SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 11-04-04, 07:40 PM   #1
trickdup

Default Tie downs

Anybody bought any of the straps that fix to the handlebars and the ratchet tie-down to prevent the bike falling over on the ferry?

Kev
Old 12-04-04, 01:27 PM   #2
RenamedMonkey

I've heard some horror stories of bikes getting trashed and P&O refusing to accept liability

You think it would be wise to bring extra tie downs? How do they tie down normally? Do they at all? Surely...
Old 12-04-04, 04:12 PM   #3
geeksv

Steve and everyone who went last year, all say the ferry companies ones were fine.

Perhaps one of those would like to comment more...
Old 12-04-04, 04:16 PM   #4
furkuk

Take your own tie downs
I went to Santander 2 years ago and the only thing that was provided was rope. So unless you was a boy scout or good with ropes for other reasons take your own.
Old 12-04-04, 06:27 PM   #5
trickdup

see my post in the general section. Really good quality.

Kev
Old 12-04-04, 08:30 PM   #6
Jelster

We had no problems at all last year, although I would suggest that you take a couple of cloths to make sure they don't rub against the paintwork.

Good tips....

Leave it in gear & put a small bungie cord around the front brake lever, therefore locking both wheels....
Old 13-04-04, 11:20 AM   #7
RenamedMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster
Leave it in gear & put a small bungie cord around the front brake lever, therefore locking both wheels....
Good idea, thanks :P
Old 17-03-05, 01:47 PM   #8
Chris1

Default Tie downs not needed!!!!

Last June I took my SV on a tour of France and Spain for 5 weeks. I sailed from Rosslare to Roscoff. As it was my first time on the boat with a bike I asked the guys on the boat to tie down the bike. I simply used my gloves as padding for where the straps would touch my bike, and the guy who did it was a true gent. The moral of this story is............ask politely, these guys don't mind helping.

Chris

"If it's broke, fix it. If it isn't broke fix it until it is!"