Old 17-09-06, 07:55 PM   #4
hovis

right then,im going to part ex my sv for a honda cub & join the cubs owners club

only jokin i surpose i have been overdoing it a bit
Old 17-09-06, 07:56 PM   #5
tiggers1963

3rded on the above advice, I remember my first group ride out, I hadn't got used to my bike (a bandit 600) and I did not enjoy the ride at all as i was terrified of making a mistake or not being experienced enough to ride in a group safely. Learn both yours and the bikes limits before attempting a group ride out, as you'll find the majority of the group are vastly more experienced and therefore more aware of whats going on around them.
Old 17-09-06, 07:59 PM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

No harm in being keen, just get yourself used to the bike and riding... I found my first big group rideout a little offputting till I got used to group riding etiquette... I'd been riding 2 years before I did my first rideout.

Last thing you want to do to yourself is to go on a group rideout, Feel under pressure to keep up and go into a bend a little quicker than you feel comfy with ( you will do this trust me ) and poo your pants or worse.

Better to take your time and ease yourself into it all gently and have a long and rewarding biking career than to scare yourself silly and loose your confidence on the bike at an early stage and not ride anymore. ( I know people who have done this )

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-06, 07:47 AM   #7
Beenz

Just take your time and don't rush. Get used to your bike first as has already been said here.

On your first ride out, just ride at your own pace. Learn from those who your following, from taking in the lines they take around bends to braking points. You can learn a lot this way. Remember, keep looking around as well, it's easy in a group to just follow and not look.
Old 18-09-06, 07:51 AM   #8
the white rabbit

When I started I found someone to ride with regularly who was a bit better than me (Monkey) and a lot better (JohnD) rather than in a group. I did this too when I got the GS. So what you need is a good wingman

Riding with just one person helps a lot, you can watch what they do and learn a lot.

Personally if you can do that, its better than riding on your own, but a lrage groups not so good as the others say.

I'd be up for an eve ride with you except the eves are drawing in by time I get across to Wales now.
Old 18-09-06, 08:05 AM   #9
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rich
When I started I found someone to ride with regularly who was a bit better than me (Monkey) and a lot better (JohnD) rather than in a group. I did this too when I got the GS. So what you need is a good wingman
I agree with Fizz's advice for large groups, but going out in 2s and 3s with people you know (or at least trust) might actually help, especially if they are safe riders (rather than balls out, knee down action heros which you don't need at the moment!) and you follow them sometimes watching their lines, etc.

Also handy to to stop and talk things through over a coffee and a burger.

I was lucky in that regard and have since been lucky to find a few people on here with a similar mindset to me.... quickish but above all safe.

Personally, I'd be happy to nip out for an hour or two with you on a weekday evening and I know one or two others on here would too (but I'll let them volunteer!!)

But not this week. Sorry
Old 18-09-06, 09:30 AM   #10
Xan173

...and go to a "bikesafe" event, run by your local bike cops.

Not only will you have the opportunity to follow and observe an advanced rider, you'll also get an assessment of your current skills. Another plus is that you're likely to meet other bikers with the same mindset - i.e. to enjoy biking and come home with bike and rider unscathed.