SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-08-06, 12:15 PM   #31
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrdness
That gives me an idea. I should try to get hold of a Scottish £20 note. I'd then buy petrol late at night when there is generally only one cashier working. Then offer the note as my only form of payment. If they refuse to accept it (and many places apparently do in London) then I'd leave a not with my details saying that I've offered legitimate payment and it was refused, and make the cashier sign a duplicate note for me to keep. Then wait and see if they invoice me. I wonder if they'd bother. Anyone tried it?
My partner lives in Scotland and always pays with Scottish notes. Hes rarely had a problem with it and never had them refused. Nice try but dont think that will work.
Old 24-08-06, 12:28 PM   #32
Balky001
Mega Poster

I got asked to take me lid off and I was so mad before I could moan the steam coming from my ears built up in my lid and blew it straight off my head, making my non-compliance stance redundant.

I don't find the request to remove my lid irksome. But then I have a lovely face to show
Old 24-08-06, 01:09 PM   #33
JediGoat

Slightly, off topic, but the petrol station I used to use (when I worked in the opposite direction) were superb.

In winter, when I spend ages putting my warm hands into my big winter gloves, then tucking the lower cuff under the jacket sleeve, and the upper cuff over the jacket sleeve - the last thing I want to do is take them off again to fill up, and get cold hands.

Thing is, I can't unfasten my helmet with the gloves on....nor get a card out of my purse. So at my local petrol station I leave my lid and gloves on, hand them my purse, they take the card out, i prod the pin machine, then they put the card and receipt back in my purse for me

Top guys, but I guess that's because I was a regular customer.

Jo
JediGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-06, 02:11 PM   #34
Halonic

Lid stays on or I go elsewhere, simple as.

I'm buying petrol, not negotiating a detailed investment.
Old 24-08-06, 02:34 PM   #35
creamerybutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
Remove ear plugs.
Surly you can leave your ear plugs in if you want.

I more often then not at the mo use pay at pumps but if I go to a petrol station where they don't know me (so all accept one in Birmingham) I always take my lid off. I don't see it as much of a hassle and yes I ride all weathers and have long hair.
Old 24-08-06, 07:21 PM   #36
Cronos

Quote:
That gives me an idea. I should try to get hold of a Scottish £20 note...
I think I've got one I could let you have in exchange for three crispy Bank of England £10 notes.
Old 24-08-06, 11:53 PM   #37
Davido

I take my lid off every time without fail. I don't see it as any great hassle tbh.

Remove lid, put next to bike, walk in. DONE.

I'm not saying we should all have to, but I don't see the fuss over it. I mean as far as the attendant knows, you're some 14 year old chav riding around illegally and as said before it can be threatening when approached by someone wearing a full face helmet fiddling around in their pockets.

It's kind of like going into someone's house and wearing a hat, you take it off out of politeness, which is why I take mine off.

And who am I to deny my face to the world?
Old 25-08-06, 02:25 AM   #38
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davido
I take my lid off every time without fail. I don't see it as any great hassle tbh.

Remove lid, put next to bike, walk in. DONE. Where next to your bike? Not on the floor I hope in all that diesel...

I'm not saying we should all have to, but I don't see the fuss over it. I mean as far as the attendant knows, you're some 14 year old chav riding around illegally and as said before it can be threatening when approached by someone wearing a full face helmet fiddling around in their pockets.
Even if I was going to rob the place why would I take my lid off when they ask?

It's kind of like going into someone's house and wearing a hat, you take it off out of politeness, which is why I take mine off.
But its not a hat and you ain't staying

And who am I to deny my face to the world?
Just look at my avatar
Old 25-08-06, 06:15 AM   #39
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
I never see the problem. If asked i will remove my lid. It take 10 seconds ffs.
seconded.

since i already have my gloves off, enabling me to get my cash out.

what i dont like, is people who tell me to remove my lid with attitudes. thats what really gets my goat.
Old 25-08-06, 07:56 AM   #40
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
Quote:
That gives me an idea. I should try to get hold of a Scottish £20 note. I'd then buy petrol late at night when there is generally only one cashier working. Then offer the note as my only form of payment. If they refuse to accept it (and many places apparently do in London) then I'd leave a not with my details saying that I've offered legitimate payment and it was refused, and make the cashier sign a duplicate note for me to keep. Then wait and see if they invoice me. I wonder if they'd bother. Anyone tried it?
My partner lives in Scotland and always pays with Scottish notes. Hes rarely had a problem with it and never had them refused. Nice try but dont think that will work.
lots of places refused scottish twenty pounds notes. i have been in many shops in surrey and hampshire and you hand over the money, they look at you strangely, get manager who looks at you strangely then say they wont accept £20. they will however accept scottish £10 notes. Burger King had a sign up. Its because we have so many different notes due to every bank up here having its own money they dont know what to check on each different note. and its not legal tender in England someone told me. i find it easier to wait til im south before getting holiday money out.

oh yeah lids always leave mine on getting petrol, im much better looking that way