SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-04-13, 06:01 PM   #1
dirtyred619

Default Pointy Naked chain and sprockets on a Faired S?

Looking at getting the sprockets and chain off a naked pointy to go on my faired pointy. Just wondering if this will work ok as I believe the number of teeth is different and the chain slightly longer.

Cheers
Mike
Old 24-04-13, 07:18 PM   #2
BikerCraig

Default Re: Pointy Naked chain and sprockets on a Faired S?

I've just text my mate (mechanic) to check for ya but i can't see why that wouldn't work. why do you want to change the gearing down?

Craig
Old 24-04-13, 07:47 PM   #3
Runako

With the chains & sprockets you really have a wide choice. You can easily obtain the length of chain and tooth of sprocket required for whatever application, so why choosing the naked in particular? The reference to naked is only, as BikerCraig, in relation to gearing down (quicker acceleration).

For the record, I've already done this but just chose the gearing I wanted rather than purchase something described specifically as 'naked' configuration. And yes, one tooth does make a noticeable if not dramatic difference. As I don't (try to) do motorway cruising, its suits my riding preference as I enjoy working the gears more and getting that extra zip. So yes, it works fine.

There is a sprocket calculator knocking about somewhere that tells you exactly what you will get with the different gearing options. Most important is to get the right length of chain for your sprocket combo. Everything else is gravy.
Old 24-04-13, 07:54 PM   #4
dirtyred619

Just looking at buying a nice gold renthal chain and sprockets off another org'er but its currently on a naked pointy. Like new apparently too so thought it would be worth a punt. Id prefer the same set up as my faired but as its a lot cheaper than new as long as it fits without any problems then I'm happy to go with it.

What kind of differences are there in between the 2 configurations?
Old 24-04-13, 07:58 PM   #5
DJ123
Mega Poster

IIRC the naked has a larger rear sprocket, and so the chain has 2 links extra. This is only a vague rememberance, await for someone else to confirm!

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-13, 08:01 PM   #6
dirtyred619

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post
IIRC the naked has a larger rear sprocket, and so the chain has 2 links extra. This is only a vague rememberance, await for someone else to confirm!
I think you're right from what I've heard also. Was just wondering if it would cause any problems or not be advisable to swap.
Old 24-04-13, 08:06 PM   #7
Runako

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyred619 View Post
I think you're right from what I've heard also. Was just wondering if it would cause any problems or not be advisable to swap.
Sounds about right. No, wouldn't cause any problems. As long as the chain and sprockets match and the frames are the same then it all it changes is the gearing characteristics.

Obviously if its more revvy your fuel economy will go down a bit but really comes down to how you ride. Maybe a little less comfortable for urban riding (but I can't remember what it was like before anyway).

However, I personally would not buy a second hand chain simply because I would want the satisfaction of knowing how this was used from new. But I stress, this is just personal choice.

Last edited by Runako; 24-04-13 at 08:08 PM.
Old 24-04-13, 08:11 PM   #8
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Its up one on the rear on the Naked and a 2 link longer chain (110 instead of 108 )

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-13, 08:14 PM   #9
dirtyred619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runako View Post
Sounds about right. No, wouldn't cause any problems. As long as the chain and sprockets match and the frames are the same then it all it changes is the gearing characteristics.

Obviously if its more revvy your fuel economy will go down a bit but really comes down to how you ride. Maybe a little less comfortable for urban riding (but I can't remember what it was like before anyway).

However, I personally would not buy a second hand chain simply because I would want the satisfaction of knowing how this was used from new. But I stress, this is just personal choice.
I know what you mean. It's only recently been put on and had a Scotoiler attached so subject to seeing some pics I'm happy to give it a go.

Hadn't really thought about the affect on fuel economy, I'm assuming its only a minimal difference?
Old 24-04-13, 08:22 PM   #10
Runako

I stopped caring a while ago. I ride for fun so, although petrol is expensive, if fuel economy was a priority I'd go two teeth down! Good luck with it bud, should be alright.