SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-10-16, 02:57 PM   #1
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Kitchen plinth heater questions

One for the plumbers! We are having a new kitchen after Christmas and are going to put in a plinth heater. We had one at our last place and were pretty happy. It's going to be a dual one (electric/hydronic), but I have a few OMO questions. Anything to choose from between Smiths and Myson? Given a kitchen can get warm on its own, should we add a room stat for it? I think this just cuts off the fan when it gets too warm, as I understand it. In that case, does that not just send hot water back to the boiler return (as the heat isn't being given up) and upset the temperature difference? They are about 3500BTU-ish, we have a pretty big house and a 30kW/100,000BTU condensing boiler. I don't know if I'm worrying about nothing; temperature differences are a bit of a black art/ideal state. I can't remember the kitchen in the last house getting hot when we were cooking and the heating was also on.
Thanks a lot
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-16, 01:47 PM   #2
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: Kitchen plinth heater questions

Can't give any views on the makes, but FWIW I have serviced one for a friend. That's hot water only with a fan, there's a separate room stat for it which switches the fan. That works fine.

The issues they have had is the small bore pipes blocking, even though the overall system is kept clean. When having it fitted make sure they fit some convenient full bore isolator valves (preferably with handles) and make it easy to get out from under the units so you can flush it out. Think about how long the flexibles are etc. Nothing worse than not having enough free movement to wangle it in/out or having to remove stuff in order to get to the isolator/service valves.