SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-10-10, 04:30 PM   #1
andreis

Default I did something REALLY stupid

I pulled a wheely today when leaving the lights whilst trying to get ahead of someone and whilst my girlfriend was on the back... I didn't want to, but it happened and after this, I feel really really really bad, for putting her at risk and endangering her as I did...
To make it clear, I don't haven't done it really often, maybe a couple of really small ones, but none like this one. The bike was close to 45 deg angle, there was a parked car we were heading to and there was a real danger she would fall, because she wasn't prepared for this...
What really has me disappointed in myself is that I knew the front was far less loaded, we did lots of riding together and I've been cautious before, but the little devil in me that always says 'You've got to be the fastest squidiest thing' on the road got to me this time...

I really loathe myself right now and hope to never never endanger her (or others) like this...
Old 31-10-10, 04:37 PM   #2
Geodude
Mega Poster

Default Re: I did something REALLY stupid

Well maybe this has taught you a lesson not to do it again because next time you might not get away with being so stupid.

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-10, 04:54 PM   #3
andreis

You are correct about being stupid.. I was very stupid. The really sad thing is that I knew it was highly likely to happen
Old 31-10-10, 05:00 PM   #4
Dicky Ticker

If you have power and the weight of a pillion it can be easy to do,accidentally
Old 31-10-10, 05:24 PM   #5
jambo
Mega Poster

No harm came of it, you made a mistake, learn from it, appologise to the only other person that matters in this circumstance and move on.

Loathing yourself is, I feel a little harsh.

Jambo

So, did it look good?
Old 31-10-10, 05:27 PM   #6
Milky Bar Kid

Like everyone says, you've done it, you've learned from it, don't beat yourself up over it.

Now go and do some grovelling!
Old 31-10-10, 06:00 PM   #7
andreis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bar Kid View Post
Like everyone says, you've done it, you've learned from it, don't beat yourself up over it.

Now go and do some grovelling!
Groveling checked... Still feel like I need to somehow make up for it. I think a nice new pair of a* boots would do nice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
So, did it look good?
Yeah, I think it looked good, but I'd much rather leave it to the pros to do it in safe environments and not me, representing the SQUIDs of the world in a typical 'young motorcyclists couple dies because of stupidity' story....
Old 31-10-10, 06:09 PM   #8
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreis View Post
Groveling checked... Still feel like I need to somehow make up for it. I think a nice new pair of a* boots would do nice..

Yeah, I think it looked good, but I'd much rather leave it to the pros to do it in safe environments and not me, representing the SQUIDs of the world in a typical 'young motorcyclists couple dies because of stupidity' story....

I have to admit, I probably would have lamped you if you had done that when I was pillion. It would take a fair bit of grovelling and purchasing of nice items before I forgave you lol
Old 31-10-10, 06:14 PM   #9
-Ralph-

We've all done it mate. My usual is a wee squirt of the throttle to get through an amber light, forgetting the wife is sitting on the back, looking at the scenery, and not holding onto anything

After she's got her feet down from round my shoulders she usually punches me.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 31-10-10 at 06:16 PM.
Old 31-10-10, 06:20 PM   #10
andreis

I think I got off lightly (with the get on your knees and beg for forgiveness) mostly because she pulled an unintentional wheelie today too. Although, I wasn't on the back when she did it, so she just got the usual "are you insane, doing something like that on a busy street?!?!?" talk from me.. and then I did it half an hour later... Clearly, a case of 'look who's preaching..
'

Last edited by andreis; 31-10-10 at 06:22 PM.