SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-01-15, 05:10 PM   #1
Ch00

Default Claiming for Injury - Whiplash

I will keep details brief as I'm not sure on the route to be taken.

Long story short. We were staying at a well know budget chain hotel in Scotland where the Mrs took a tumble in the bath and had bruised her arm and hurt her neck and shoulder.

It was fully reported to the hotel manager (day staff didn't have any idea what to do) so have to wait a day for the manager to be on shift. She took photos of the bath and of the Mrs massive bruise and will complete a report for their H&S people to look into. She was asked if she used the hand rails which she did.

She also took notice of the notice to be careful when exiting the bath.

I suspect and pointed out to the manager that the bath grips on the bottom of the bath had worn away in the middle where your feet go and provided no grip hence the fall.

Once home she went to A&E as she couldn't lie down in bed due to pain. They stated she had whiplash and to return if the pain worsen or she felt pins and needles in the hand. The hotel was updated with the level of injury.

Today she went back to A&E closer one this time and they did a full set of Xrays to confirm no broken collar bone or any other breaks. Doctors again confirmed whiplash have given her strong pain killers and things to do to help with the movement. She has also had to go sick from work as they see her as a liability and don't want here there.

I am awaiting the outcome of the investigation and will see what they are going to say about it but I feel that the injuries are quite serious to drop the matter.

Any org advice?
Old 15-01-15, 06:00 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Claiming for Injury - Whiplash

you could try and ambulance chaser but i fear that you wont get far. from what you have described the hotel chain has adhered to all the health and safety rules. put it this way would you sue a ski slope for having too much snow and you broke your leg in a tumble due to the snow being too deep?

there is only so much that health and safety rules can provide, its up to the individual to keep themselves safe. upon inspection of the bath surface you could have asked the hotel management to change your room or provide other bathing facility's. if they failed to adhere to your request then they would be at fault.

i hope Mrs Ch00 recovers soon as there is nothing worse than a bad fall, i would say give her a hug from me but i fear it might hurt so a kiss will suffice

GWS Mrs Ch00.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-15, 08:17 PM   #3
Ch00

Thanks for that Bibio.

I agree with you on points and don't really want to sue them as such but I feel its a significant injury that deserves some redress. To be honest a sorry and a refund would do it.

I will ask for that when they make contact.
Old 15-01-15, 08:40 PM   #4
ethariel

On the other hoof, does the hotel have a full set of records showing the periodic checking of the H&S steps they have taken to ensure the bath units in the hotel are up to specification and not worn or damaged?

If no records can be produced, are they just providing lip service to the brand's H&S policy but not enforcing it correctly.

H&S is a minefield especially as an approved code of practice is not law but you will be on the wrong end of a pointy stick if you don't adhere to it as a defense in the event something does go wrong.....

A decent anbulance chaser will probably get a result out of it, a few quid to you and a grand or 2 in their fees against the hotel chain which will in all probability settle out of court without admitting liability as the cost of taking it to court every time would be horrendous whether they win or lose.

Just my 2p

Last edited by ethariel; 15-01-15 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Cant Spell
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-15, 12:37 AM   #5
TamSV
Mega Poster

Hopefully you'll get the apology you're looking for but don't be too surprised if you don't, or get one that's a bit mealy-mouthed. Businesses are afraid of being sued and many of them, and their customers, believe that an apology is an admission of guilt. Ironically, the lack of apology often leads customers to think their complaint isn't being taken seriously, which then becomes a reason to sue.

Ethariel is right that the potential success of any legal claim would, to a large extent, hinge on the quality of the hotel's practices and paperwork. The hotel sector in general isn't the best at this. Large businesses are often better at the box-ticking side of things but not always so good at the follow through - particularly where margins are thin.

If you're not happy with the response then only you can decide what should happen next. At the end of the day, they took your money and they owe you a duty of care. If they failed in that then you deserve some restitution. If you just consider it a pure accident then move on. Both are legitimate points of view IMHO.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-15, 08:47 AM   #6
Amadeus

Is this not similar to pothole issues - if someone has reported that there's a problem but the council do nothing about it then they're liable but if something happens without it being reported previously, they're not?
Playing devil's advocate (and maybe how the hotel chain would view the matter), if it was obvious that there was no grip on the bath, Mrs Ch00 shouldn't have used it and asked for a different room. If it wasn't obvious until after she'd slipped and you'd examined it, how would they notice?

In my eyes it looks like an accident. I can imagine that if that was me, I'd just put it down to experience but if it was my wife, I'd probably be a lot more angry about it.

Will be interesting to see the outcome, and even the views of more learned members.

GWS Mrs Ch00.
Old 16-01-15, 09:41 AM   #7
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
Playing devil's advocate (and maybe how the hotel chain would view the matter), if it was obvious that there was no grip on the bath, Mrs Ch00 shouldn't have used it and asked for a different room. If it wasn't obvious until after she'd slipped and you'd examined it, how would they notice?
But equally would Mrs Ch00 notice that the grip was worn? Should she really be expected to notice this? Is she even qualified to judge if a bath is slippy or not before it's wet? (She probably is now) Hotels should perform their own inspections and their customers should be able to use the facilities with the expectation that all reasonable precautions have been taken for their safety. It sounds like the hotel failed here. However if the hotel admits liability they would then be liable for the cost of Mrs Ch00's medical treatment, and the NHS would seek to reclaim this from them.

Councils and roads are a different matter as it's unreasonable to expect the council to inspect every square inch of every road in their area and still be cost effective.

I'm a bit divided on this issue. On the one hand I don't like ambulance chasers and I agree that, as long as she makes a full recovery, an apology and a refund is a very reasonable request. On the other hand, I hate sloppy work. The bath was dangerous because someone hasn't done their job properly.
Old 16-01-15, 11:21 AM   #8
madcockney

I am not a strong believer in ambulance chasing and as Bibio said we all have a responsibility for our own safety. However where something like this occurs which could go on for some time and even be long term then this may affect the finances of the injured party and those involved then this needs to be looked at slightly differently. When I was responsible for a company's insurance we were told by the insurers that even if we undertook every thing possible the injured party was still likely to have a winning claim as it was on our property. At a school one of the staff slipped on ice on the pavement from the car park to the school building. The path had been gritted, etc, but even so that member of staff won their claim. It is also up to the organisation, in this case a hotel, to ensure that everything is inspected and is up to a standard for the job involved. You also have to be careful with signs as they can be taken two ways. One is that they are there to assist you, the other is that it is recognition of an issue that should have been rectified. If we undertake a dangerous sport snowboarding, horse riding, pot holing, riding motorbikes, etc then the danger part goes with the territory, and I for one get annoyed with others trying to protect me from myself, but hotels!
madcockney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-15, 11:30 AM   #9
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
Is she even qualified to judge if a bath is slippy or not before it's wet?
I'm not sure it takes special training, I mean you do have baths in homes up there right?
Old 16-01-15, 12:03 PM   #10

Write to them, do everything in writing and give them deadlines (reasonable ones) for reply

it comes down to what is reasonably practicable -

They had fitted handles
they had fitted a notice
had they inspected the bath anti slip -? do they have records?

If your not interested in suing them per-say write in your letter what you want from them to conclude the issue - this gives you a base to elevate things should you not get the response your expecting.

Hope she heals quick.

Regards

Alex