SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-02-08, 08:47 PM   #1
jans1971

Smile what will the police let you get away with

im not talking about just going out and breaking the law. iv passed my test 6 months ago , and still ride to the book most of the time but i do see some bikers just going a bit mad .and some not so , i mean doing say 50 in a 30 or 100 in a 70. and filtering at 50 to 60. what will the police let you get away with .
Old 27-02-08, 08:52 PM   #2
fatneck

Default Re: what will the police let you get away with

If I was to ever do anything like that I'd have a good check in my mirrors for Plod!
Old 27-02-08, 08:59 PM   #3
G
Mega Poster

I would just assume that the police will not let you get away with anything other than how you rode to pass your test...........

Filter as fast as you are comfortable doing, and ride safely everywhere else, people are capable of riding safely at different levels, find yours.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-08, 10:33 PM   #4
Durbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jans1971 View Post
filtering at 50 to 60
Thats a statistic waiting to happen!
Old 27-02-08, 10:36 PM   #5
EssexDave

I did read in superbike magazine a while back that apparently the plod don't mind so much if say you were to pop a wheelie on a country road with nobody about. but if you do said wheelie infront of a school with kids just coming out or going in then you can bet your ass your gna lose your lisence

Best bet - Don't do anything stupid around them!
Old 27-02-08, 10:36 PM   #6
ethariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jans1971 View Post
im not talking about just going out and breaking the law. iv passed my test 6 months ago , and still ride to the book most of the time but i do see some bikers just going a bit mad .and some not so , i mean doing say 50 in a 30 or 100 in a 70. and filtering at 50 to 60. what will the police let you get away with .
Clean licence, of course I would'nt actually admit to the above or worse on a regular basis on an open forum would I?

Mirrors, perception and riding to the conditions worked wonders for me.

Colin
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-08, 10:39 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

One thing for sure, nothing attracts attention quite like trying to conceal yourself from the cops. If you filter hard past rows of traffic then pull in as soon as you see a traffic car, chances are they've seen you already and now they're wondering why you're hiding from them... Not so much a police thing, that's just headology, if you want to make anything interesting, hide it. If you want people to think you're doing nothing wrong, act like you're doing nothing wrong.

If this approach leaves you in prison, belonging to the man with the most cigarettes, don't blame me
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-08, 10:40 PM   #8
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbs View Post
Thats a statistic waiting to happen!
I used to regularly filter at 75 to 80 on a bike that was only capable of 90. The key to good commuting is momentum, if you slow down it takes forever to get it back up again so maintaining monentum is vital. The ideal commuter does under 100mph to keep your licence cleanish, is a single or v-twin so it can filter through the smallest of gaps, has highish bars to clear mirrors and handguards to protect the levers. It needs only to have the barest legally allowed brakes, because braking brings down your average speed.
Old 27-02-08, 10:42 PM   #9
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexDave View Post
I did read in superbike magazine a while back that apparently the plod don't mind so much if say you were to pop a wheelie on a country road with nobody about. but if you do said wheelie infront of a school with kids just coming out or going in then you can bet your ass your gna lose your lisence
How daft is that? I mean, isn't the whole point of perfecting your wheelie skills so you can show off in front of the local all-girls school 6th formers? It certainly was as far as Bedford High School and Dame Alice School were concerned when I was a lad
Old 27-02-08, 10:57 PM   #10
Durbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
The key to good commuting is momentum, if you slow down it takes forever to get it back up again so maintaining monentum is vital.
Are you commuting in a feckin' Go-Cart?