SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-08-17, 07:41 PM   #4791
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Hi Bill, I'm flying TO the USA next week

Surely if North Korea are going to send bombs someone could arrange for them to take out Trump. Problem solved?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 13-08-17, 08:47 AM   #4792
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
rest assured Bill, if North Korea did launch nukes at the USA they would be blown out the sky before they had a chance to come back down again.
That's why Trump has 'Return to Sender' on permanent replay?
Old 13-08-17, 09:01 AM   #4793
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Surely if North Korea are going to send bombs someone could arrange for them to take out Trump. Problem solved?
Trump is doing what he was elected to do, which is very unusual for a politician (probably because Trump is not a politician LOL, when JFK ran for office his mom said 'John I don't mind you being president, but please don't become a politician' ). After years of The big 'O' at the wheel Americas standing in the world slumped especially after his years of appeasing Iran and N Korea), maybe the big 'T' will make them great again.

Don't forget a lot of Americans used to think Tony B Liar was a good bloke, but we knew he was a disaster for UK, and even now keeps popping up and poking his nose in stuff that is nothing to do with him. Now France has their very own Tony B as President - God help them (other deities are available).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 13-08-17 at 09:02 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-17, 10:25 AM   #4794
timwilky
Mega Poster

Daughter No 2

Wants a family holiday in Lanzarote, Books it, pays the deposit and when the balance becomes due "Mum!"
I only find out when I go to pay the card bill and 4 grand has appeared from nowhere.

Due back this morning. text.

Car rental messed us around and we have missed our flights.

Message through No 1 daughter, they can only get back Thursday.

I am expecting the call. We have to pay for our accommodation and flights and have no money.

My instinct is tough, if you cannot afford the holiday, save up. You didn't check in on time, your problem. But they have a 10 year old and two two year olds with them. How do I get my grandkids home and leave the waste of space parents in foreign climes?
Old 14-08-17, 11:59 AM   #4795
maviczap
Mega Poster

I'm speechless Tim!

Like you say if you want a holiday, save up!

I'm sure the kids would have been quite happy with a UK holiday, I know my two would be.

That's a holiday for your daughter, not the kids.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-17, 12:25 PM   #4796
ophic
Mega Poster

It's the age old parenting issue though. How to be there in genuine emergencies without being counted on as someone who will always clear up the mess.

Invent some kind of loan system? I'll get you out of trouble now but you pay it back. If you don't pay it back and then you mess up again, the answer will be no.

But then you'll probably be hated forevermore. This is one of those things that you have to nip in the bud otherwise it'll be you who've changed from being nice to being nasty.
Old 14-08-17, 12:42 PM   #4797
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Sounds like part of the problem here is Mrs W. Should have said "no" to the four grand.
Old 14-08-17, 01:11 PM   #4798
timwilky
Mega Poster

Mother/daughter have talked. I have no say in anything. She wants them back.

They (Daughter/SIL) have no credit cards etc. She is a nursing student, he a self employed painter/decorator and they are always skint. Daughter has to find nursery fees/rent etc out of her salary. The NHS seconded her to train so she still receives her health care assistant salary whilst a student. His money goes against the back wall of the pub. So having spent up on their last day they are now without funds.

His best mate is the local multi millionaire (worth about 50) who took them to the airport and was to collect them last night and it appears he has said no. So I guess they have touched him for cash more than he is happy with.

I am fed up of the missus putting herself into debt to pay for the kids want it now mentality. I just know she is going to transfer funds.

The friend is also his primary customer as he owns several hundred houses and the SIL is engaged almost full time on his or family projects. So I might give him a bell and suggest he makes out that funds to come home came from him and he deducts it from the invoices payable. That way I might see some of my brass back if I fund their return.

Daughter No1 is going mad, she has been house/dog sitting and thought it had come to an end. Looks like she has a few more days.
Old 14-08-17, 01:55 PM   #4799
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Managed to break the Givi rack off my Hornet! Coming out of a relatively quick right hander on the throttle there was a fairly significant bump (actually a fold in the tarmac) close to the nearside of the road. We were under trees and the dapple effect contributed to making it pretty much invisible, I only just had time to shift some weight onto the pegs before hitting it. Sent the bike into a proper lock to lock slapper and the stress transferring to the top box broke one of the side rails clean in two. Lucky for me the box was empty. Going to redesign the thing so that the box is moved forward over the pillion seat rather than hanging out over the rear.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-17, 02:03 PM   #4800
Heorot

You have to start early with the independence thing. My son always spent his pocket money as soon as it was given and both me and his mother wouldn't give him anymore. So at age 14 he went to work on Saturdays on his stepfathers market stall to earn his own money. As soon as he left school he found a job and has never been out of work since. He's 38 now and wouldn't dream of asking me or his mother for money. My daughter learnt the same lesson from observation. After leaving uni, she wouldn't come back to live with either of us and preferred to make her own way in life. Since then she has never asked a penny from either me or her mother. She's 37 now.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote