SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-02-22, 01:03 PM   #31
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: if it ain't BoZo

us old ones remember when we just had a TV with 3 channels and the really old ones just a radio. for fun we used to play games at the table or actually go out and meet people. people weren't so vain and full of themselves and it was tough.

all i can say is you wanted out of the EU so face the consequences.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-22, 01:34 PM   #32
redtrummy

It was a telly with one channel in my early days and a 78 gramophone. It was outside play, but it was safe to do so. Football and cricket on the street, remember kicking the ball through a front window, luckily it was our front window!

Re EU, unfortunately we were fed mis-truths (lies), I remember a bus with a slogan proclaiming 350 mill extra for the NHS for example and the ability to control our own boarders e.t.c all hogwash.
So I would contend that the populous are not to blame. Even BoJo has been reported regretting the exit.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-22, 02:27 PM   #33
Seeker
Mega Poster

Re: EU.

No worries, Jacob will sought it out, the Minister for Brexit Opportunities. (heavy /s)
He has been asking his advisers already:
https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2022/02/10...way-responses/

On the other hand his promotion fits in with current government corruption policy:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/jacob-rees...171908522.html
Old 10-02-22, 02:54 PM   #34
ethariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
After all the corruption, lies, cronyism, the slow lockdowns causing deaths, the wasted money, the planned voter id rules, the clampdown on protesting, the thing that would stop you from voting Tory is having to give your details to Facebook?

I'm not on Facebook and, obviously, a leftie. Is Facebook that important? I always considered it a way for conspiracy theories to be shared and, lately, something that seems to be eroding democracy.

I thought it amusing when the French and German ministers said "We're fine without it" after F/B threatened to pull out of the EU market (because it wanted to be able to pull EU data).

Not in the slightest, they are about as corrupt as any other government we have had in whether it be Tory, Labour, Liberal, Democrat - they are all and always have been out to line thier own pockets.

Sure they all may start out clean and idealistic but after a few years human nature takes over and if someone offers you a shedload of cash to cut a ribbon will you say no? - and the slide to everyone elses level ensues.

The reason I take having to identify myself online is that the big blob of data will be government owned and run and by government read in the words 'Civil Service' it's the start to monitoring every single thing we do, think or say.

In a few years when the 'OMG everyone has electric cars now, how do we fill that 10 billion hole in finances?' kicks in and GPS tracked 'Pay as you drive' starts it's welcome to Soviet UK - 30.2mph on your commute sir - have a ticket by post, 40mph overtake sir? - have your ticket by post....

Add in all the social media metadata (by ID) into where we are and when we go where, will make North Korea look like freedom.
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-22, 03:50 PM   #35
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethariel View Post
Not in the slightest, they are about as corrupt as any other government we have had in whether it be Tory, Labour, Liberal, Democrat - they are all and always have been out to line thier own pockets
I disagree. We have had governments of both parties over the years that at least showed some willingness to abide by their own rules and exhibit a semblance of ethics.
A democratic society needs to be able trust its leaders and Johnson and his cronies have shown they cannot be trusted.

This particular government breaks rules, gets caught, lies, gets shown the evidence, blames someone else or says it misunderstood and then seems surprised at all the fuss.

I was never a fan of Thatcher nor her union crushing policies but she never showed any evidence of this type of unethical behaviour.

Our democracy used to be admired but for the first time it appears to be slipping in the eyes of the world.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2011316.html
Old 10-02-22, 05:23 PM   #36
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post

I was never a fan of Thatcher nor her union crushing policies but she never showed any evidence of this type of unethical behaviour.
thats due to not being as publicised as it is now. Thatcher and her cronies are responsible for the state of the UK today as they started the ball rolling. if they had had the global social media that we have today then they would have tightened it up like a ducks arzz as they were very very corrupt and just as much if not more so than the lot that are in now. you have to remember that Thatchers era had a tight grip on the news and media at the time. did you know that Mr Thatcher made mustard gas when it was banned, their son was a war lord selling weapons to anyone who had money.. the list goes on and on with the Thatchers.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-22, 05:25 PM   #37
redtrummy

Read BoJo is going to lift all sanctions in a couple of weeks - rumour has it he is hosting a massive party in two weeks plus one day
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-22, 10:44 PM   #38
svenrico

Going back to Truss - she doesn't seem to have gone down too well with the Russians ! But you have to take her point that Putin saying they have no intention of invading Ukraine is stretching his credibility when they have about 100,000 troops on the border.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-22, 10:47 PM   #39
svenrico

Moving on to Cressida **** ( her surname isn't allowed apparently �� ), next question, how much is she going to get as a golden handshake?

We all know people in these positions always get a good payoff when they go , even if they have 'cocked up'!

Last edited by svenrico; 10-02-22 at 10:52 PM.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-22, 12:57 AM   #40
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
..... that Putin saying they have no intention of invading Ukraine is stretching his credibility when they have about 100,000 troops on the border.
I can't speak for Putin, but as has been said elsewhere, if I was contemplating invading another country I certainly wouldn't go waving the flags and blowing the horns saying look at all these troops everyone.
I feel that if he intended to invade then he would have done all the prep as much under cover as possible then just got on with it.

Not that I understand this stuff particularly, but it sounds like the Minsk II Agreement (or conundrum?) is a significant issue behind a lot of what's going on. Of course having been brokered by France, Germany, Russia and Ukraine means that the UK politicians are miffed at not being invited to that particular party and will be trying to puff out their chests and look important.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/...t-relevant-now