SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 24-01-21, 10:38 AM   #11
Bri w

Default Re: Buying from the EU

And trying to get Cumberland sausages here in Spain has got a whole lot harder... add pretty much every UK commodity. There's an Iceland we use for a few things where we haven't switched to Spanish foodstuffs or when we just fancy a taste we remember fondly. Some big gaps on the shelves and in the freezers.

Mind you, its already 20* this morning... we'll stay here and eat chorizo instead.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-21, 11:10 AM   #12
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Plenty of UK companies have already realised this a while back and have already started doing it...

https://www.adventurespec.com/blog/t...-s-big-move-52
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-21, 11:16 AM   #13
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Our trade prices at the shop I work at jumped approx 12% last week from all our distributors. Budget items are now priced like midrange and midrange stuff is all premium prices. Not sure how that's going to go down on final worksheets to customers.

We're also bracing for (and in may areas already experiencing) major stock shortages that will impact us actually being able to carry out servicing work in a month or two's time. We have more warnings to be prepared for problems from spring onwards from distributors too. It's all a complete mess and such a waste of our time trying to track down available parts. It makes many jobs we do pointless for the amount we can charge and the time involved sourcing components that have otherwise been readily available. Couple that with probably having to absorb some of the parts price increases by cutting our labour costs and we're screwed. The bicycle industry is already one that you need to be in for the love of it as there's no way to make even a meagre living out of it except to work very hard and turn over a lot of jobs.

It's definitely going to get much harder to survive.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 24-01-21 at 11:18 AM.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-21, 12:37 PM   #14
DJ123
Mega Poster

i placed an order direct with Dainese in Italy at the beginning of the year on some sale items, total value is about £400 or so at the RRP. I paid 30% of that and i'm waiting to see what happens on my delivery.
I've not yet received it as they stopped deliveries around Brexit time and afterwards to ensure their deliveries would be compliant with the new regulations. They also advised in their email i should receive no import duty/customs VAT and they pay any fees. So i'll keep my fingers crossed.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-21, 03:12 PM   #15
DJ123
Mega Poster

Well 1 of my parcels turned up today, no customs charge or extra invoiced received (yet). i'll update when the next parcel is dispatched/received . . . .

BMW F800ST
Old 25-01-21, 09:09 PM   #16
timwilky
Mega Poster

Struggled with the reverse.

I need to return my old laptop, the work collection centre for europe is in Amsterdam. So I had to print off an invoice to attach to the box as well as the bar code label, Give the driver a second copy of the invoice. learning new requirement to return a 4 year old laptop and surpised to learn it is values at 340 Euro,

Last edited by timwilky; 25-01-21 at 09:10 PM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-21, 09:15 PM   #17
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Our trade prices at the shop I work at jumped approx 12% last week from all our distributors. Budget items are now priced like midrange and midrange stuff is all premium prices. Not sure how that's going to go down on final worksheets to customers.

We're also bracing for (and in may areas already experiencing) major stock shortages that will impact us actually being able to carry out servicing work in a month or two's time. We have more warnings to be prepared for problems from spring onwards from distributors too. It's all a complete mess and such a waste of our time trying to track down available parts. It makes many jobs we do pointless for the amount we can charge and the time involved sourcing components that have otherwise been readily available. Couple that with probably having to absorb some of the parts price increases by cutting our labour costs and we're screwed. The bicycle industry is already one that you need to be in for the love of it as there's no way to make even a meagre living out of it except to work very hard and turn over a lot of jobs.

It's definitely going to get much harder to survive.
I ordered a CX bike weeks ago that will be ran as a gravel bike, the build date is 17th March! I'm not entirely sure it will even happen around that date if at all.

I'd expect if it does that it will cost me a small fortune to ship, apparently this grace period for NI expires around then

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 25-01-21 at 09:17 PM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-21, 12:27 PM   #18
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
i placed an order direct with Dainese in Italy at the beginning of the year on some sale items, total value is about £400 or so at the RRP. I paid 30% of that and i'm waiting to see what happens on my delivery.
I've not yet received it as they stopped deliveries around Brexit time and afterwards to ensure their deliveries would be compliant with the new regulations. They also advised in their email i should receive no import duty/customs VAT and they pay any fees. So i'll keep my fingers crossed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
Well 1 of my parcels turned up today, no customs charge or extra invoiced received (yet). i'll update when the next parcel is dispatched/received . . . .
All parcels received in good time and no customs or import charges with them.

BMW F800ST
Old 28-01-21, 12:46 PM   #19
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
kind of like a single market? It would never catch on.
A common market was indeed what UK was taken into ( I do not use the word 'joined' ) in 1973 and it was OK for most people. Then somehow in the decades after trade got muddled up with centralised political control... that is when things got unpalatable for a lot of Brits... 'trade is trade, but linking it to political control is entirely another matter'...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote