SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-11-07, 10:44 AM   #1
petevtwin650

Default Radial Front Master Cylinder.

Bought a Gsxr K4 (I believe) front brake master off of Ebay for 80 guid. Fitted it using the existing braided hoses. so that's the 2 line setup. Had to buy a new double banjo as the Sv one is a finer thread. 1.25x10mm (gsxr) 1.00x10mm(sv). That cost a fiver. The brake switch leads clipped straight in, and there are no clearance issues.

Right, ready to bleed it now. Any tips? Gonna try the pushing fluid through method. Scored some syringes off of ebay (thanks Northwind). Is there a special method cos, of course, there's the bleed nipple right on the top of the cylinder.

Pete
Old 16-11-07, 11:44 AM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Radial Front Master Cylinder.

If there's a bleed nipple on the master cylinder you should have an easier time of it than most. I always advocate simply filling the reservoir up, opening a bleed nipple at the bottom and just waiting for the fluid to come out without bubbles. Work round each bleed nipple in turn, tapping the caliper with a spanner or similar to work out the bubbles. Then tighten everything up and give the lever a squeeze to see how it feels, pump the system up, and then bleed a bit again.

I found the 2 line setup trickier to bleed than the 3 line one as air gets trapped at the top banjo bolt, a spanner and a rag can let you use this as an extra messy bleed nipple if you don't have one there: Pull lever, loosen banjo a little, watch bubbles come out, close banjo, release lever. Repeat.

Jambo
Old 16-11-07, 05:10 PM   #3
phil24_7
Mega Poster

I'll need to do all of this as soon as I fit my new front end so keep posting usefull nuggets of info as I'm new to working on bikes!

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-07, 11:07 PM   #4
chunkytfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil24_7 View Post
I'll need to do all of this as soon as I fit my new front end so keep posting usefull nuggets of info as I'm new to working on bikes!

seriously then get someone to show you. Everything else doesnt really matter that much and is pretty straight forward but brakes take alot of patience to get right.
Old 17-11-07, 12:12 AM   #5
phil24_7
Mega Poster

I'll get my bro to help me, he does all his own work on his bike so he should be clued up!

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-07, 12:16 AM   #6
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Why did you buy the new cylinder?
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote