SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-01-08, 10:53 PM   #31
grh1904

Default Re: Police policing the police demonstration

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
No offence but the police have it easy at the moment.

I respect that the police think they are getting done but lets just put it in perspective... Police have it cushy.
Done a 2-10 shift today, stopped a local smack head, JUST managed to get my face out the road as he spat at me, he is by the way a hepatitis C carrier.

About 2 weeks ago I saw a car that did a drive off from a petrol station, stepped out into the road and gave a clear STOP hand signal. Driver gunned the engine, drove at me, I stepped back towards pavement, car mounted pavement.
Old 23-01-08, 11:19 PM   #32
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by grh1904 View Post
Done a 2-10 shift today, stopped a local smack head, JUST managed to get my face out the road as he spat at me, he is by the way a hepatitis C carrier.

About 2 weeks ago I saw a car that did a drive off from a petrol station, stepped out into the road and gave a clear STOP hand signal. Driver gunned the engine, drove at me, I stepped back towards pavement, car mounted pavement.
Like I said I respect the people... or did more so before this. Thats what I mean by perspective, watch Ross Kemp in Afghanistan.
Old 23-01-08, 11:37 PM   #33
northwind
Mega Poster

You should all get some perspective, lithuanian street prostitutes have it much worse. Seriously, since when did "Someone else is worse off" become an argument against improving someone's lot? Why not say "Let's sort both".
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-08, 11:47 PM   #34
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
You should all get some perspective, lithuanian street prostitutes have it much worse. Seriously, since when did "Someone else is worse off" become an argument against improving someone's lot? Why not say "Let's sort both".

Indeed...

I was mearly pointing out that if they think that their emplyer is screwing them (the government) and that they arnt as screwd over as others under the same empolyer so should perhapse be happier about their lot...

Ill tell you how to sort this. Vote Conservative! Last time they send us to war we got payed for it, none of this ?2 an hour business. Im sure they would help the Police too.
Old 23-01-08, 11:56 PM   #35
Goonermadness

I normally stick out of the police threads but I've been run over, shot at (once), bitten, kicked, punched, spat on and shat on. Nothing special in that. And I fully admit that I signed up knowing (largely) what I was getting myself in for. I accept that it's my job to put up with all this.

I don't ask for thanks or any recognition bar the wage increase that I was promised. That equates to around ?175 for me and my family. I don't even care about the money, it's more the principle of being promised something and then being short-changed it whilst money pours out to other areas. No offence, but why are we spending 500 million on aid to Afghanistan? Makes the 30 million the police ask for look like very small change.

What did I do to deserve it? Last year my colleague and I recovered ?100k of nicked bikes and cars (or at least the majority of the bits) in a ringing shop. It would break your hearts to see what they did to a couple of the R1's. That's got to be worth, ?175 at least.
Old 24-01-08, 06:38 AM   #36
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by grh1904 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluethunder View Post
In the last few weeks I have pulled people for a smoking car weck, chased after armed suspects, gone into a domstic battons draw becasue it was going wrong. Was on a crime scene where a guy was found hanging by his neck.....that is just some of normal days work. Tueday moring just got to work, next thing I'm dealing with an RTC, with possiable serious injury, would you know what do if you saw that happen?
Ok, I don't want to seem insensitive here, but I can't see how any of this is relevant in this discussion. Surely you knew when you signed up what the job involved so none of the above should have come as a surprise. Working hard for a pay-rise is fair enough but it's not really valid to use the not-so-pretty details of the job as shock tactics.

I do agree though that the government should back what they had originally promised.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30

Last edited by lukemillar; 24-01-08 at 06:41 AM. Reason: spelling
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-08, 09:58 AM   #37
Jabba

Kinda spooky, eh?

http://newsbiscuit.com/article/polic...ce-protest-285
Old 24-01-08, 10:06 AM   #38
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Very good Jabba!

Love this line;

"A video of a police dog attempting to bite itself has been posted on YouTube."

'cos thos dogs go soooooo nuts, I wouldn't be at all surprised if one did bite itself. They certainly bite the handlers and any other "colleagues" who get in the way.

I also agree with Lukemillar about "shock tactics" on the thread. Those of us who serve joined the job knowing what we were getting into. Get used to it, it's only going to get worse!

This is only about the Gov't promising one thing, then reneging on the deal. It's not about how we think we deserve better pay than other public sector workers, it's about making a stand over being shafted.

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-08, 11:05 AM   #39
metalmonkey

Was meant to be nothing like a "shock tactic" just trying show what happens on a daily bases.

Yes I firmly knew what I have singed up, for and didn't give it a second though, I choose to work where I did as well I knew what I was in for.

Its a point of princiable and fairness, and to stop further rights being taken away.
Old 24-01-08, 11:21 AM   #40
grh1904

I didn't put up my posts as a way of shock tactics, like others I was merely showing it as it is. How would it be if we the Police went back on our word, "Yes we will arrest and prosecute the NAMED suspect who robbed/raped/burgled/TWOC'd your car etc. Then a month later say "Ahh well yes we need to control public spending,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so now we're not going to bother".

I didn't go back on my word to put myself in the situations I described above, as I see it as MY DUTY to protect the public, and to detect crimes etc, and to bring the perpetrators of such crimes to justice. All I and my colleagues are asking for is for the Home Secretary to do HER DUTY. She entered the arbitration process agreeing at the begining to be bound by the result/outcome.