SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-02-19, 08:02 PM   #6991
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed
Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

BTW my charge hand that night was 64 years old and got the minimum payoff like the rest of us (35 years service for him) but a great pension so he was well in, he came into the office hugged me and cried.

Hope all works out well for you Darren.
Old 01-02-19, 08:22 PM   #6992
maviczap
Mega Poster

That's **** Darren especially this time of year. Hoping something comes your way soon
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 08:27 AM   #6993
peterco

Sorry to hear that Darren , was it McGill's
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...ntral-47089354
SV650 Naked
BMW 650cs Scarfer
MZ RT 125 4 stroke
peterco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 12:17 PM   #6994
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Thanks guys. Yes it was Peter
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 12:23 PM   #6995
Bibio
Mega Poster

thats shizz news Daz.. hope you find another job soon.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 12:44 PM   #6996
timwilky
Mega Poster

Many years ago I was on a customer site halfway through a system upgrade when I got the phone call that I wsa redundant. So packed up and drove the 100 miles back to the office to be told here is your statutory minimum sod off and don''t come back. So went home and got the phone call where is your car.
My contract says I am entitled to a months notice so pay me properly and you get the car back at the end of the month. so lots of threats of calling the police for my theft of the car.

Then I get another call. Can I go back and finish the upgrade as the customer cannot work with an system with half the guts hanging out. and there is nobody capable of doing it. So I go back to the office and agree a contract with the administrators that sees me employed for a month. They realiased the upgrade I was developing was worth 30 grand to the company and assumed retained staff could do it and I was too expensive and with only 1 year in they could get rid easily.

It gave me time to get a new job and not out of pocket. Unfortunately not everyone was in the same position. One sales guy was on a trip to australia where he was made redundant over the phone. His hotel were told they were creditors, his hire car was not being paid and he had to find his own way home.
Old 03-02-19, 02:45 PM   #6997
Heorot

Years ago I was recruited to be the system manager of a warehouse & stock control system that ran on DEC equipment. The company had been bought out and an IBM mainframe installed, the intention being that everyone would move over to the IBM and new software would replace the DEC stuff. I was the only one using the DEC.

Two years later, the DEC system was still running and I was headhunted to my previous employer on a contract. At which point, they realised that I was the only person that knew how to keep the DEC system operating (it was running at 50% over its designed capacity and needed constant tinkering). Upshot was I was put on a healthy retainer to be on call for the duration of my 6 months contract and was then offered my old job back on a contract basis.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-19, 10:43 PM   #6998
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
Years ago I was recruited to be the system manager of a warehouse & stock control system that ran on DEC equipment. The company had been bought out and an IBM mainframe installed, the intention being that everyone would move over to the IBM and new software would replace the DEC stuff. I was the only one using the DEC.

Two years later, the DEC system was still running and I was headhunted to my previous employer on a contract. At which point, they realised that I was the only person that knew how to keep the DEC system operating (it was running at 50% over its designed capacity and needed constant tinkering). Upshot was I was put on a healthy retainer to be on call for the duration of my 6 months contract and was then offered my old job back on a contract basis.
Hardly a gripe is it haha...similar has happened to me before now...made redundant by sold off part of a company to then be employed as a contractor by the parent company...I'm now working as a permy for the sold off part all over again

I'm sure you'll be in employment before you know it Darren....take a well earned break in the meantime

Triumph and Suzuki owner

Last edited by kaivalagi; 03-02-19 at 10:45 PM.
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-19, 04:00 PM   #6999
SVSte

Still 3 months before I can ride, Shoulder still sore after Op but getting there.
Old 04-02-19, 04:41 PM   #7000
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post

We have one guy who every weeks walks into the computer room and gives the VAX in there a hug as it has kept him in work for the past 10 years. I suppose we may have got rid a few years ago as our retention agreed with the inland revenue had expired, when the serious fraud decided we needed a good look at and have not been allowed to dispose of any kit. Technically he is the only person in the company with the skills to manage it. Even if I had to remind him how to do a conversational boot the other month.