SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-08-06, 09:10 AM   #21
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph
My sentiments exactly. The cashiers don't discriminate any more than security officials do an an airport in my eyes. I'm happy to suffer a delay to board a flight if it means I travel safer, and I'm equally happy to remove my lid - without being asked first - so I don't unnerve someone in their workplace. After all, indimidating someone at work is also an offence, but alas, I digress a little.
It worries me that anyone actualy believes any of this hightened 'security' rubbish.

The chances of a biker wanting to rob a garage are insignificant, the chances of a plane being blown up even more so. Why should millions of people have to put up with more and more inconvenience because of idiotic people and their paranoid delusions.
Old 24-08-06, 09:17 AM   #22
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I always try if I can to use a petrol station with a credit card pump payment lane.

if I cant find one I just use a normal petrol station and 9 time out of 10 take my lid off, I've always done this and to me it just seemed courteous to do so. Also when I've got my lid and earplugs in I cant hear what the cashier is saying to me. I also cant enter my pin at the chip and pin terminal with my gloves on either.

I really dont see what all the fuss is about. I've never once been asked to remove my lid. In fact a few cashiers have thanked me for taking my lid off before going in to pay for fuel.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-06, 09:27 AM   #23
thor

For me, taking my lid off is a pain.

Gloves off, including fiddling with cuffs.
Glasses off and placed somewhere safe.
Undo lid and pull off.
Place helmet somewhere safe.
Put on glasses.
Place gloves inside helmet.
Remove ear plugs.

I now have only one hand to fiddle with getting credit cards out of and into wallet after paying, because I'm holding the lid with the other.

Placing lid on is the reverse. All in all it's much easier just to leave it on!
Old 24-08-06, 09:41 AM   #24
Iansv

Never been asked to take off my lid at a tesco's, only tend to get it at independant places
Old 24-08-06, 09:43 AM   #25
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
Quote:
My sentiments exactly. The cashiers don't discriminate any more than security officials do an an airport in my eyes. I'm happy to suffer a delay to board a flight if it means I travel safer, and I'm equally happy to remove my lid - without being asked first - so I don't unnerve someone in their workplace. After all, indimidating someone at work is also an offence, but alas, I digress a little.
It worries me that anyone actualy believes any of this hightened 'security' rubbish.

The chances of a biker wanting to rob a garage are insignificant, the chances of a plane being blown up even more so. Why should millions of people have to put up with more and more inconvenience because of idiotic people and their paranoid delusions.
Does that mean that if you had been involved with the recent plane incident you would of spoken out to leave the asians alone & let them board? Also, would you of been annoyied about the delay due to 'idiotic people with paranoid deliusions'?

As I originally stated, I've worked in some hostile environments, including those where kevlar vests are mandatory. To me, life is a gentle stoll down the lane.

I know exactly how remote it is that any petrol station will be robbed, and even more so that any plane will be blown up, let alone the one I'm on. Even so, it doesn't make me get all wound up about being delayed. I'd rather people were cautious and did their job throughly, just to eliminate what little risk there is, rather than me be on time (ref my sig).

Everyone has a job to do, and usually, do it to the best of their ability. That includes cashiers, airport security staff & street cleaners. Granted, everyone has bad days, but we all go to work for the money, not because we don't enjoy it. Stop putting the effort in, and food stops magically appearing in your freezer. It's a simple concept.

I accept that for some people it's a hassle, I really do, but for me, it's a simple matter of taking my gloves off, then my lid, and quite often my neck warmer. Nothing complicated about it as far as I'm concered, so I just consider it as me being reasonable. If you don't like all the hype & paranoid delusions, consider your actions & how they make others around you feel, just the same as you consider your riding. If I don't perceive it as safe to do it on the bike, I don't do it.
Old 24-08-06, 10:05 AM   #26
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Does that mean that if you had been involved with the recent plane incident you would of spoken out to leave the asians alone & let them board? Also, would you of been annoyied about the delay due to 'idiotic people with paranoid deliusions'?.
Yes and yes.

I don't see life as a stroll myself. My objective in life isnt to live to an old age without living a day in my life. That means taking, and accepting risks.
Old 24-08-06, 10:24 AM   #27
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
I don't see life as a stroll myself. My objective in life isnt to live to an old age without living a day in my life. That means taking, and accepting risks.
Been there & done that, re. previous employment. Now, my opinion is very different to what it used to be, no risk is worth a life. But then, if I didn't take risks, I wouldn't be on this forum, because I'd never of left the house, let alone ride a bike. That's why constant risk evaluation is needed.
Old 24-08-06, 11:44 AM   #28
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Tesco have now (after complaints) agreed to serve bikers wearing their lids. Obviously this cashier hadn't been informed. And Lyn is right, if they refuse payment then that's their problem — simply write your name and address down on a piece of paper, with the amount owed, and hand it to them with the words "please invoice me".
That gives me an idea. I should try to get hold of a Scottish £20 note. I'd then buy petrol late at night when there is generally only one cashier working. Then offer the note as my only form of payment. If they refuse to accept it (and many places apparently do in London) then I'd leave a not with my details saying that I've offered legitimate payment and it was refused, and make the cashier sign a duplicate note for me to keep. Then wait and see if they invoice me. I wonder if they'd bother. Anyone tried it?
Old 24-08-06, 11:51 AM   #29
K

Aaaaaanyway...

... Years ago I used never to take my lid off, and was never asked to. My hair's really long and once the lid's off, it involved taking my jacket off as well to retie my hair and get it all down my back etc before putting my lid back on.

Then I got this great snoody thing - it's like a neck warmer and lightweight headscarf all in one. Makes me look like my head's tattoo'd blue with Sylvester and Tweetie all over it - but keeps my hair perfectly out of the way. So, I'd generally take my lid off, but only because I'm half deaf and sometimes had trouble hearing what the attendants were saying.
Still, never been asked to if I hadn't though.

Past 18 months though - it's pay at pump lanes or no lid off for me. Try juggling lid, gloves, card, and crutches. :P

Again, nobodies ever asked me to take the lid off - but then perhaps they can see it would be a bit of an issue for me at the moment.
As for when I didn't have the crutches - perhaps noone's felt intimidated by little ol' me.
Old 24-08-06, 12:04 PM   #30
PBx

I normally use Tesco or Morrisons, never had a problem at either, maybe I'm just not intimidating enough. I did get asked once at work, coz they couldn't be sure it was me , took me nearly 10 mins blocking the main gate to get everything off and back on again - strangely I've never been asked since.