SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 29-01-22, 09:34 PM   #11
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: But cyclists.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
Wuh? ..... Why make it more complex than it needs to be?
Because it works. Once you experience it you understand what the purpose is.
Old 29-01-22, 10:01 PM   #12
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Because it works. Once you experience it you understand what the purpose is.
I guess I don't see the point - unless amber means "stop" and flashing green means "put your foot down to get through before it turns amber"?
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-22, 10:57 PM   #13
embee
Mega Poster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_L5G6ldX0s

Of course some people still ignore it and cross even up to red, but it just gives extra notice. It's a bit like the traffic lights which also use a countdown timer to show when it's going to change from red back to green, a great idea as it removes a lot of frustration when you know how long it's going to be. Not necessary but helpful.
Old 29-01-22, 11:19 PM   #14
ethariel

Sitting here in utter amazement here.

Feel free to pop down to London any time and I'll give you a tour of my daily 10 mile each way commute and let you count how many sets of light cyclist's (and cockwombles on electric scooters) do NOT run and you will have loads of space on one hand left.
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-22, 07:41 AM   #15
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_L5G6ldX0s

Of course some people still ignore it and cross even up to red, but it just gives extra notice. It's a bit like the traffic lights which also use a countdown timer to show when it's going to change from red back to green, a great idea as it removes a lot of frustration when you know how long it's going to be. Not necessary but helpful.
Thanks, interesting. I note that the amber was on for around three seconds. A quick Google tells me that UK traffic lights stay on amber for 4-6 seconds, so the flashing green effectively replaces some of the time at amber.

I guess it works for them (in the same way some countries go directly from red to green) but I can't see any clear benefit to it - unless there's a case for better visibility for colour-blind people.

The count-down on pedestrian lights are interesting. As a fast walker, I can start crossing on 0 and can still make it across before the lights change. As a slower walker, this wouldn't be a case, so may not go below (e.g.) 5. It's great as it lets pedestrians make an educated decision. For vehicles, there should be less variability in speed really.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-22, 02:28 PM   #16
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethariel View Post
Sitting here in utter amazement here.

Feel free to pop down to London any time and I'll give you a tour of my daily 10 mile each way commute and let you count how many sets of light cyclist's (and cockwombles on electric scooters) do NOT run and you will have loads of space on one hand left.
I'm not surprised in the slightest. (I'm more surprised it took so long for this legitimate counter observation to be posted.)

It's become a race to the bottom, with everyone jockeying for space and in a selfish hurry. In general being hit by a car/van running a red is likely to be more serious than being hit by a cycle/e-scooter, but 'two wrongs don't make a right' so that's not a good enough reason to excuse any of it.

I'm a pretty assertive cyclist when I ride (incl. a fair bit of commuting over the years in Manchester/Birmingham/other, though not London) but I've always drawn the line at running reds - I won't defend the indefensible.

How about we agree that everyone should stop at lights and be courteous and considerate to each other? Could that work?
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-22, 02:37 PM   #17
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post

How about we agree that everyone should stop at lights and be courteous and considerate to each other?
now thats funny
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-22, 03:20 PM   #18
ethariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
How about we agree that everyone should stop at lights and be courteous and considerate to each other? Could that work?
Would be great!

(ooooooh look a pig just flew past my window!)

It's ingrained in the cycling commuter brigade that it's perfectly ok to run lights, ignore zebra crossings and to get exceptionally vocal with anyone who calls them out on it and will continue to be that way because if ANY vehicle is involved in an accident with a cycle then they are automatically blamed and the cyclists know this and take the P.

Treat it like 'No Insurance' - pull them over, crush the bike and give them points on the driving licence for it. That would significantly cut down the issues.
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-22, 04:01 PM   #19
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:

Treat it like 'No Insurance' - pull them over, crush the bike and give them points on the driving licence for it. That would significantly cut down the issues.
Points, yes. Not sure about crushing, not without impounding and charging a release and storage fee first. As with so many things though it can only be administered by a real Rozzer, and we just don't have enough of them on the roads.
Old 30-01-22, 06:42 PM   #20
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Would be great!

(ooooooh look a pig just flew past my window!)

It's ingrained in the cycling commuter brigade that it's perfectly ok to run lights, ignore zebra crossings and to get exceptionally vocal with anyone who calls them out on it and will continue to be that way because if ANY vehicle is involved in an accident with a cycle then they are automatically blamed and the cyclists know this and take the P.

If they had to wear a tag which meant they could be identified (number plate, ASBO tag, etc) i bet that would cut down as soon as they could be traced and fined . . . . . the anonymity is why they do it - how far down the food chain they are is all based off luck and how they *think* others will behave.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote