SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-11-12, 09:05 PM   #1
sam-bliss

Default Keep failing mod 2

Okay so I failed my SECOND mod two today and its getting close to that time where the laws change, I'm ****ed off and worried that all the money I spent on a bike and the £300 odd pound I've spent atleast getting to my mod 2 will be in vein, I need somewhere to vent my frustration
Old 15-11-12, 09:09 PM   #2
sam-bliss

Default Re: Keep failing mod 2

And in venting my anger, I mean in my examiners face
Old 15-11-12, 09:13 PM   #3
Lazadude

Failed on..? Serious, dangerous or totting minors?
Old 15-11-12, 09:22 PM   #4
DJ123
Mega Poster

i'm guessing you get back the marked sheet each time. What did you fail on each time?

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-12, 09:28 PM   #5
Fraser1200

u doing your tests in aberdeen mate? maybe its just nerves, nerves can make u do silly things
Old 15-11-12, 09:29 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

i'm going to play devils advocate here.

if you fail a driving examination it's for a reason. contrary to popular belief examiners don't want to fail people they do so because your not good enough.

so how can you be annoyed that you have failed as it's your doing that has failed you.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-12, 10:20 PM   #7
Fallout
Mega Poster

Here's a bit of advice that may or may not help. Ignore or take on board as you see fit.

I believe examiners judge the person as much as their riding. If you turn up with all the gear, with a really mature attitude (a bit of confidence but no fun and games), it's a good first impression. They're instantly going to think you are the 'right sort' for riding. If you're turning up in trainers or jeans, that's not going to help that first impression. If you're acting really nervous or overly confident, see above.

After that as Bibio said, it's your riding. You're doing something wrong. Take a few more seconds to think and do it right. You won't fail on hesitancy unless it's ridiculous. You may get a few minors, but no big deal.

Lastly, take the pressure off yourself. Don't make such a big deal out of it. Don't tell anyone when you're taking your next test. That'll load you up with pressure. When you get there, don't make passing the only option. It's not the end of the world if you fail, even if the new rules come in, there are options. Just try your best to chill. And don't over think all those positional manoeuvres etc. Safety first. You won't fail from not being in the perfect position all the time. So long as your ride is sensible and safe and you make your observations obvious, you have a good chance of passing.

Good luck.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-12, 10:52 PM   #8
Thunderace

Bibio and Fallout are spot on, not sure what the mod 2 entails as I did my test many years ago, but here is a good example of what may be happening,

Recently I did my Bus license along with a few other lads from work, we all did our tests the same day one after the other with two different examiners, I passed with one minor for lane discipline on a roundabout, my mate failed with one major for lane discipline on the same roundabout, we had different examiners and when we'd finished my examiner asked the other why he had failed him, and he said if there had been more traffic it would have caused an accident, to which my examiner said he gave me a minor as there was only light traffic and assumed I'd used more of the road simply because I had the space and posed no danger to others.

Now whether this is down to bearing/attitude/confidence or down to the perception and judgement of the examiner is beyond me, but maybe a change of testing station is in order?
Old 15-11-12, 11:15 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

when i done my test i got the examiner from hell. he was notorious for failing people or giving out lots of minors. we got back to the centre and he asked how i think i done and my reply was i've passed to which he replied yes but you have one minor, i then told him exactly where and when that minor was. he said yes that's where it was but i'm still giving you a minor as i never seen the check as he turned his head at the same time as me.

i got back to the training centre and showed them my pass to which they were gobsmacked at only 1 minor with that examiner.

i turned up in full leathers and done what was required. i had a little chat in the office with the examiner about turning up in full gear and he said that he has turned people away due to them not wearing what he considered to be proper and safe gear and it was very rare for people to turn up in the gear that i had. he admitted that i gave a positive perspective straight from the off.

i don't get it when people moan about failing a driving test as you only have yourself to blame for not being good enough on the day.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-12, 11:27 PM   #10
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
After that as Bibio said, it's your riding. You're doing something wrong. Take a few more seconds to think and do it right. You won't fail on hesitancy unless it's ridiculous. You may get a few minors, but no big deal.

Lastly, take the pressure off yourself. Don't make such a big deal out of it. Don't tell anyone when you're taking your next test. That'll load you up with pressure. When you get there, don't make passing the only option. It's not the end of the world if you fail, even if the new rules come in, there are options. Just try your best to chill. And don't over think all those positional manoeuvres etc. Safety first. You won't fail from not being in the perfect position all the time. So long as your ride is sensible and safe and you make your observations obvious, you have a good chance of passing.

Good luck.
Very well said. Definitely don't tell anyone when you have your test and take deep breaths throughout. It's not the end of the world, if it's your nerves letting you down which it more than likely is then there's only you who can stop them from affecting you so badly, a nervous rider is a dangerous rider and your examiner won't thank you for doing owt daft. On the same token, the examiners are so used to seeing the nerves take over that they will gloss over certain daft stuff you've done if you can remain calm and composed for the rest of the ride. Remember, just because you think you might have failed on one thing doesn't automatically mean you have so don't give up halfway through. If you did something daft within the first 5 minutes of the ride say, but an otherwise alright ride after then the examiner will likely forget or ignore it and put it down to nerves.