SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-07-20, 06:55 PM   #1
kolu

Default pointy radiator fan switch meddling

Hi all,
sorry for not joining with the usual "hello" but I suck at that.

Anyway, I have bought a fairly used and well modified SV650 SK3 (6 owners, 7600 miles - sounds fishy but whatever). I have noticed that when bobbin around London in traffic queues my temperature not only creeps quite high before the fan kicks in but the engine in the higher temp-range did even sound different (or maybe it's just feeling) a bit, like it doesn't like so much heat... So I started meddling around the temp switch a bit because I want the fan to kick in a bit earlier:

- OEM part for K3-K? is 17680-50F10, according to Haynes 91-96 °C, common for many Suzuki models with M18x1,5 thread, for an eye-watering £59...

If googled the part #, there are many "compatible" parts, mostly on car-oriented sites, usually listing temperature range 95-100 °C. Too high.
When you put the # in ebay it lists heaps of parts, lots of them very similar looking yellow connector switches, but again the temperature being 93-98 °C or worse 95-100 °C, if it is even specified. Not very confidence inspiring. Also asking several bike parts dealers (not Fowles) by phone their answer was mostly that "all fan switches have the same temperature". One of them even told me that it's because my coolant is wrong. Bull****!

- Checking through the part fishes one can notice that GSX-R600 fan switch is very similar, just specced to 85-90 °C, #17680-33E00. I gave one from china a shot for £7 and it worked well, my fan was kicking in way before the coolant reached 100 °C. Honestly, it was kicking in far too often and began being a bit annoying, but my theory was confirmed (the bloody thing installed on the bike before was probably incorrect). Not bad.

- Lastly I have found a FACET 7.5282 switch (took me solid fishing through their catalogue) - correct connector, thread size, red colour and temperature range 90-95 °C. Found on Amazon discounted to £17 incl. shipping I gave it a shot. Holy Suzuki, I'm so happy with this thing. My fan now kicks in just shy above 100 °C, temperature never reaches more than 105 °C but also it doesn't try to freeze my balls and stops spinning around 97 °C. Ideal. No unpleasant sounds or feeling from engine.

P.S.: beware double of the car parts switches, they are compatible and some are even rated at 100-105 °C.

P.P.S.: just checked my old switch in kettle with thermometer, switches on at 98 °C, just as I thought.

Hope it helps anyone who feels his fan switch comes on too late. Just get the 90-95 °C switch, it works well.
kolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-20, 07:20 PM   #2
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: pointy radiator fan switch meddling

2 things help to keep an engine cool; oil and coolant.

I'd always service the oil & filter before the interval suggests, simply to keep the motor running sweet and to ensure the oil is still good has good life.

I'd always check the coolant mixture to make sure it's balanced with the right mixture. Too much one way or the other could see it get hot too quickly. I'd also make sure the thermostat is working correctly, as this will aid/restrict cooling if not.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-20, 07:36 PM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Not sure if the fan has ever operated on my SV, nor on the car really ( except with aircon running ). Radiator needs to be pretty hot for fan to kick in, as in previous post, check coolant ( should do that anyway if you just got the bike ) change oil and filter too - for your own peace of mind.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-20, 07:45 PM   #4
kolu

Coolant was brand new, Halfords OAT premix (as advised by several users here), cooling system was thoroughly flushed. That is the first thing I do with anything used. New oil, new coolant, new filters, spark plugs, brake fluid...
I didn't really had a problem, I'm just tinkering around something that I was not completely happy about.
kolu is offline   Reply With Quote