SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-03-10, 02:12 PM   #1
sunshine

Default Faired Pointy chain on a naked Curvy?

Is it possible to steal the chain off my mates faired pointy to fit to my naked curvy?
I will be taking the front sprocket, chain and the whole rear wheel so i dont have to pay for a new tyre and chain and sprocket set.
so is it all possible and if it is what rivets do i need for a renthal chain or is it all down what size/type of chain it is?
thanks for any help.
Old 08-03-10, 03:02 PM   #2
davepreston

Default Re: Fairer pointy chain on naked curvy?

ive done it but its not adviseable, the adjustment is at the futherst point towards the front, also i did it without breaking the chain by removing the swingarm
Old 08-03-10, 07:13 PM   #3
sunshine

Default Re: Faired Pointy chain on a naked Curvy?

towards the front as in it needed stretching?
and any idea what size rivets would be needed anyone?
Old 08-03-10, 07:16 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Needed stretching? What the devil?

Rear wheel may be different, spindle size IIRC. Check the part numbers on B and C express to see if they are the same sprocket.
Old 08-03-10, 07:25 PM   #5
sunshine

it has been used slightly, yc stretching as you ride the reason why you tighten the chain every 600-1000 miles.
I really shouldnt use sarcasm when yc is being helpful should i?

good point never considered the rear wheel might not fit or the sprocket might not transfer just guessed that the same sized rear tyre means the rims there on are the same.

EDIT: according to banditmania.co.uk the part numbers on change between faired and unfaired on the sprockets and the naked chain is 2 links longer so i have to hope the used chain will fit i guess.

Last edited by sunshine; 08-03-10 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-03-10, 07:29 PM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

If you're having to adjust the chain every 600-1000 miles you are doing something seriously wrong.
They don't stretch, the holes elongate and the pins wear, generally once they've started to go the wear accelerates rapidly.

Check about the wheels, you might need to use different spacers or bearings or something. Plenty of the minitwinners have done it in one direction or the other.
Old 08-03-10, 07:35 PM   #7
sunshine

I loosen the chain, run it in a bit of oil, then tighten it about every 600 - 1000 miles. so i do tighten mine very often.

I will look into everything else and hope i can get it all working when we are there. otherwise its a long walk home from my mates.