SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-04-07, 11:49 PM   #1
independentphoto

Exclamation Bike Security Warning

BE WARNED FOLKS....

Some locks- even those that are "sold secure" can be opened very easily....

Lifted blatantly (in the spirit of public service) from another forum......

http://www.bikersoracle.com/er5/foru...thread.php?t=9

Time to upgrade those "Deterrants".

Garry
Old 02-04-07, 11:53 PM   #2
hall13uk

Default Re: Bike Security Warning

yes, oxford products which were the main offender have now recalled all there locks with the offending lock type. After the MCN published a article on it.

i believe most other suppliers hve followed suit but there maybe still few rouge traders ....
Old 02-04-07, 11:57 PM   #3
independentphoto

Not only that, but just think of all the poor sods who are entrusting their pride and joy to a "Sold Secure" product that they've had for a while.

Garry
Old 03-04-07, 03:52 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall13uk View Post
yes, oxford products which were the main offender have now recalled all there locks with the offending lock type. After the MCN published a article on it.
That's really unfair... The rubbish round-key locks were an industry standard, Oxford actually had more crescent locks out there than most companies as they used them and flat keys for most of their higher quality locks. Pretty much all of the major lock companies used the round keys though. Oxford were a bit odd about how they deal with it, they did it all case by case rather than issuign a general notice. They did replace every suspect lock they were brought, which is the main thing, but they approached it strangely and it caused lots of suspicion- that's why MCN focused so much on them, MCN predictably were mainly after a big headline and so made it Oxford vs bikers.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 06:29 PM   #5
scorpion

I wouldn't touch oxford locks with a barge poll. I've heard sooooooo much negative stuff about them. I went for ABUS CITY CHAIN. Great quality and good for hitting bike feeves with I've heard
Old 03-04-07, 06:33 PM   #6
thedonal

I've got a Motrax Guvnor- it has a flat key and to be honest, it's a bugger to unlock with that, so I'm hopeful it's fairly secure!!!

This is rubbish though-it seems that there is little you can really do to stop a determined thief with your bike, aside from post an armed guard around the clock...
Old 03-04-07, 06:40 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
I wouldn't touch oxford locks with a barge poll. I've heard sooooooo much negative stuff about them. I went for ABUS CITY CHAIN. Great quality and good for hitting bike feeves with I've heard
Still every bit as croppable as all the crap Oxfords tbh. And that highlights the problem- yes, Oxford chains are all rubbish, but so is practically everything else on the market... But Oxford take all the flak, and people pat themselves on the back for buying other stuff that's really just as rubbish.

No offence But a chain you can cut with manual boltcroppers isn't much cop, and there's only 2 that I know of that you can't, Almax and one of the English Chain Cos. And I think there's a Mammoth 14mm which you can't crop, but which is very easy to shatter as a result.

And then, you get the folks who spend £150 on a chain and don't chain the bike to anything, or chain it to a wrought iron or mild steel fence... Might as well have a tin chain.

Me, I use an Oxford I bought for £10, when I use a chain at all, because it'll stop amateurs and any chain that'll really discourage a pro costs as much as my excess and weighs as much as my bike No point in spending any more for a chain that you can cut with hand tools, and the one you can't, I don't want.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote