SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-08-20, 03:03 PM   #11
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gen1 battery woes again!

The resistance readings wouldn't have been zero a-b, a-c, b-c but they would have been very low. You should have also checked the resistance between any of the phases (a, b or c) to earth/ground/batt neg (pick your favourite nomenclature) - it should have been open cct/infinite.
The ac voltages sound ok from the stator.
Do the 3 wires from the stator go through a plug/socket before they reach the reg/rec? A high resistance at this socket would reduce the voltage reaching the reg/rec and it would get hot (they sometimes melt).
If there isn't a plug/socket between the stator and the reg/rec then yes, it sounds like the reg/rec isn't working correctly.
Old 06-08-20, 03:26 PM   #12
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
The resistance readings wouldn't have been zero a-b, a-c, b-c but they would have been very low. You should have also checked the resistance between any of the phases (a, b or c) to earth/ground/batt neg (pick your favourite nomenclature) - it should have been open cct/infinite.
The ac voltages sound ok from the stator.
Do the 3 wires from the stator go through a plug/socket before they reach the reg/rec? A high resistance at this socket would reduce the voltage reaching the reg/rec and it would get hot (they sometimes melt).
If there isn't a plug/socket between the stator and the reg/rec then yes, it sounds like the reg/rec isn't working correctly.
Unfortunately I'm not that good at this testing malarkey tbh, but with engine off and putting the two probes into the stator wires in sequence revealed no reading at all, just a symbol (I) on my multimeter.
With engine running they all read 25 at idle and all rose to 75 at 5000. I then put red proble into each of the stator terminals and earthed the other terminal to chassis and battery earth and again got no reading other than the symbol again. When everything was all plugged back in and bike started with lights full on, the live a and earth wires from the rectifier were probed and showed no more than 12.3v no matter what revs were used. The little stator extension plug has been removed as the Electrex item I bought had extra long wires and so didn't need the extra suzuki plug in terminals. Btw ... all the associated terminals and wiring are in superb order, no discolouration or burning, no terminal furring up. All really clean.
So I'm hoping that it's the reg rec that's goosed especially as I get very odd readings and one rec terminal is totally dead when it should be reading about .515.
Can you advise me if I'm doing the tests correctly.
Many thanks. Re-did the ohm test on the stator wires and got all 3 reading .005. Is that in spec?
Also just did a battery leak test, ( battery earth undone and multimeter put in between earth terminal and earth lead ) with rectifier unplugged the reading was 0.003, with rectifier plugged back in it just reads -1. ( it seems my meter uses this 1. Symbol when nothing is reading) Is that ok? Sorry for this massive write up but I just want to make sure everything else is ok before I buy another reg rec as the used Electrex one I bought from ebay is goosed and seller won't refund! So a bit hacked off tbh plus I'm trying to learn as I go along.
Thank everyone for help and advice, very much appreciated.

Last edited by gadget; 06-08-20 at 04:40 PM.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 07:23 AM   #13
Seeker
Mega Poster

From your description - the AC voltage into the reg/rec is good, but the DC voltage coming out is not; the reg/rec is bad.
Electrex pop up in many different bike forums and it's one of those companies that people swear by or swear at. They do not seem to accept any responsibility for their product failures - it's always the user.
Shindengen are the Japanese company that supply most of the original equipment r/r. They are good quality but expensive, if you went this path I'd look for a FH020aa, more money still would be the SH847 which is a series type but seem rare in the UK.
Alternatively, for the price of 1 FH020aa you could probably buy 3 or 4 Chinese knock offs plus a voltage monitor so you'd know if/when they fail.

Decosse over on Triumphrat has spent many hours investigating r/r models, it's a long read but worth it (especially if you can't sleep). He starts off with a comprehensive procedure for testing the charging system before moving on to different r/r types.
https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/c...pgrade.104504/
Old 07-08-20, 08:12 AM   #14
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I have just ordered an electrex RR851 ( 7 wire not really suitable for direct plug-in to pre 2004 SV ) for my SV, it is a series type which is more expensive than the normal shunt type but as an engineer I can see that unlike a shunt type RR, no matter how good at withstanding extra heat etc - the series type has massive advantages in that it unloads the stator windings letting them run cooler as well as dissipating a fraction of the heat at the actual RR - it really is a win-win.. The series type is like a tap that only lets through what is needed, the shunt ( electric speak for parallel ) keeps taking all the power the stator can supply ( the limit is the stator resistance ) and diverts any power not being used through a 'shunt' circuit, which is why shunt RR heatsink can approach the temperature of the Suns core......

What you really need is one of these with the sensor clamped to RR heatsink...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-110-c-...MAAOSwMn5b0DwK

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 07-08-20 at 08:15 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 04:59 PM   #15
gadget

Really appreciate all the information and advice peeps, probably going to re test everything once more following decosse guide to the letter just so I'm happy it's definitely the reg rec that's goosed. Shame about my ebay purchase of the RR85 regulator, I thought all would be well afterwards but unfortunately not.
Been well n truly scammed there. The ' direct to battery' mod seems like a no brainer really.
On that subject.... I have a spare nice long charging lead from an Oxford battery charger (the lead that gets permanently fitted to the battery) it has a waterproof inline 70amp fuse block , do you think this lead would be good enough for the 'direct to battery' mod ? With the fuse downsized to 30amps?
Old 07-08-20, 05:35 PM   #16
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Really appreciate all the information and advice peeps, probably going to re test everything once more following decosse guide to the letter just so I'm happy it's definitely the reg rec that's goosed. Shame about my ebay purchase of the RR85 regulator, I thought all would be well afterwards but unfortunately not.
Been well n truly scammed there. The ' direct to battery' mod seems like a no brainer really.
On that subject.... I have a spare nice long charging lead from an Oxford battery charger (the lead that gets permanently fitted to the battery) it has a waterproof inline 70amp fuse block , do you think this lead would be good enough for the 'direct to battery' mod ? With the fuse downsized to 30amps?
If the lead is fused at 70 amp then it should easily be large enough cross section to carry 30 amps..... go for it !

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 07-08-20, 06:51 PM   #17
gadget

Excellent, thanks for confirming . ��
Old 07-08-20, 08:11 PM   #18
gadget

At the risk of sounding like a numpty .... when doing the ,(direct to battery mod) am I correct in my diagnoses of this ..... 12g red with inline 30amp fuse direct from reg to +battery terminal? Then ... 12g black straight to -neg of battery terminal?
If this is completely correct ... what now happens to the factory white +pos/-neg connection block that goes into the bikes loom? Is it taped/sealed up and left unused?
Old 07-08-20, 08:35 PM   #19
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
At the risk of sounding like a numpty .... when doing the ,(direct to battery mod) am I correct in my diagnoses of this ..... 12g red with inline 30amp fuse direct from reg to +battery terminal? Then ... 12g black straight to -neg of battery terminal?
If this is completely correct ... what now happens to the factory white +pos/-neg connection block that goes into the bikes loom? Is it taped/sealed up and left unused?
Yup, always fuse the positive lead, then if it touches metal of frame which is connected to negative of battery it will blow the fuse and protect the wiring ( same reason the positive lead in the charging leads you leave connected to battery to plug charger in are always fused on the positive lead ). Just tape up the block and tuck it out of the way.

Last edited by SV650rules; 07-08-20 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-08-20, 09:22 PM   #20
gadget

Excellent, many thanks, best get busy sourcing a decent reg rec now and break out the soldering iron.��