SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Pennine Massive For those readers based up north.

Old 15-10-07, 11:51 AM   #1
Tim in Belgium

Default Helmsley TT - not good news

I saw the signs that it was going to be closed for roadworks for two weeks last night, then heard this on the morning news:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/7045005.stm

Not sure if they're double white lining the whole thing but it appears to be a reaction to the number of motorcyclists crashing out on it. It's no doubt going to spoil it to some degree.
Old 15-10-07, 12:10 PM   #2
jimmy4237

Default Re: Helmsley TT - not good news

Yep - they're double white lining the entire road (ALL 20 MILES) of it. Another great biking route just been ruined. No doubt they'll be installing hidden speed cameras and having CCTV and police helicopters monitoring it 24-7 just to see who's brave enough to cross the white lines on a lovely long stretch of straight road.... after being stuck behind somebody doing 30mph for ages.... and getting frustrated..

Just so mr and mrs granfolks and tourists can drive on that road in peace at 25mph safe in the knowledge nobody will be allowed to pass them. A sad day for democracy..
Old 15-10-07, 06:14 PM   #3
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Just seen this on the evening news.... RIP to one of the best biking roads up here...

tis a sad sad day.
Old 15-10-07, 07:20 PM   #4
lurcher

tis a sad day,but apart from overtaking i think its for the good,ive lost count of times ive had to move lines to avoid bikers coming the other way either on a racing line or just screwing corners up,i always tackle the road very early to avoid coppers and traffic always quiet and tend to stop in my lane rather than use all the road
Old 15-10-07, 09:30 PM   #5
jimmy4237

Now also been confirmed and hinted by the local council in their meeting minutes - the road is to be reduced to to 50mph, along with the introduction of yet more police and speed cameras. Which now means people will be driving along at 40mph or even less in their cars. Expect the tourists to be doing even less than that... imagine the chaos it's going to cause.

RIP The Helmsley TT. I've only done it a couple of times but they were good times...

But if people do video themselves on our good roads then post them onto YouTube, then we can expect most of the good biking roads to have further speed restrictions and a greater police presence too.. So just don't do it folks - keep the vids for when your mates are round for a few beers..
Old 15-10-07, 09:54 PM   #6
Tim in Belgium

The reality is slowly sinking through
Old 15-10-07, 10:38 PM   #7
rob13

Tim, I was up there this aft for a final blat and can confirm that Stokesley to Chop Gate is currently closed. Went around the houses through Carlton onto Chop Gate and then gave it some beans to Helmsley.

Saw the sign for the accident 2 weeks ago - appears he was killed at the Rievaulx Junction which is a 100mph+ section for the big bikes.

Might have to try my best to get out there again before its gone altogether. It is a shame, but theres been many a life lost out there and theres a lot of people who have suffered as a result. It will have to be 4am starts from now on if you want to experience it like it used to be.

Last edited by rob13; 16-10-07 at 11:21 AM.
Old 16-10-07, 10:23 AM   #8
rob13

Just thinking about this and I'm sure that some of the publicans & shopkeepers in Helmsley will see a downturn in trade as a result of this.
Old 16-10-07, 10:28 AM   #9
Captain Nemo

im sure youre right about the downturn in trade,

its still a nice ride up there , from the york side anyway, but the fast boys will give it a miss,

if theres anything guaranteed to spoil a sunday, its a 20 mile traffic jam.

i can see the reasoning though, too many accidents and blantant boasts of speed to ignore.

still a sad indightment of british freedom though.
Old 16-10-07, 11:01 AM   #10
plowsie

What do double white lines mean.......