SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-10-08, 10:46 PM   #1
mark grinyer

Default Just booked the practical - what to do now?

I've just booked my practise for 27th november. It's at 08:20 in telford.
Is doing it that early going to be make it easier/harder. It does mean I have to go through college traffic, but I aint filtering on my test.
I have "accidently" mastered the controlled stop (emergency) through practise from racing down contry lanes.

Only problem I have is the U-turn. I try to follow the advice, look far ahead, knees in but it never seems to work. I can do it but only if I totally open the throttle half way round, which I would fail due to lack of control.

Any advice other than practise much welcome as I'll be doing plenty.
Old 02-10-08, 10:54 PM   #2
Ed

Default Re: Just booked the practical, want to do now

Mark, there's plenty of advice on here. This is a good thread on teh subject:

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...u-turns&page=2

I think I copied the link from page 2, Fizz did a great post on page 1.

It'll be cold first thing in the morning. Just beware icy bits. You'll have all day to celebrate Where is the test centre in Telford?
Old 02-10-08, 11:09 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Fizz did a great post on page 1.
U turns are just practise, till you nail it. This is the post Ed is refering to

http://forums.sv650.org/showpost.php...36&postcount=4

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 11:13 PM   #4
mark grinyer

It's in hortonwood. heading north on the A442, i think it is last island before shawbirch, 3rd exit, 1st left, on your right.

I'm just hoping i haven't picked up too many bad habbits in 10,000 miles, because i may not be able to afford any lessons. Wheres that uncle when you need him
Old 02-10-08, 11:15 PM   #5
simesb

+1 on keeping the revs up - you shouldn't fail on lack of control for that.

My school told me there's nothing in the test for mechanical sympathy - the only way I could do a u-turn then was to keep the revs well up and slip the clutch a lot.
Old 02-10-08, 11:18 PM   #6
mark grinyer

I only seem to loose it and plant my foot when the bike hits full lock, even when i do it gently
Old 02-10-08, 11:23 PM   #7
simesb

Some people find it easier going straight into the turn, I always found it easier to ride straight for a couple of metres before turning - but remember you need an extra lifesaver before the turn if you do. Otherwise, Fizz's advice is good, but I would add that you don't need any throttle control for the turn, it's all in the clutch. Wind the revs on, and just slip it round.

Just think, it's the only time you ever need to do a u-turn without putting a foot down. After you pass, who cares?
Old 03-10-08, 08:38 AM   #8
Ed

I used to keep putting my foot down. It was because I let the revs drop and there was insufficient power to drive the bike through te turn. You must get used to the engine revving - yes it sounds loud but don't worry about that - and also you don't want to have to keep looking down at the tacho to see how fast the engine is turning as if you do you'll come to grief. Get used to the sound of the engine and don't let the loudness put you off.
Old 03-10-08, 08:53 AM   #9
evonic

I nailed this with advice from my instructor not to start too close to the curb. Come out about 1-1.5 metres then turn into the nearest curb before fully locking the bars to the opposite kerb. Does that make sense?! The extra space it gives you in your turn can make all the difference.
Old 03-10-08, 09:21 AM   #10
cuffy

Loadsa rev's, ride it on the clutch and shift your ar$e off the seat to enable you to counter balance it better at low speeds, well it worked for me anyway