SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-04-10, 12:28 PM   #1
ChromeQ

Default Speedo problem on sv650

Hello, I am newly registered here on the forums but have been using it in the past to answer any problems iv had in the past. Just want to say hello whilst im here with a unusual problem. I have been an SV rider since last february, it is my first bike and so far all good, mostly used for commuting and the weekend ride out,,

Have a problem on SV650 started last night on the way home from work, the speedometer suddenly started displaying random numbers, anything between 0 and 20 mph and it will jump changing constantly making no difference if i was riding fast, slow, any gear or rpm.

The odometer is not counting properly, i suspect its linked to the speedo and time since i completed a 20 mile commute today and it counted as 1!

I dont know where to start on this one, i suspect either a loose connection or a sensor is on the blink. I assume to avoid tampering it will not be an easy to see and reach plug connector!?

Any light you can shed would be great, i just got it serviced last weekend and will be back to get my book stamped so will ask the garage whilst im there but if i can fix it myself then even better.
Old 29-04-10, 12:36 PM   #2
simesb

Default Re: Speedo problem on sv650

First thing I'd check is the speedo magnet on the front axle. If they break (and they seem to be made of glass) your speedo reading can go all over the place.
Old 29-04-10, 04:00 PM   #3
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Speedo magnet is a real weak spot, mine had the tabs fall off, but a dab of Araldite soon had it fixed and back together, speedo working fine again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-10, 04:40 PM   #4
barwel1992

speedo rotor has most likely gone

get a new one about £25 from a dealer

put bike on paddock stands drop the front wheel (1 bolt (12mm) and a 20mm alen key for the axle) slide axle out and the sensor is on the right hand side when facing the bike, remove wheel (be careful of disks in the callipers still you might bend them if the ain't out fully) sensor will still be attached to the wire and dangling off the forks

Part 15 is the bit that will most likle be broken and will look at bit like this (bottom one is broken top is new and fine) remove this and clean the cup where it sits in

slot new rotor (part 15) in to part 14 (the sensor bit that dangle off the forks) and carefully line the 4 prong up with the slots in the wheel

make sure every thing is clean before reassembly

Last edited by barwel1992; 29-04-10 at 04:43 PM.
Old 29-04-10, 04:55 PM   #5
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Don't do anything until you've spoken to your garage, hinting that it only started when you rode home.
Let them fix it for free!
Old 29-04-10, 05:14 PM   #6
Dicky Ticker

If for any reason the front axle has been overtightened this can cause speedo problems,so if the garage did anything with the front spindle it COULD be they are at fault,but there does seem to be a common fault on the sender unit