SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-02-22, 09:56 AM   #11
CheGuevara

Default Re: Policing on the cheap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i would be very careful about doing that. up here you run the risk of getting your kurnt kicked in. it only takes one nutter to get upset.

I'm 6'4", the wrong side of 240lbs (I'm working on it!), and reasonably capable of looking after myself, so I reckon my odds are good that I'll be alright
CheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-22, 11:48 AM   #12
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheGuevara View Post
I'm 6'4", the wrong side of 240lbs (I'm working on it!), and reasonably capable of looking after myself, so I reckon my odds are good that I'll be alright
dont underestimate nutters. just coz your big dont mean to say your tough (there is always someone tougher). what if the nutter has aids or some other blood related disease, all it takes is for you both too break skin..... is it really worth the possibility????
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-22, 01:39 PM   #13
CheGuevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
dont underestimate nutters. just coz your big dont mean to say your tough (there is always someone tougher). what if the nutter has aids or some other blood related disease, all it takes is for you both too break skin..... is it really worth the possibility????

I guess, based on my own experience and beliefs, I'm less inclined to live in fear of what might happen, than I'm inclined to act (and act reasonably) where there's a far more tangible and immediate threat to my children, and my friends/neighbours, and their children and pets etc.

Would any of us ride motorcycles if we focused too much on "what if's"?

Last edited by CheGuevara; 02-02-22 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-02-22, 03:22 PM   #14
redtrummy

The parish council have fitted a speed register display outside my house, on the lamp post. We now have this young kid (we think) using it just after 8.00am as some sort of timed run on his modern scooter. Would not be too much of a problem had he not removed all the baffles from its silencer. We are old and like to wake up slowly and in our own time. Not much chance of that with him riding up and down. I will get his reg and will then pass his details to the police and the district council. Not that I have high hopes of getting the nuisance stopped
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-22, 03:33 PM   #15
CheGuevara

I keep meaning to try the yellow-painted bird box trick. For certain any regulars would soon figure it out, but then I wonder how much (casual) speeders might still instinctively feel like they need to slow.

I'm sure I read once about someone who stood on the side of the road with a high-vis vest and a hair dryer and had good results
Old 03-02-22, 10:38 PM   #16
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Most people speed though the next village from me, it’s crazy through there. I’ve been doing the 30 limit and had a car fly past me like I was parked before.
Came through one day and found cars doing the speed limit, then noticed what at first glance looked like a police officer. Closer look revealed it was a mannequin dressed in police uniform.
It was gone the next day, someone nicked it overnight lol