SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-09-07, 08:51 AM   #1
rob13

Default California Superbike School

Has anyone been to one of their days? I am very tempted to have a go early next year as it looks to be the solution to my riding hang ups at the moment. £199 for the day but can hire r6 bikes with £500 returnable (providing you dont bin it) deposit.
Old 27-09-07, 09:13 AM   #2
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: California Superbike School

thought it was more like £300+ plus £200 to hire a bike if you need? Anyway, I'm thinking about it for next year too. At first I was put off by the four level thing and having to start at the bottom, but I pulled my head out and I'm never too old to learn something new. So not been but coincidentally saw a shrot article on Bikes Aloud on Men and Motors last night, seems to be from 2003 though. Didn't really tell you much but they had a right **** on there who thought he was God's gift to 2 wheels, who also had much to learn like any normal rider. In the meantime Keith Code has writtena fair few articles on their forum, have a read over winter!
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-07, 06:16 PM   #3
rob13

yup my mistake, just quoted costs of hire there, its about £300 depending on where you go Rockingham, Silverstone Brands etc. Will have to wait and see what dates are posted next year. Looks better than a simple trackday and seems to have good reports.
Old 27-09-07, 06:28 PM   #4
Tim in Belgium

Rob it's about the cost of 5 trackdays!!

I'd do one or two cheap track days first (Cadwell or Mallory) and then have a look at doing this, I think you may get a little more out of it. But if you've got the cash burning a hole in your pocket go for it, I've heard they're pretty good (think Luke Millar has done one).
Old 27-09-07, 08:05 PM   #5
Caddy2000

I'm thinking about doing a Rapid Training day. I know a few people who have done it and they say that you take far more out of it than just a track day....
Old 27-09-07, 08:30 PM   #6
rob13

Tim ive read the reviews and they do say that you could do 10 trackdays and still not get the learning of one of these. I dont think im THAT bad at riding however I do think Ive come to a watershed in terms of corner speed which is largely down to my positioning and my thinking about the limit on the bike. Tim like we've said before either you got faster or i became more mortal in the last couple of months.
Old 27-09-07, 09:15 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

I'd love to do CSS, trackdays are ace but it's not really the same thing at all. Practically nobody who does a CSS course has a bad word about it, how common is that these days? They very rarely bring it north though, and I've never been able to make one I'd want to do it on my own bike, myself.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-07, 02:39 AM   #8
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Weaselz and myself did level one early this year at Silverstone. I think it was around 320 odd quid and I personally got a lot out of it. Don't be lured into thinking it's just a track thing - everything the teach is you applicable on the road as well. In fact, most of the riders on the level1 course were track virgins on a whole variety of bikes.

Here is the original thread:

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=89390&page=4

Thanks
Luke
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30

Last edited by lukemillar; 28-09-07 at 02:48 AM.
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-07, 02:02 PM   #9
rob13

cheers for that Luke, Northy it would be nice if they went on a bit of a roadshow and covered the tracks around the country after all, it shouldnt really matter which track its on as its a concept of riding which is being taught.
Old 29-09-07, 01:51 PM   #10
JuicyGuzzi

I did Kieth Code levels 1 and 2 about five years ago at Pocono. I learned more in two days there than I would have in two lifetimes on my own. I had a permanent smile for a week or more. It has kept me safe and given me concepts to work with and break bad habits with ever since that time. Best way to start training your counter-intuitive instincts. Reccomend to all.