SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-08-05, 09:48 AM   #1
beefcake

Default SV after a pillion

Well, I took the missus as pillion at the weekend, was absolutely dreading it as I've never had a pillion before . But she was great, did all the right things (bar one low speed fidget/wobble just as the lights changed to green). The bike handled impeccably well. Rode down to Maidstone and back Sunday afternoon (for anyone using the M20, be warned they are using the SPECS system along the road works, so 50mph max), then out to Maldon in the evening. Roads were mainly motorway , some through towns , and some nice country lanes with a few twisty bits .

When I got home, I stuck the seat cowl back on and prepared the bike for my solo commute to work today. Well. What can I say. The bike just seems so much lighter, more flickable and manageable than I remember it to be. The missus is only about 55kg, but what a difference going back to solo makes. Had a great ride in this morning, getting further over around the roundabouts and bends, and the grip on exiting was fantastic. Cracking stuff. Love this bike, and more importantly so does the missus now!!

Anybody else seem to find their bike more manageable after taking a pillion? It feels like a different bike!
Old 30-08-05, 10:02 AM   #2
Skip
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV after a pillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefcake
Anybody else seem to find their bike more manageable after taking a pillion? It feels like a different bike!
Very much so! I did a 2 hour journey with my missus on the back and the next time I went out on my own I thought I was on the wrong bike!

Passed a few bikers with pillions over the weekend and thought to myself - "I bet they are looking at me wishing they were riding sans pillion!"
Old 30-08-05, 10:11 AM   #3
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
Passed a few bikers with pillions over the weekend and thought to myself - "I bet they are looking at me wishing they were riding sans pillion!"
Wish I could persuade my Mrs to come on the back. She hates the bike so it's not very likely. And I walked some sticky oil into the house - must be fling from the chain - so I was even less popular. Oops.
Old 30-08-05, 10:39 AM   #4
Nick762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sythree

Wish I could persuade my Mrs to come on the back. She hates the bike so it's not very likely. And I walked some sticky oil into the house - must be fling from the chain - so I was even less popular. Oops.
Likewise. Closest I've got so far is getting her to sit on the pillion with the bike in the garage, engine off She says that the height of the pillion seat is a little un-nerving, I think she'd prefer a bench type seat on the same level as the driver.
Old 30-08-05, 10:43 AM   #5
beefcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick762
Likewise. Closest I've got so far is getting her to sit on the pillion with the bike in the garage, engine off She says that the height of the pillion seat is a little un-nerving, I think she'd prefer a bench type seat on the same level as the driver.
That's understandable, but they get a birdseye view up there!
Old 30-08-05, 11:27 AM   #6
Oneiros

Quote:
Wish I could persuade my Mrs to cum on the back. She hates the bike so it's not very likely.
I've heard of the occasional female ride getting that excited on the bike but never the pillion I think its to do with tank vibrations or something
Old 30-08-05, 12:41 PM   #7
didge

iv taken the pegs off so only i can go on it
Old 30-08-05, 04:18 PM   #8
muddycoffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiros
I've heard of the occasional female ride getting that excited on the bike but never the pillion I think its to do with tank vibrations or something
I used to take a female friend out for a ride in the country on my CG125 when we were both looking for work during the hot summer after graduating. And when It got a head of steam up in 3rd charging up hill, she could barely keep her feet on the rear pegs.

The bike used to vibrate me too. I was once ready for a number 2 and ( for the sake of decency I'd better not go into that . )
Old 30-08-05, 04:25 PM   #9
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiros
Quote:
Wish I could persuade my Mrs to cum on the back. She hates the bike so it's not very likely.
I have it on good authority that it works for pillion on the SV as well.

I regularly take the redhead out on the SV, sometimes for longer journies. The main problem is that we're both quite tall, so we're very cramped on the bike.
I've found the bike to be alot more planted 2 up, but obviously alot more work to throw about. I'm obviously more hesitant to push the grip limits as well.
Old 30-08-05, 04:41 PM   #10
jenni

although I love riding the SV I also love being a pillion.

(i think its that not being in control thing )